Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Evan's Win and Russia's Fury Hurt the Other Events?

Smuusik

Rinkside
I agree Plushy is probably a good guy.
But his own actions have brought some of the bad feelings and if he continues to whine like a spoiled brat the bad feeling against him will continue.

Evan must feel like he beat a 12 year old the way Plushy is talking. Maybe because the Russians are having their worst Olympics ever there was big pressure on Plushy to win the Gold. Maybe that is why he can't accept that under CoP Evan outskated him.
I even wonder if Mishin and the choreo guy get it or even understand CoP very well?

Four years from now is a long time away. For now Evan is GP champion, World champion and Olympic Champion. Has anyone ever held all three title at the same time before?

This is the era of King Evan and the class he has shown since becoming King of The Ice will be good for skating.

First of all, "continues to whine?" Have a look at the media coverage. Plushenko hasn't "continued" anything! There are hundreds of articles with identical content referring and provoking one and only thing: Plushenko (THE russian) is a no-talent, no-good, idiot. Not to mention the continuos references to europeans in general. People who don't know a thing about skating or who don't really even care about skating simply spit out what comes to mind. Have you seen the youtube interview comments... A whole new level for a period of less than two days, I'd say.

As for Evan.
What did he do? What is the great thing King Evan has brought to skating? A knowledge that he knows how to play by the rules? Certainly. Something special or worthy of remembering? No. Making no comparisons to anybody else: to but it softly, his skating was simply plain.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
First of all, "continues to whine?" Have a look at the media coverage. Plushenko hasn't "continued" anything! There are hundreds of articles with identical content referring and provoking one and only thing: Plushenko (THE russian) is a no-talent, no-good, idiot. Not to mention the continuos references to europeans in general. People who don't know a thing about skating or who don't really even care about skating simply spit out what comes to mind. Have you seen the youtube interview comments... A whole new level for a period of less than two days, I'd say.

As for Evan.
What did he do? What was the great thing King Evan has brought to skating? A knowledge that he knows how to play by the rules? Certainly. Something special or worth to remember? No. Making no comparisons to anybody else: to but it softly, his skating was simply plain.

King Evan scored the most points. He did his best under tremendous pressure. That is something Americans identify strongly with.
He may not be memorable to you and many others but we are proud of his stunning accomplishment.

We are even prouder than you will ever understand because we know there are more talented skaters out there.
But when I want beauty on the ice I watch the women. Most Americans feel the same way. We don't want a fancy pants champion and are perfectly fine with a blue collar champion. We know he worked and trained as hard as possible and was able to perform his best when it counted most.

You are free as are the others to prefer other skaters. Jeremy is actually my favorite along with Dai and Lambiel.
But Evan has something the others all wanted very badly. It is so obvious that Evan wanted it more than the others and I find it quite miraculous that he won it fair and square.

I remember once BOP made up a list of the top guys and how they would finish it they all skated their best. I think Evan was 12th and really just thrown in as an afterthought coz he was the WC.

I prefer this criteria: who will be able to skate their best under the big pressure of the Olympics?
That would be Evan, Plushy, Dai and let's throw in Johnny.
That is the list that matters to me. I respect the best competitors in any sport first and foremost.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
He may not be memorable to you and many others but we are proud of his stunning accomplishment.

We are even prouder than you will ever understand because we know there are more talented skaters out there.
But when I want beauty on the ice I watch the women. Most American feels the same way. We don't want a fancy pants champion and are perfectly fine with a blue collar champion.

Finally someone explained.

Bottom line, Plushenko lost because on this occasion he did not skate well.

Lysacek may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he gave it his all when it counted most.

That's sports. If you want the gold medal you have to skate for it.

Alatariel

On the Ice
It is about winning, let me borrow a quote from Belbin and Agosto "If we didn't think we could win the gold, we wouldn't be here". It might not be for skaters who know they have no chance, but for the top skaters winning a gold/championship is everything.

And you still don't get it. Well no surprise really.

King Evan scored the most points. He did his best under tremendous pressure. That is something Americans identify strongly with.

Of course you're proud. You worked very hard to get him there. But this is not something the rest of us are not aware of. We just tend to react negatively to your 'hard work'.

Don't be surprised when quite a few people spit on that work though.

