Is NBC Trying to Start Another Cold War Through Figure Skating? | Golden Skate

Is NBC Trying to Start Another Cold War Through Figure Skating?

plushyta

On the Ice
I really do not want anyone to spoil fun tonight, but this is really grown to ridiculous proportions, and I have to write something .... :indiff:

Therefore, the coverage, ie - a "portrait" of Plushenko on NBC before the SP ...
There you can see the video, and read the comment of one American, who has an opinion about it:

http://tv.gawker.com/5474156/is-nbc-trying-to-start-another-cold-war-through-figure-skating

Is NBC Trying to Start Another Cold War Through Figure Skating?

During NBC's coverage of men's figure skating, the network ran a package about Russian favorite/destroyer of worlds Evgeni Plushenko. Plushenko (and Russia) were painted as a bleak, yet brooding force with haunting music and low-angle shots of the Kremlin. Why?

Is NBC trying to romanticize figure skating by telling us it's Rocky IV on ice? We're all for building up hype around an event to grab the attention of the casual viewer, but is Evgeni Plushenko really evil? The gigantic, unstoppable Russian heads west to rock the very foundation of Capitalism using a triple axel, double toe loop combination?....

If Plushenko performs as well in the free skate tonight as he did in the short program last night, America could be in some serious trouble. Either that, or we applaud him for winning two consecutive gold medals. Six of one, half-dozen of the other, right?
I personally laughed, when I saw this video ;-) ... what is the problem?

The problem is because I think that NBC did this maliciously!
:unsure:
They are certainly very good know, which the reaction will this cause in the American public, and what is it? Many other American media, and a lot of people on the internet (twitter's) reacts to Plushenko, as the "ultimate bad communist villain", who can stop only a "good American hero Rocky" (Lysacek).... or anyone else, just that Plushenko not win. :confused:

I am very uncomfortable surprised with such public reaction in America on NBC propaganda against Plushenko's ... Whether and you seems also, that NBC did this (do) maliciously? :think:

P.S. similar coverage, NBC had during the 2002 Olympics: "The evil, cold communist villain Plushenko, against a good, pro-American Yagudin" ... coincidence or not - but the assigned of roles exists and today. :rolleye:

... just interested me, what "thriller movie" will be NBC tonight broadcast?

P.S.S. one more link with reaction on NBC coverage:
http://blogs.chron.com/tubular/archives/2010/02/men_get_fabulou.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftubular+(Tubular

soogar

Record Breaker
I thought it was a stupid video and perhaps more tongue in cheek than anything. I think Yevgeny was in on it as well bc he was totally smirking when he was talking about his enemies and winning two golds like Dick Button.

The fluff piece with Evan and Jeremy was worse. Trying to man up two feminine looking skaters by having them wear stocking caps and depicting them working out. At least they didn't try that with Weir.

NBC sucks anyway. I didn't think anyone takes that network seriously.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This can't even begin to compare to 1980. This is mild, like a Russian putting a few drops of tonic or juice in their vodka.

Remember 2002? The dirty tricks were exposed and it was much worse than this.

Plushy is just playing a little role - having a little fun. NBC likes Plushy and is giving him alot of free publicity.
Americans just don't care enough about skating and Plushy helps restore a little bit if the edge.

But USA vs Russia! That can always get a few people in front of their TV's to see what the fuss is about.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
This can't even begin to compare to 1980. This is mild, like a Russian putting a few drops of tonic or juice in their vodka.

Plushy is just playing a little role - having a little fun. NBC likes Plushy and is giving him alot of free publicity.
Americans just don't care enough about skating and Plushy helps restore a little bit if the edge.

But USA vs Russia! That can always get a few people in front of their TV's to see what the fuss is about.

Well said Janetfan!

bibi24

Final Flight

Good! Hype it up !! w00t

Rivalry is GOOD in sports :)