Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan, Stojko & other Canadians discuss the men's event

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sure they did. How many landed quads? Hmm? And since everyone can do it I wonder where his is?

Okay so quads:
Verner - 19th place
Schultheiss - 15th place
Kozuka - 8th place

And though they didn't land it
Pfeifer - 21st place
Fernandez - 14th place
Amodio - 13th place
All have one in their arsenals. Doesn't this prove the point that having a quad doesn't make you a podium threat if these skaters no one really knows or hears about can do them?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Okay so quads:
Verner - 19th place
Schultheiss - 15th place
Kozuka - 8th place

And though they didn't land it
Pfeifer - 21st place
Fernandez - 14th place
Amodio - 13th place
All have one in their arsenals. Doesn't this prove the point that having a quad doesn't make you a podium threat if these skaters no one really knows or hears about can do them?

Now, now, let's not divert the argument into something that is not the issue here.

Everyone can do quads.

We have 3 there plus Plushenko plus Lambiel (his was barely done but still) and the attempts were those 3 plus Dai plus Joubert. So 5 landed and 5 missed. Out of the 24 finalists, the best skaters in the world (and it really says so much about you when you say that no one really knows about them) we have 10 attempts in the finals with a fifty percent rate of success. This is pathetic. A jump that's been around for 10 years pretty much and 5 out of the best 24 do it? Everyone can do quads ... right.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
So your argument is that Patrick Chan said something that is clearly hyperbole, but isn't literally true, so therefore he's wrong and an awful person? Oh, it is? Well, ok. ::backs away slowly:: ::runs::

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Now, now, let's not divert the argument into something that is not the issue here.

Everyone can do quads.

We have 3 there plus Plushenko plus Lambiel (his was barely done but still) and the attempts were those 3 plus Dai plus Joubert. So 5 landed and 5 missed. Out of the 24 finalists, the best skaters in the world (and it really says so much about you when you say that no one really knows about them) we have 10 attempts in the finals with a fifty percent rate of success. This is pathetic. A jump that's been around for 10 years pretty much and 5 out of the best 24 do it? Everyone can do quads ... right.

The point I was trying to make was that of the 10 who attempted and 5 who landed the quad, the "level"/quality of the men was varied. Some were at the top of the pack, some in the middle, and some toward the bottom. Granted, being at the "bottom" of a pack of the 24 best skaters in the world at the Olympics is still pretty darn good (especially if you're name is Tomas Verner and you're capable of being much better than he was yesterday), but essentially, everyone knows who Evan Lysacek is and the same can not be said for Adrian Schultheiss, even though he has a quad.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The point I was trying to make was that of the 10 who attempted and 5 who landed the quad, the "level"/quality of the men was varied. Some were at the top of the pack, some in the middle, and some toward the bottom. Granted, being at the "bottom" of a pack of the 24 best skaters in the world at the Olympics is still pretty darn good (especially if you're name is Tomas Verner and you're capable of being much better than he was yesterday), but essentially, everyone knows who Evan Lysacek is and the same can not be said for Adrian Schultheiss, even though he has a quad.

Oh for gosh sakes there are clips of Sasha landing quads in practice.
Chan meant if you just want to skate down the ice and do nothing but concentrate on jumping and rotating 4 times many skaters can do it. Girls can do it. Silverlake can probably do it - although I can't.

The problem is to be able to do it when it counts and to make it fit with the music. Plushy can do it consistently but all he does is skate a few cirlces around the rink preparing for it with no regard for the music.

He might as well line up barrels and jump over them for as artistic as it looks. Then there are the terrible facial contortions that seem to be part of the quad deal. :laugh:

I don;tmind them and I don't particularly like them either.

Last edited:

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan only needs two 2As and 'transitions' to the next OGM if the current trend in 'MEN''s skating continues. The most overmarked so-called 'talent' in skating history. This guy can not even land a clean 3A!!! for God's sake.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan attempted three 3As in his Olympic programs. He landed just one cleanly. He stepped out of the 3A in the SP and fell on the second 3A in his FS.

The next thing you know, he will stop doing 3A (like Lambiel) and say there's no need for 3A because everyone can do one. Difference between Chan and Lambiel, though, is that Lambiel landed two quads in his FS and Lambiel is a fantastic performer. Chan is a technician, but he doesn't have the ability to sell the program the way Lambiel does.

amateur

Final Flight
Utterly ridiculous... there are some sad, bitter people on here. To these trolls: What were you doing at 19? And did that year demonstrate the peak of your maturity?? :disapp:

BigJohn

On the Ice
This kid is such an idiot it's not even funny:

"Chan said that "anyone can do the quad," insisting the jump gets too much attention and distracts from the true artistry of the sport."

1- He's right

2- You are a bitter glory hunting douche.

Last edited:

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Utterly ridiculous... there are some sad, bitter people on here. To these trolls: What were you doing at 19? And did that year demonstrate the peak of your maturity?? :disapp:

Patrick Chan is no longer a baby although I know many still believe he is based on mother's instinct. For most female skaters, 19 yrs old almost means the end of their careers. Was Kwan spouting out these stupid and childish comments in her 19?

No wonder Chan will never be able to land a clean 3A consistently. He is just a brat.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Patrick Chan is no longer a baby although I know many still believe he is based on mother's instinct. For most female skaters, 19 yrs old almost means the end of their careers. Was Kwan spouting out these stupid and childish comments in her 19?

No wonder Chan will never be able to land a clean 3A consistently. He is just a brat.

Wow. A credible fortune teller.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

:scowl: a little harsh no? what did he do/say that was so bratty? he just seems honest

luv2sk8te

Spectator
I like that Chan speaks his mind. It's rare to find such honesty these days. I don't think he said anything bratty or offensive, I think he just spoke honestly about his feelings and I commend him for that. And let's not forget that he's only 19...I think that he is very mature for his age...more than I can say for some people.

UM84

On the Ice
So Chan can't say these things, but Plushenko has to right to bash another skater...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So Chan can't say these things, but Plushenko has to right to bash another skater...

The things Chan has said cannot even compare to all the moaning and complaining Plushenko has done. Apparently he tried to stand in Evan's spot on the podium because he thought he deserved to win? Glad the former Olympic gold medalist is so mature...

UM84

On the Ice
The things Chan has said cannot even compare to all the moaning and complaining Plushenko has done. Apparently he tried to stand in Evan's spot on the podium because he thought he deserved to win? Glad the former Olympic gold medalist is so mature...

Instead of just climbing onto the silver podium, he ran across all three so he could step on the gold medalist podium. And this is the guy people are crying over, if I had my way he shouldn't of got any medal. Such a bad representation of the sport and the Russia Federation!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Just because one skater does it doesn't mean another skater should. Although, in this case, I fully support the right of skaters to say whatever they want. I'll disagree with some of it, but I care more about what people do than what they say.

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Instead of just climbing onto the silver podium, he ran across all three so he could step on the gold medalist podium. And this is the guy people are crying over, if I had my way he shouldn't of got any medal. Such a bad representation of the sport and the Russia Federation!

Because he is the true olympic champion. Evan who?