And I think even a child can tell great talent and Evan Lysacek do not go in the same sentence.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Lysacek may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he gave it his all when it counted most.

Thank you. If it was so easy why do think Brian Joubert finished 16th? You think he just woke up on Tuesday and said, I'm gonna bomb this competition for the hell of it? No, it's hard and nerve-wracking and for most people, this affects their skating. Oda had a panic attack before his SP, Jeremy was a basket case, Tomas imploded....none of these things happened on purpose, they just happened because it's the Olympics and there's pressure and you get nervous and things run through your head. Evan probably had the most pressure of anyone and he was able to deal with it and skate two clean programs, winning and deserving to win the title. Plushenko's jumps likely looked so scary because he was nervous or giving into pressure....yes, he save the jumps, but just barely and didn't give the performance his all so Evan won, fair and square. Evan has gotten a lot farther in his career as a good competitor without the quad than many headcases with the quad.

And I think even a child can tell great talent and Evan Lysacek do not go in the same sentence.

I think you are making too much of a sports contest. You don't have to have great talent, just be better than the other guy on that day.

Then you go on with your life.

janetfan

Match Penalty
And you still don't get it. Well no surprise really.

Of course you're proud. You worked very hard to get him there. But this is not something the rest of us are not aware of. We just tend to react negatively to your 'hard work'.

Don't be surprised when quite a few people spit on that work though.

Ha, ha.
If bitterness is your thing why not go suck a lemon and then look at yourself in the mirror. Your expression would be the same as your posts here.

BTW, congrats to Plushy for winning another Olympic medal. He is surely the skater of the decade and a skater for the ages.
I hope he will consider continuing and if he remains healthy I am sure he will win more titles.

JuliusFelix

Rinkside

I absolutely agree. After the men's FS my parents were going gaga over Lysacek (which I enjoyed; I'm a fan). But after they had trundled off to bed and my brother and I were sitting discussing what happened, he looked at me quietly and then, shaking his head, said, "I like Plushenko so much more. He's got that thing."

Evan deserved that gold; he was the best that night, and that's the way skating works: you have to put it down at the right moment. But I think it is telling that Evan had two skates of his life, and Evgeni had two so-so sub par skates. And it came down to a point and a half. Evan won, but Plushenko - without winning - proved he was the better skater.

Since I'm fans of both of them (something, it seems, that is rare here or anywhere...) I was quite happy with that. However it means I can't read any articles about the men's skating, which I usually love, because the author usually bashes one or the other. Say nothing of turning on the TV here in America, I've had quite enough of "the villain Russian" and terribly hope it doesn't come up in dance. Sigh.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
The Russians seem to think they're entitled to golds. Remember 2002?

And as for "King Evan," say what you want, but he is a VERY gracious winner.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Ha, ha.
If bitterness is your thing why not go suck a lemon and then look at yourself in the mirror. Your expression would be the same as your posts here.

BTW, congrats to Plushy for winning another Olympic medal. He is surely the skater of the decade and a skater for the ages.
I hope he will consider continuing and if he remains healthy I am sure he will win more titles.

Actually I am having a great time. The more this sort of bs happens the more fun I have. I think we deserve every single thing similar to this one that happens, I hope there will be more and soon too. The worse the better. People who eat ... should be made to eat as much of it as possible, at the greatest rate possible. Then maybe one day they might wake up and wonder why they are eating it.

And patronising doesn't suit you at all. But it does seem to be a common trait among many Americans so I guess you just can't help it.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Returning to Topic

Looking at the compulsory scores, we can give the judges credit: if they wanted to push D&S firmly up above the field, they could have done so. I know many think V&M should have won the CD last night, but remember D&S are good CD technicians, and I, for one, am willing to believe they won fair and square-if they are judged fairly through the rest of the competition. Whether that will happen remains to be seen.

nghtvsn

Rinkside
Actually I am having a great time. The more this sort of bs happens the more fun I have. I think we deserve every single thing similar to this one that happens, I hope there will be more and soon too. The worse the better. People who eat ... should be made to eat as much of it as possible, at the greatest rate possible. Then maybe one day they might wake up and wonder why they are eating it.

And patronising doesn't suit you at all. But it does seem to be a common trait among many Americans so I guess you just can't help it.

