Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - Thurs, 18th 8pm EST

seniorita

Record Breaker
practices from twiter and fsu
Plushenko nailing jump afer jump in warmups before his run-through.
lambiel 4-3 and a 4

Takahashi: 4t ur and bad fall 3a/1t 3a
Beautiful 3/3 from Lambiel, not even full out. From overedge, Plushenko with another quad. Takahashi down at the other end of the rink. Plushenko lands a gorgeous 4/3, so much distance after the quad, and much better than in the SP. Weir with a beautiful 3/3 at the other end of the rink.
Brezina takes his bows. He has done the most consistent full out program of his group.
Chan, Beautiful 3A, then 2T.
Evan: no jump attempts

Oda: no jump attempts

Takahashi: 4t ur and bad fall 3a/1t 3a
Weir: no jump attempts
Plushenko; leaves ice before start of his runthrough
none wants to show Plushenko his moves.
going to sleep now.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
My dream podium has gone. Some hopes left for Stephane, but six points behind, sigh. Fell asleep in the sofa while taping the SP. Some of it I never want to see again.

Abbott, Verner, Joubert, Contesti :cry: :banging:

Well done Plushenko, Lysazek and Takahashi (90+) :clap:

No new dreams or predictions, just hoping for fabulous skates from everyone, please.......

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
A phone call interrupted my posting, and when I got back, I finished in a hurry and then I foolishly hit "Reply" without saving my post first, so my post "got et". I am crestfallen and hungry, so I give up. I'll just post the URL to an article on CNN site from Sports Ill. about our beloved Figure Skating, to which another fan directed me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...skating.issues/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Here's to a good skate for all the guys tonight. Give it your best shot, guys! Thrill me! ;)

ARipp42014

Medalist
US's Skating Preview is on in 10+ minutes. I wonder who's their guest today since they had Brian and Scott on yesterday (along with Evan's parents and Sasha).

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh wait, Michael Weiss says Johnny DID practice jumps. Including a quad! but slightly two-footed....

I'm not an Evan hater ... I just don't particularly like him :biggrin: Seriously I thought he was great in the SP, didn't like it but he was good and though I thought his PCS was too high compared to some (not Plushenko btw) in general I thought it was a good job by the judges for the first three. I just don't like him. At all.
Excellent post!. You can differentiate between a competitive skater who conforms to the CoP and an enjoyable skater by non sporting standards. Of course there are those rare skaters who can please the viewer and the competitive know-how. In this case, I think Dai can be most competitive as well as enjoyable to watch.

But the LP is a serious part of this comp and the CoP rules!

Last edited:

ademption

Rinkside
Thanks seniorita for the twitter update. Really appreciate it.

Not good that Daisuke still is having problems with his quad. Ugh!! Interesting that Johnny Weir did not attempt to practice the quad today. Does that mean it's out in his free skate? Plushenko's jumps sound impressive. I think I remember hearing several years ago that Russians don't do actual run throughs but just practice jumps during practices. But I don't remember where I heard that or even if I misunderstood what I heard or what. I do remember back in the day hearing that Russian singles lacked the stamina to complete their jumps towards the end of the program and that's why they frontloaded everything. That was during the 6.0 era though. Definitely different training technique....

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's never been planned in his LP.

Michael Weiss tweets that Johnny tried a quad and slightly two-footed it. He's been saying he might throw in the quad just for the heck of it. My bet is that he won't. I'm with Dick Button on Johnny. His skating is much more careful and conservative than his costumes and talk imply.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by Medusa
I actually predict that Evan will win, which will result in my demise as a figure skating fan.

Originally Posted by Spun Silver
Me too... and it will be a mass grave. Most of GS will be in there.

Originally Posted by Buttercup
I would be forced to turn to a fate possibly worse than death: the ladiezzzzz.

