Wall Street Journal deems ice dancing siblings icky | Golden Skate

Wall Street Journal deems ice dancing siblings icky

DesertRoad

Final Flight
From that cesspool of journalistic perfidy, an article on how gross and awful it is that some ice dancing couples are siblings and have to perform romantic routines:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703315004575073322907511564.html

The Kerrs and other skaters get interviewed, and have their quotes taken out of context or outright fabricated, as per the Murdoch tradition. From reading the article, the uninitiated may wonder why skating rinks aren't crawling with mutated babies. Second-rate sensationalism that the WSJ's own sibling, The Sun, would scoff at.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How silly. Dancing a tango is not making out. There are many professional ballroom couples that are brother and sister. 90% of ice dancers have to tango with their old coach or their partner who is like a sibling or a old friend.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
And under the pressures and rigors of preparing for competition and then the actual competition, I doubt even couples who are romantically involved find dancing the patterns particularly sexy, what with so many other things to focus on.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I clicked on the link and I admit, the picture made me feel a little uncomfortable because they're siblings. I haven't read the article yet, but I don't really have an opinion on this matter.

By the way DesertRose, I love your status. :)
Go marry the quad if you love it so much
It's so kindergarten-like, and I love it!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I clicked on the link and I admit, the picture made me feel a little uncomfortable because they're siblings. I haven't read the article yet, but I don't really have an opinion on this matter.

By the way DesertRose, I love your status. :) It's so kindergarten-like, and I love it!

:biggrin: I'm young at heart.. and some other parts.

The Kerrs are selling it pretty damn well in that pic. But I guess that's what they have to do to get ahead in the compulsories. And I admit, it does look pretty hot, enough to make me forget they're siblings.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
:biggrin: I'm young at heart.. and some other parts.

The Kerrs are selling it pretty damn well in that pic. But I guess that's what they have to do to get ahead in the compulsories. And I admit, it does look pretty hot, enough to make me forget they're siblings.

YAY! and ... I don't think I want to know.

They do sell it well, but "OMGTHEY'RESIBLINGSWOWIDON'TKNOWWHATTOSAY" was running through my mind the entire time.

But eh. I'm not particularly interested in Ice dancing anyway ... but Davis/White (I think) 's Indian-inspired program was delightful.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
From what I've read on imprinting, kids who grew up together, like Davis/White, tend to relate to each other as siblings and naturally shy away from romantic attachments. And indeed, that's how Davis/White always struck me, like a pair of siblings. I wonder why it is that Kerrs pull off the romantic couple thing better. Maybe they're just older and/or better actors?

Simoncat

Rinkside
Well,a friend who was looking for a dance partner for her child consulted a well=known judge. The answer was that to get a partner she should give birth to one.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Well,a friend who was looking for a dance partner for her child consulted a well=known judge. The answer was that to get a partner she should give birth to one.

:laugh: Maybe there should be some partner exchanging breeding program, whereby skateparents can exchange male offspring to partner with their female offspring.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
That Kerrs picture does look a bit incestuous, but it's obviously used to be shocking. I mean, it's not like they stand like that for 5 minutes in the CD. They're only like that, in that position, for like one second, if that.