Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

Alatariel

On the Ice
I think the original point was not to condemn Chan for swearing but to point out the hypocrisy of his criticism of Johnny's K & C behavior.

Yes, well, somehow that's difficult to understand for some people as if it were higher maths.

I found it !!! Patrick Chan cursed 'Fxxk' in KnC at 2007 Jr. Worlds. Watch at 8:02.

I have to watch for eight minutes and one second just to hear Patrick Chan say a naughty word? :laugh:

Now if you have a close-up of Michelle Kwan's lips after her final pose when she won 2000 Worlds with Red Violin,... (I couldn't quite make it out, but I think the second word was "yeah!")

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Chan should just shut his mouth and focus on what he can do. If you don't have a quad nor reliable triple axel, don't say things like "quad doesn't make you a man" (I was LMAO when I saw this on CTV lol) or things like that. How embarrassing. Plushenko gets to say what he says because he earned that status. Chan? His best achievement is that silver medal at 2009 worlds (who cares about canadian nationals). Canadians should stop overrating their athletes. Chan wouldn't be so full of himself if it werent for Canadians making him feel like he is one of the best which is far from truth.

Come now, he still is one of the best, even though that word is so subjective because there's potential to be the best and then what that person actually does at competitions and it can change drastically from one competition to the next. Anyhow, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzD07fXSIzw . This is a video from October, and he says he was working on a quad then so I guess he's had a change of heart since?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Then please do clarify what you prefer, because from what I have seen in your previous comments, they have pointed towards, "Do the quad and you will win. Don't do the quad, and you deserve to lose."

Actually, in the current system, with the quad value has fixed on the same level as a 3A, I cannot say much about it for Plushenko, except that Lysacek has earned undeserving PCS in SP and LP. It is just too painful to see that Plushenko has lost his gold to such a skater like Lysacek. If he has lost it to Takahashi, or even to a quad Lysacek, I think I wiould feel a lot better.

I do love quad. It gives the excitement, the feeling that it is pushing the limit. But the ideal to me is the quad combines with artistry. I know it's very, very hard. Many people would rather sacrifice quad in order to make a more artistic skating. That's not good enough to me. However, without a quad is like figure skating loses athletism, and becomes a performing art.

The men's skating result this time has sent a wrong message to the world that the quad is not important. I would rather the gold to be earned by a quad skater than a quadless, also artistically below averaged skater.

That is why CoP has to be changed!

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
I found it !!! Patrick Chan cursed 'Fxxk' in KnC at 2007 Jr. Worlds. Watch at 8:02. This brat is just so annoying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks1rAWOANzo

He needs to be destroyed once and for all!

What the Hell is wrong w/you? Out of all the things I've seen posted over the last 48hrs, this is the most disgusting and sickening thing I've read.

I get not liking a skater for whatever reasons, but saying someone needs to be destroyed? That is beyond twisted and sickening.

This *is* only a sport for crying out loud. It's not life or death or having to deal w/a loved one's terminal diaginosis. It's only skating after all.

I mean...Really? What is wrong w/you?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:i know I'll regret sticking my nose in here and perhaps help to perpetuate this stuff...(sigh) Oh, well.

Apparently, Patrick's 3A had become really quite consistent and he had been training a quad with some success before his injury.. He tried to come back from his injury in time for Skate Canada, which was obviously too soon. He still was not 100 % at Canadians.( Though they tried to put a good face on it ) He lost his coach because he opted for hi-tech training to speed recovery of the Axel. His programs are so filled with point garnering detail , that he might not need as many jumps on a given day as many other competitors might. This can be true for other CoP style athletes as well. So ,in light of his injury, his camp decided not to push for the quad this season, though he still trains it. He hasn't written off the possibility of ever using it. More important in his training, is to restore the 3A to a high consistency. ( He hasn't said no-one should ever do the quad, or that skaters who do the quad are not good skaters. He's said ..somewhat inartfully ..that it's not enough to rely on it alone. )

I wish he would learn a little diplomacy, sooner rather than later, but trust he will, however long it takes. So I can't really get my knickers in a twist when he goofs.

Likewise, I can't summon the outrage of some others when Plushy engages in his "it's not man skating" routine..Even when I see translations of what he says for Russian consumption, which has been a little stronger than what he's said in NA media.. I wouldn't expect anything else, particularly when he's back in the game. ( I'm not so sanguine about the politicking of federations ..)
But ,back to Plushy..like Patrick training the quad, I notice he did try to alter his program a bit for CoP ( too little , too late) : all the while , saying skating is regressing. Evan, whatever his past offenses, put up a sign in his room saying "Mind your own business.", wily old veteran that he is. (Patrick, take note .) Johnny, having learned to couch barbs in graciousness, praises his competitors while pointing out he needs no lectures from flowing gold locks or tanned faces. Brian has made so many excuses , hardly anyone credits anything he says anymore , the poor guy.
I'd rather judge them by their skating. If I cared so much about speechifyin', I'd go to a debate.

