Homophobic commentary sparks outrage from Australian Winter Games viewers | Golden Skate

Homophobic commentary sparks outrage from Australian Winter Games viewers

viv

On the Ice
What idiots! What do those people know about figure skating anway! If they don't see the beauty of Johnny skating, they at least should see the technical quality of it - he was great, both in the SP and LP. I at least hope they had to apologize for the rubbish they said! :sheesh:

skatemom1122

Final Flight
What idiots! What do those people know about figure skating anway! If they don't see the beauty of Johnny skating, they at least should see the technical quality of it - he was great, both in the SP and LP. I at least hope they had to apologize for the rubbish they said! :sheesh:

Upsetting to see. Should be immediatly terminated.

BigJohn

On the Ice
This is what was said here by 2 French Canadian commentators:

«Weir laisse une image assez amère pour le patinage artistique, qu’il est un très mauvais exemple, car le monde va penser que tous les garçons qui pratiquent ce sport vont devenir comme lui»

Weir leaves a rather bitter image for figure skating, he's a very bad example because people will think that every boy that get into the sport will end up like him.

«Weir devrait passer des tests pour vérifier sa masculinité ou sa féminité»

Weir should pass a test to verify his masculinity or feminity. (like the South African runner)

«Weir devrait compétitionner chez les femmes»

Weir should compete with women.

They had to apologize the next day. Unhappy they were not fired.

Sus

Rinkside
Jeez... and I complain about our commentators. How unproffesional, they should be fired.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I've taken to using an animated gif of Weir from Poker Face as my avatar on a non-figure skating forum. And I've gotten a torrent of abuse and threats over it. As a result, I've taken to populating my profile on that site with lots more Johnny Weir gifs. \o/ Johnny inspires the most virulent reactions in people, and I love him for it.