Plushenko lashes out!!! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko lashes out!!!

bladesoflori

Rinkside
Good for him. It's either keep quiet and keep on eating this bs or actually say something about it. Who ever does keep quiet should actually be made to eat more and more of it just for the fun of it.

I think he needs an extra large slice of humble pie to eat with his crow and maybe a little cheese with his whine!

Enero

On the Ice
Evan continues to make us proud with the way he is responding to this nonsense. Class act all the way. As for Plushenko, I always thought better of him than this. I was wrong. His comments are appalling, his coach is equally as reprehensible, and they should both just stop before the only fans Plushenko has left are in Russia. The Russians look very bad when they behave like this.

The "whining" and "unsportmanslike" behavior by Plushy and team is no different than the "outrage" and foot stomping that went on when S/P lost the gold to the infamous Russians in SLC. As per usual the American media is turning a mole hill into a mountain with their slash and burn reporting.

As far as Plushy losing fans, please. North America isn't the only game in town. I've found that Europeans aren't as judgmental as North Americans and of course the Russians will always love him. He will always have an abundance of fans across the Atlantic.

bladerunnerz

Spectator
If there was a Gold Medal for persecution complexes, Pleshenko would be the clear winner.

And for any who would try and slap me with an 'anti-Russian" label, Kulik and Yagudin are my two favorite male skaters - IMHO their Olympic LPs have not yet been surpassed by any subsequent man.

bladesoflori

Rinkside
The "whining" and "unsportmanslike" behavior by Plushy and team is no different than the "outrage" and foot stomping that went on when S/P lost the gold to the infamous Russians in SLC. As per usual the American media is turning a mole hill into a mountain with their slash and burn reporting.

As far as Plushy losing fans, please. North America isn't the only game in town. I've found that Europeans aren't as judgmental as North Americans and of course the Russians will always love him. He will always have an abundance of fans across the Atlantic.

How about an example of the "slash and burn reporting"? People are upset over the words that came out of his mouth- in interviews and press conferences. Unless there are some very talented ventriloquists out there, I don't see what the American media has to do with it. Or was that a hologram of him disrespecting the olympic podium? Those Americans! What will they think of next? It's all a clever ploy to make him look like a bitter, passive-aggressive, egotistical diva. And they would have succeeded if it weren't for you meddling kids! ;.)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
If Plushenko had skated his best, he would certainly be entitled to make an argument that he should have won Gold. But he didn't skate his best. His jumps were wobbly and crooked in the air, amongst other things. I always preferred Yagudin to Plushenko. Yagudin had more artistry, passion and expression in one finger than Plushenko had in his entire body.

Layfan

Record Breaker
If Plushenko had skated his best, he would certainly be entitled to make an argument that he should have won Gold. But he didn't skate his best. His jumps were wobbly and crooked in the air, amongst other things. I always preferred Yagudin to Plushenko. Yagudin had more artistry, passion and expression in one finger than Plushenko had in his entire body.

Speaking of which .... Mr. Plushenko, riddle me this. If it all comes down to the quad, then why didn't I hear you complaining when you and Yagudin beat Timothy Goebel in Salt Lake City even though he did three quads in the LP, one near the end, and you guys did two, all in the front of your programs? Hmmm? Was it perhaps because Plush and Alexei skated absolute circles around Timothy when it came to every other element? Aha!

And the Russians didn't seem to mind that Yagudin beat Plush even though Plush did both is quads in combination and Yag didn't. And sorry to drag Scott into this (I like you Scott but this is true) I can't believe Scott could have wondered aloud whether Yagudin lost the free skate to Goebel because Yag "only" did two quads. Yag was a million times better than Goebel. Plushenko, too. the judges got it right then. And they got it right this time.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I watched the video again to try to see what brought about this hate thread against Evgeni, and I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said. He expressed his opinion, as always, very outspoken, and with a wry grin to take the edge off.

Evgeni has never been received well as the other Russian men, but in my humble opinion it is because he has never left Russia/has never defected, is a Russian patriot through & through, married a couple of Russian women (lol), his kids are Russian, has been coached by the same Russian man throughout his skating career, he trains & tours in Russia, et al. He loves his country, period, and they in turn love him, as well as admire & respect the fact that he is unapologetic about loving Mother Russia. Rather than leave his mother country to have the good life in another, he instead chose/chooses to stay, despite the rough ice conditions. He's an admirable man.

As a long time fan of Evgeni's, I think finishing second is the best thing for him. Not only is it a humbling experience, but a great learning experience as well. It will only make him that much stronger. My hope is that he & Mishin will sit down and really study COP. When all else is close between two competitors, it comes down to the *program* itself. And I have never really liked Evgeni's LP. I would love to see him do something like "Once Upon A Time In America" or "The Godfather", et al. Take ALL that passion/po'ed attitude & create something huge from this unprecedented defeat! And he's the only one that can do that. No other man can take 3 years off & come back like he did. In fact he's the only man that has done so. Others have tried, but have unfortunately failed (aka 1994 Olympics w/Boitano, Petrenko, Browning to name a few).

Last edited:

bladesoflori

Rinkside
I watched the video again to try to see what brought about this hate thread against Evgeni, and I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said. He expressed his opinion, as always, very outspoken, and with a wry grin to take the edge off.

Evgeni has never been received well as the other Russian men, but in my humble opinion it is because he has never left Russia/has never defected, is a Russian patriot through & through, married a couple of Russian women (lol), his kids are Russian, has been coached by the same Russian man throughout his skating career, he trains & tours in Russia, et al. He loves his country, period, and they in turn love him, as well as admire & respect the fact that he is unapologetic about loving Mother Russia. Rather than leave his mother country to have the good life in another, he instead chose/chooses to stay, despite the rough ice conditions. He's an admirable man.

As a long time fan of Evgeni's, I think finishing second is the best thing for him. Not only is it a humbling experience, but a great learning experience as well. It will only make him that much stronger. My hope is that he & Mishin will sit down and really study COP. When all else is close between two competitors, it comes down to the *program* itself. And I have never really liked Evgeni's LP. I would love to see him do something like "Once Upon A Time In America" or "The Godfather", et al. Take ALL that passion/po'ed attitude & create something huge from this unprecedented defeat! And he's the only one that can do that. No other man can take 3 years off & come back like he did. In fact he's the only man that has done so. Others have tried, but have unfortunately failed (aka 1994 Olympics w/Boitano, Petrenko, Browning to name a few).

Good post! I think his accomplishments are amazing and don't want to disregard them. He can do some great things. It wasn't just verbal comments though- the holding up of one finger before scores were announced, the podium thing, the trash talk before ( which I didn't like Chan doing as well). For me, it was many things. But I think he is talented and maybe a humbling experience will serve him well.

bladesoflori

Rinkside
Also, Irina is every bit the patriot to her country as he is- without such a polarizing effect. Just something to think about.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oda actually is quite artistic, his programs this year just don't showcase it very well. I actually think he is the most talented of the three japanese men.

Show me a performance that does showcase him being artistic then, because his LP this year is the only one I've seen that did display some level of artistry (although in the second half of the season it started to seem more like he was just going through the motions). His SP at 2006 Worlds also showed promise, but otherwise I've always found his performances pretty boring.