Shen and Zhao Announce Retirement | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shen and Zhao Announce Retirement

kyla2

Final Flight
I wish them a long and happy life together. They deserve the best of everything. I also wish to thank them for the beauty of their skating. They were simply the best and that includes the Protopopovs.

goldfinch

Spectator
I read that China had relaxed their 'one child' policy in the cities. In any case, I bet the Chinese government would make an exception for S/Z. Wishing them all the best for all the joy they brought skating fans.

emma

Record Breaker
I think I'm the most selfish person alive - I was just telling someone that I can't wait for Worlds for S/Z to have another "skate of their life" to end their career...and I actually was surprised and deflated (at first) to read about their retirement. NOW that I am over myself, I am so happy for them and wish them the very, very best in all of their endeavors. I have so, so enjoyed watching their skating for oh so many years and from the bottom of my heart simply say: THANK YOU!!!!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I read that China had relaxed their 'one child' policy in the cities. In any case, I bet the Chinese government would make an exception for S/Z. Wishing them all the best for all the joy they brought skating fans.

I don't think it's that a couple CAN'T have more than one child; I think it just costs a lot more or something.

Actually, I don't know. Don't take my word for it.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What a bunch of slackers! After just four Olympics.

:biggrin:

Heh

ETA: It just occurred to me that they have three Olympic medals in figure skating. That's quite an achievement. Obviously, but given that that's the level of Klimova/Ponamarenko, I thought it worth mentioning.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think they should skate at the World Championships.

I get tired of skaters in today's era bailing on the Worlds after they medal at the Olympics.

Skaters should complete the full season just like they used to like in 1988 when competitors went on to the Worlds after the Olympics.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I don't think it's that a couple CAN'T have more than one child; I think it just costs a lot more or something.

Actually, I don't know. Don't take my word for it.

There is an economic penalty in effect for city dwellers who have more than one child, unless the first is handicapped, or both parents are themselves only children, in which case a second is allowed. Government workers can be threatened with loss of job, but workers in the private sector are usually only penalized economically, and sometimes have difficulty getting paperwork/ID for the subsequent child. There have been some high-profile Chinese flouting this recently (basically a form of flashing their wealth more than actually wanting multiple children), and the government is not happy about it but can't really do anything beyond administering fines and pronouncing them unpatriotic. In Shen/Zhao's case, the latter is more likely to be an issue for them than the cash. But then again, maybe not.

As far as fan club mail goes, it is actually possible to put the language down in romanized alphabet using international convention--China Post gets international incoming delivery to the destinations just fine even without the characters. I'd be happy to translate the address, but am currently in the wilds of Indonesia using an internet cafe computer that has no Chinese fonts loaded and all the fonting is coming up gibberish so the Chinese characters are unreadable.

aurora100

Final Flight
Not many skaters who come back to win an OGM succeed. In fact, I can't think of any on top of my head right now.

Katia Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov defended their Olympic title (88) in Norway in 94. After they had a baby! But no other in modern history. Dick Button did it in the 40s and Sonja Heine don't know when (50's?) and we have a Canadian figure skater Barbara Ann Scott who did it even earlier.

aurora100

Final Flight
See link:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/winter/2010-02/17/content_9472728.htm

This is all together not surprising. I wish them all the happiness and love in their life moving forward.

Thank you Shen and Zhao. I remember seeing you when you first came on stage back in 92. To see where you have come. Only by sheer hard work and determination and inspiration. I have enjoyed watching you over the years so much! Hope you will still perform for a long time even if you don't compete. I hope you make lots of money and have a wonderful family life. You deserve it all. It's been a joy to watch you.

bladesoflori

Rinkside
They deserve the rest! Was anyone else AMAZED at how fit and muscular they both were this season? That's gotta take alot of work! They can retire satisfied and fulfilled.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They deserve the rest! Was anyone else AMAZED at how fit and muscular they both were this season? That's gotta take alot of work! They can retire satisfied and fulfilled.
I noticed it with Hongbo. He looked terrific.

screech

Final Flight
Katia Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov defended their Olympic title (88) in Norway in 94. After they had a baby! But no other in modern history. Dick Button did it in the 40s and Sonja Heine don't know when (50's?) and we have a Canadian figure skater Barbara Ann Scott who did it even earlier.

Barbara Ann Scott only won one O's (and only competed at one IIRC) in 1948. Though she got to compete at Euros weirdly in 47 and won, becoming the first North American to win at Euros and the world championships

What about Artur Dmitriev? Gold in 92, Silver in 94, Gold in 98 (with a different partner).