I can't say I feel the same about Elvis, though. He's downright venomous. I can't buy that he's being objective. I feel he's wanting to protect his own image. No skater can control the direction a sport takes as it progresses, once they've retired ( Trixi Schuba ), but he won't let go. Do I buy that he really wants to shower Johnny with kudos ? Not on your Nellie. He's trying to prove his own fairness , so we'll buy it when he says it's not personal. Methinks he doth protest too much. He never wanted the sport to be even as balanced as it was when he was in it and I think he resents anything that he feels may make him appear in a negative light. He's not defending Plushenko.. he's using Plushy to prop up his own image.

The press is prone to hyperbole and premature annointings and Elvis has recieved much of this in his career. Recently some sillies ( Rod Black among them, I believe ) have speculated that Patrick holds the potential to become our greatest champion ever. I guess the great Elvis doesn't take that personally, either.

So to those who look to Elvis to rationalize an extreme position..consider the source.:scowl:

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so glad the great Alexei Urmanov and Ilia Kulik are Olympic champions, both fully deserved! :rock:

ranjake

Final Flight
was so stojko really a no-show for the figure skating review/preview on universal sports today? i really enjoy michael weiss' analysis this year. a russian reporter was on as well. and peter carruthers is mad!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Actually, in the current system, with the quad value has fixed on the same level as a 3A, I cannot say much about it for Plushenko, except that Lysacek has earned undeserving PCS in SP and LP. It is just too painful to see that Plushenko has lost his gold to such a skater like Lysacek. If he has lost it to Takahashi, or even to a quad Lysacek, I think I wiould feel a lot better.
--------
The men's skating result this time has sent a wrong message to the world that the quad is not important. I would rather the gold to be earned by a quad skater than a quadless, also artistically below averaged skater.

I didn't interpret it like that. I saw it as, "If Plushenko's landing were more secure, he would've won."

The End. Nothing about Lysacek at all.

But I do agree that if Dai had landed the quad and won, I would've felt better, because to me, his program had more fire and passion than Lysacek's and Plushenko's had and we saw that reflected in the PCS scores. He had 84 when they had 82.

I'm just upset that Dai didn't land it and jump a little cleaner, because I loved his program.

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice

I do love quad. It gives the excitement, the feeling that it is pushing the limit. But the ideal to me is the quad combines with artistry. I know it's very, very hard. Many people would rather sacrifice quad in order to make a more artistic skating. That's not good enough to me. However, without a quad is like figure skating loses athletism, and becomes a performing art.

I think it sent the message that you can do a quad but if you dance like a hootchie-cootchie man at the end of the program, it won't be rewarded.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I didn't interpret it like that. I saw it as, "If Plushenko's landing were more secure, he would've won."

The End. Nothing about Lysacek at all.

But I do agree that if Dai had landed the quad and won, I would've felt better, because to me, his program had more fire and passion than Lysacek's and Plushenko's had and we saw that reflected in the PCS scores. He had 84 when they had 82.

I'm just upset that Dai didn't land it and jump a little cleaner, because I loved his program.

Even though Dai's PCS was 84, compares with Lysacek's 82, (or even Plushenko's 82, to be honest), it was waaayyy too low. Either raise Dai's PCS to above 90 or reduce Lysacek's PCS to 70's should be more fair.

sarahmistral

On the Ice

This raises the question, for me, of how difficult it is to quantify the artistic side of this judged sport. Many have voiced the concern that, for them Evan didn't cut it artistically, but he didn't do the hardest tricks either. As spectators not instantly privy to replays of rotations, footwork sequences, and all the other elements that CoP has dissected the judging of a single skate into, the overall 'skate' with its many magical intangibles like flow and musicality is what many of us as fans are keen to take in, along with the exciting tricks, like quads in the men's competition. The 'by-the-numbers' approach, however, while originally intended to make judging fairer, seems to have leveled the playing field for skaters who neither do the hardest tricks nor are artistically or musically gifted. Under this system, the workmanlike can advance at the expense of the more gifted but perhaps frail mentally (sigh, Jeremy), and, for me, at any rate, also at the expense of transcendent performances. Thus, CoP will never call into question, for me, anyways, a skate like Chen Lu's Rachmaninoff, for instance.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This kid is such an idiot it's not even funny:

"Chan said that "anyone can do the quad," insisting the jump gets too much attention and distracts from the true artistry of the sport."

And who are you? Nice comment. Let's see your quad....

bekalc

Record Breaker
Apparently, Patrick's 3A had become really quite consistent and he had been training a quad with some success before his injury

It may be consistent in practice but its certainly not consistent in competition-seeing as he's landed one clean 3axel in international competition this year.

And I'm sorry for him to say anyone can land the quad, when he's never landed the quad in international competiition is hubris. Just about every guy has managed to get credit for level four spins at one point...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Wait...anyone can do the quad?

Oh Patrick Chan. I like your skating, but seriously... I cringe every single time you open your mouth.

I'm beginning to feel that way too. Has he even admitted yet that he was overmarked and that Johnny Weir was undermarked? He also didn't need to trash Johnny's decision to put flowers on his head in the kiss and cry.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
It may be consistent in practice but its certainly not consistent in competition-seeing as he's landed one clean 3axel in international competition this year.

That's a bit disingenuous, considering he was only in two international competitions this season. And even then, he's actually landed two clean 3axels. And two more if you count Canadian nationals, and I don't know why you won't, except to make Chan look worse.