Compulsory Dance - | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance -

viv

On the Ice
It seems the board had some problem after V/M, so I was not able to post the last comment from Klara Engi (and myself, lol), she said VM were one of the best on the night, most balanced, skated very close together, but preferred D/S expression though, and agreed with second place and placements in general except for French D/S.

I also think D/S deserved first on this dance and V/M second, and this margin between them is not very big and fair enough. To me D/S were the only ones who looked like they were dancing, and V/M were also much better than the rest from this aspect, but not as good as D/S.
I miss the old days of ice dance, this is very subjective of course, but for most couples I'm not feeling the dance quality that was present in CDs before, it's hard for me to explain this in words, but if you look at the Argentine tangos of past great couples like Klimova/Ponomarenko or Torvill/Dean or G/P (all are up on youtube) you can see what I mean by "dance" quality. Not that I mean to diss today's couples, but I much prefer the interpretation of those "old" couples, and D/S came closest to that for me.

I completely agree, with the whole post. I still think G&Ps Tango the best OD of all times and as I do Tango Argentino myself it strucks me whenever I see it how exactly they met the character of the dance.
About DomShabs - they really were impressive tonight, both in regards of edges and in regard of the "dance"-factor, as you mentioned. Ballroom and balletic at the same time, they really danced with one another and they has perfectly stretched and exact lines. Her dress was the best of the night, IMO, very sophisticated and no fuss, with Faiellas a close second.
Whoever posted that Max looks like Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy - I never noticed it before but you are right! :)

screech

Final Flight
Looking at pictures from the CD, does anyone else think that Maxim Shabalin, with his serious expression and slicked back ponytal looked a bit like he should be playing the villain in the next james Bond (or Die Hard) movie?

viv

On the Ice
Looking at pictures from the CD, does anyone else think that Maxim Shabalin, with his serious expression and slicked back ponytal looked a bit like he should be playing the villain in the next james Bond (or Die Hard) movie?

I rather see him in "The Three Musqueteers" or anything else situated in the 17th century.

I miss the old days of ice dance, this is very subjective of course, but for most couples I'm not feeling the dance quality that was present in CDs before, it's hard for me to explain this in words, but if you look at the Argentine tangos of past great couples like Klimova/Ponomarenko or Torvill/Dean or G/P (all are up on youtube) you can see what I mean by "dance" quality. Not that I mean to diss today's couples, but I much prefer the interpretation of those "old" couples, and D/S came closest to that for me.
I believe there is a difference between the Argentine Tango and the Tango Romantica. The rhythm of the dance is the same but the music may be more sensual for the Argentine Tango and the music for the Tango Romantica would be more senuous. There is a difference in the style of the two tangos. I like variety, so my preference is both but for different reasons. How all this plays with the judging, I have no idea.

Would you consider just dropping the adjectives of the two styles and simply say Tango?

Here is a discription of how the tango romantica is suppost to be "This is a romantic sinuous dance which expresses the soft, lyrical interpretive characteristics of the Tango. It must be skated with deep edges. Foot and body movements must be deliberate and convey a sense of dignity approaching arrogance. Very erect carriage, precise timing, and continuous flow must be maintained. The difficulty of the steps should not be revealed in awkward or stressed upper body positions. Finally, coordination of free leg movements is essential to avoid a tangled, confused effect."
Thank you figuristka for the description. There is a difference in the Argentine and the Romantica. It seems most posters are describing the more fiery tango than the romantic one.

viv

On the Ice
I believe there is a difference between the Argentine Tango and the Tango Romantica. ...
Would you consider just dropping the adjectives of the two styles and simply say Tango?

Nooo!!! (Well, I wasn't asked, but as a Tango Argentino dancer I think no. Tango Romantica (the CD) as I see it is related to the ballroom or french Tango, which in ballroom is part of the Standard dances. Tango Argentino is not part of the classical ballroom sport dances but a completely different dance. (As a matter of fact the Tango Argentino universe consists of three dances: The Tango Argentino itsself, the Milonga which is much quicker but has easier steps, and the Vals Cruzado which is more or less a Tango Argentino in Vals rythm, so you have to make two steps on the last beat. Better not get me started on the subject...)
As they are related to completely different dances off the ice, they should remain different dances on the ice as well.

viv

On the Ice
Thank you figuristka for the description. There is a difference in the Argentine and the Romantica. It seems most posters are describing the more fiery tango than the romantic one.