I would be joining you all if that were to happen. I shudder to think about it. Definitely worst case scenario.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I've already given up hope on the ladies. If Evan wins, I quit.
I hope Johnny does a quad and lands it perfectly, if for no other reason than I would love it rubbed in the face of Scott Hamilton who hates him.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I just made the same mistake twice, and lost my post again. Oh well, serves me right. I'll just say that this contest is too tense, and so, as with the SP, I shan't be posting about it until the next day, if at all. I just hope that the judges will be more fair to the newer, younger entrants, than I think they were in the SP. Take heart, guys; don't let them grind you down. ;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I've already given up hope on the ladies. If Evan wins, I quit.
I hope Johnny does a quad and lands it perfectly, if for no other reason than I would love it rubbed in the face of Scott Hamilton who hates him.

It did get on my nerves Tuesday when they (was it Scott) were banging on about how they were afraid Johnny would "trivialize" himself with his off ice talk and activities, and how they were "so happy" to see him skate well. I'm sure Johnny works hard even though he has his reality show and what not. I doubt Galina would stand for anything else.

I think Johnny is great for skating. It's terrific anytime casual fans get to know a skater who isn't necessarily an OGM contender. It's kind of tragedy that so much of the world might never know what an amazing skater Jeremy Abbott is for instance... but the skating fans know and he will always be a two-time national champion no matter what.

On another note, I'll be over the moon if Evan wins. Dark-Eyes, hope I don't have to give pay the price of having you and others whose posts I enjoy leave GS ;)

figuristka

Medalist
Wish i could relax with a glass of wine but won't be able to since its on about 4am for me and i work at 8am. Hope they all skate well. They are all fine athletes.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I would be joining you all if that were to happen. I shudder to think about it. Definitely worst case scenario.

It did get on my nerves Tuesday when they (was it Scott) were banging on about how they were afraid Johnny would "trivialize" himself with his off ice talk and activities, and how they were "so happy" to see him skate well. I'm sure Johnny works hard even though he has his reality show and what not. I doubt Galina would stand for anything else.

I think Johnny is great for skating. It's terrific anytime casual fans get to know a skater who isn't necessarily an OGM contender. It's kind of tragedy that so much of the world might never know what an amazing skater Jeremy Abbott is for instance... but the skating fans know and he will always be a two-time national champion no matter what.

On another note, I'll be over the moon if Evan wins. Dark-Eyes, hope I don't have to give pay the price of having you and others whose posts I enjoy leave GS ;)

Now that is a much healthier attitude. :yes:
Geez, all this talk makes it sound like Evan is the anti-Christ :laugh:

Tell you what - to anyone ready for the grave if Evan manages to win - just pm me your address and I will FedEx shovels to you. ;) :biggrin:

figuristka

Medalist
Anyone see the Polish lady on Pop star on ice? :) Wish it was so easy for them to not be nervous. Makes me smile when i remember what she said to Johnny.
I was very fond of Scott Hamilton as a show skater but since his commentary since Yagudin's wonderful skate at the olympics in 2002, i feel he can be quite biased.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2-JOHNNY - Kill it, girl! Nothing to lose! (no diva smilie???) :rock:
Cinch that busier tighter and tighter!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good Luck Girlfriend!!!!

Spun, thanks for turning me onto Florent, what a cutie and such passion!!!

It's probably a good thing you, me & KW don't live in the same city watching the Olympics. I got a bottle of tequilla, and a whole batch of chocolate brownies with cherries on top of chocolate frosting.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wish i could relax with a glass of wine but won't be able to since its on about 4am for me and i work at 8am. Hope they all skate well. They are all fine athletes.

Bum-mer!! But if it makes you feel better I can't have wine either. I'll have to sneak watch it from work. :mad:

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
Geez, all this talk makes it sound like Evan is the anti-Christ :laugh:

Tell you what - to anyone ready for the grave if Evan manages to win - just pm me your address and I will FedEx shovels to you. ;) :biggrin:

My mom has already chastized me for having such a terrible attitude about a US skater. lol

I don't hate him, I guess I'm just bitter about the commentators' general lack of love for Johnny and the way they totally don't "get" him, so I take it out on Evan. So sick of hearing about what a great competitor he is because I hate his skating style, and I think he's overscored.

Best of luck to all skaters AND viewers.
I hope most of you don't get as irritated as I do while watching the Olympics on NBC. I'm normally a chilled out person, but Tuesday night I just about lost it. Scott throws a dig into every comment about JW and I'm sick of it.