Help with spinning | Golden Skate

Help with spinning

fog0202

Spectator
I'm having a problem with spinning. I can't stay on the ball of my foot, and I always end up too much on the toe pick. It's really frusterating me since I know exactly what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to correct it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

megsk8z

On the Ice
I tend to do that on my camel spins and it really helps to think of pressing my heel into the ice. It seems to even out my spinning foot.

luenatic

On the Ice
fog0202, are you talking about 1 foot spin?

I use the backcross over entrance so I'll try to explain that. When you're ready to step into the entrance, step with the heel of the blade with DEEP knee bend.

Then, you may try to hold your 3 turn entrance as long as you can with DEEP knee bend. In other word, HOLD your LFO (weigh on the heel) for at least half a circle.

The 3 turn will happen automatically. Don't rush the 3 turn. If you rush the 3, you'll travel as you're spinning outside of the circle. If you let the 3 turn happens by itself, you'll be spinning LBI on the ball of your foot. But remember to check your upper body. If you lean forward, you'll be back on your toe again.

It's easier said then done. It took me months to get it. Good luck. :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
When I go into my spin I try and not pop up like in ballet when you go on your toes. I leave a little flex in my knee that helps me stay off the toe pick. Hope this helps.

icenut84

Final Flight
luenatic said:
I use the backcross over entrance so I'll try to explain that. When you're ready to step into the entrance, step with the heel of the blade with DEEP knee bend.

I know this hint wasn't aimed at me - but thank you!!! I've been struggling for ages and I kept this tip in mind today (to step onot the heel), and I think it definitely helped. So ta!!!!!! :)

fog0202

Spectator
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to try bending my knee more deeply and not forcing the 3 turn next time I skate. I'll let you all know how it goes.

lutzgirl

Rinkside
Make sure you have a nice knee bend on your entry and remember to look UP!
That is one of the main problems with skaters these days ...Many people look down instead of up!,believe me i have learnt from experience.!:D ;)

SugarCoated

Rinkside
good information here! im having such a hard time with my spin it seems as if all my spins are on my toes so i get no revs and i always look down ::bad me::