This is more orless my fault as I occasionally brought G&Ps Tango Argentino OD into this thread. But I only wanted to compare the "dance quality" of the couples, (how they relate to one another on the ice), not the dances themselves.

This is more orless my fault as I occasionally brought G&Ps Tango Argentino OD into this thread. But I only wanted to compare the "dance quality" of the couples, (how they relate to one another on the ice), not the dances themselves.
I understand, but there is such a difference in how the couples relate to each other while dancing. It's not the same for both. The music styles are different "A media luz" would be more romantic than the "Kiss of Fire" (don't know the original Spanish for that music.) which is definitely more Argentine.

I did spend some time in BA and was in that area where Tangos go on and on. I'm sure I saw a Milonga, but not Vals Cruzado. Thank you for the information. The Tango is sacred to the Argentinians.

Atena

Rinkside
well, iknow thta anith and ben are in place, but i'm so proud of them, they don't skate tanto romantica in areally long time and they really improve.

wushuang122

Rinkside
I am so proud of BA as well. They really did what they have and I am surprised how they have improved in CD portion. I hope thaey will enjoy this Olympic although it may not be their time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Who is Klara Engi???

Engi and Toth scored as high as 4th at Worlds, and had one of the funniest EX's ever, skating to the Muppet Movie score. She had on a Miss Piggy mask and he had on a full blown Kermit the Frog costume.

Alatariel

On the Ice
The board died for me right after the last couple so I just thought I'd say that the judging remained quite balanced in my mind till the very end. I think on the night the order should have been precisely that when it comes to the top places. No great gap either so it's anyone's to take.

I must admit that D/S were really good last night, better than the Euros for me so beyond what I expected from them. Technical aspects aside, I love this way of skating, the old style I guess much, much more than the newer ones we've seen and though they were just smashing last night. Of course I don't expect that to last but well done indeed when it comes to the CD.

KKonas

Medalist
I am not a fan of F/S. They skated a very shallow pattern tonight and shoud have beeen lower down.

Faella & Scali were grossly overmarked here - small pattern and very, very slow. Domnina & Shabalin had good expression but he is still not into his knees which would have shown up more if the CD was the Golden Waltz. Belbin was learning too far forward throughout the dance making it look like they were working this dance instead of letting it flow. Otherwise I thought the placements were relataively fair. No French judge on the CD panel which may be part of the reason Delobel & Scchoenfelder were placed as they were.

zowie

Rinkside
She's also really good at singles commentary. Her voice is great for it and she imparts knowledge without being dull. And I love when she gets excited (she and Rod always feed off each others excitement so well). IMO the best skating commentator (of the 'experts') in North America.

You state it well of why I also like them.

Personally, I think it's curtains for Belbin and Agosto. :cry: The CD was supposed to be Davis and White's weakness, but the judges still placed Meryl and Charlie ahead of Tanith and Ben.

I doubt that the judges will put two Americans on the podium. I think the final podium will be the same as it is now, with only the order to be decided.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Apparently the eye roll wasn't for v/m, charlie told meryl the russian's score after v/m's cd and meryl rolled her eye at that!!!

It looked bad and they should know that, at the Olympics, the camera is always on.

Shockingly, I thought the CD results were bang on for the 6 pairs I saw. Domnina/ Shabalin were pretty much flawless. Virtue and Moir had the best twizzles and appropriate lilt showing the true character of a Tango Romantica. Davis & White were pretty good. On one of the patterns, Belbin and Agosto had a messy section right in front of the judges.

What is happening to our world when the compulsory dance results are fair???

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I gotta say I was impressed by Domina and Shablian, I really don't think they make the best image on the ice since she is so large, but the charachter was great as was the speed and cleanness. They both looked hot.

Tanith and Ben also looked better than I expected, but they did skate it much more as a Tango than a romantic dance, which I enjoyed, but maybe the judges not so much. I cant believe Linchuk put Tanith in that disaster of a dress, why black and white?

Davis and White looked sharp, but they looked a little disappointed in the scores and I didn't get such a believable interpretation from them as from the other top teams.

I thought Tessa and Scott were lovely, I think the whole crowd expected first. Not sure what they expected or deserved, i guess it could have gone either way. I thought Scott didn't quite express the dance that well, Tessa was great but I felt as if he was just holding back compared to Max and Ben.