Please stop embarassing yourself. Maybe you can't see it but everyone else reading your comments is just *sighing* everytime you type a retort.

Give it up and move on. It's really sad...

Alatariel

On the Ice
Please stop embarassing yourself. Maybe you can't see it but everyone else reading your comments is just *sighing* everytime you type a retort.

Give it up and move on. It's really sad...

I intend to continue posting what I think until someone throws me out of the forum or until I decide it is time to stop.

You though have a very easy option - my profile, ignore list and voila! No need to sigh every time you read something by me and waste your precious time. See, I'm nice. I'm even telling you how to not expose your enlightened self to my embarrassing posts.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The Russians seem to think they're entitled to golds. Remember 2002?

And as for "King Evan," say what you want, but he is a VERY gracious winner.

Yes, skating has a great role model in Evan and his sensational victory will inspire skaters all over the world to practice and train harder.

I said if Plushy won the OGM I would dye my hair blonde and wear it mullet style for one week.
So it is easy to see I am not just proud of King Evan but also greatly relieved that I won't be seen in such a silly, outdated haircut.

But.......the world is not a perfect place. I also told the skating Gods that if Evan won I would go to a tanning salon and wear my dark hair slicked back for a week.

Thank God for hats and sun glasses :laugh:

fairly4

Medalist
might -why check out jspin and spiral evgeny came in 6th with a 18.94 --stephane was 1st 22.60, patrick 2nd 22.10 evan 3rd 21.10, daisuke 4th 19.90, jermey 5th 19.50; evgeny 6th 18.94, noburna 7th 18.30
especiall with email by joe iman to look out for evgeny transititions with canada judges and italy judges; and also noticing spins were lacking --evgeny won jumps with a 63.77 and evan 2nd 63.47-johnny 3rd with a61.
it depends, how close knit figure skating community is , close ranks and how certain judges and callers are affliltated with each other through skating clubs, former olympic medalist skaters etc. politics,

krenseby

Final Flight
Julius, great post. It's very true that if you consider Plushenko's performance as subpar for him, then had he had a better day, his LP could have been absolutely amazing.

gfskater

On the Ice
It is really Evgeni's coach’s fault for not building a program that he could win with. He had a handicap right from the start.

People can say Evan won because he "worked the system" but that is what it takes. Evgeni's coaches know the system. It has been in place for what 7 years?

The system gives you more points for doing jumps in the second half of the program because it is harder to do them there. I think that makes sense. If working the system means doing a 8 jumps after the halfway mark, go for it. The system allows you to do a three jump combo and Evan did one. Good for Frank Carol and Lori Nichol for setting Evan up to win. Good for Evan for practicing his program back to back for a year so he could do it under pressure.

This is what sports are about. Start with some talent and a good plan, practice it over and over and over until it becomes habit, and finally perform it well with millions of eyes on you. That was great to see. Evan looked confident, smooth, and his execution had great flow. He had awesome extension on the landings, during his footwork his turns and edgework was great and his kicks were higher than his shoulder. His 6'2" lines were elegant and controlled.

Evan was a very kind and respectful when asked what he thought of Evgeni and his coach's comments. He spoke highly of Evgeni. Evan is a true athlete and a good sportsman.

By the way I am not an Evan worshiper, I was routing for Takahashi during the event. Shame he fell apart in the long he is a grat skater.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

But when I want beauty on the ice I watch the women. Most Americans feel the same way. We don't want a fancy pants champion and are perfectly fine with a blue collar champion. We know he worked and trained as hard as possible and was able to perform his best when it counted most.

You are free as are the others to prefer other skaters. Jeremy is actually my favorite along with Dai and Lambiel.
But Evan has something the others all wanted very badly. It is so obvious that Evan wanted it more than the others and I find it quite miraculous that he won it fair and square.

Exactly.
:love::thumbsup:

gfskater

On the Ice
Oh yes and by the way, ^^^^, stop trying to make Plushenko into some sort of monster. Dear lord, you are all insane. Enemies - he means opponents - his English sucks which is painfully obvious. Yes, yes, the big ebil Russian ... we know, we know....

OK, maybe I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. When he said "My enemies, I have many enemies" he meant "My competitors, I have many competitors"

I really believe that if you have a problem with the scoring you should take it up properly with the judge’s panel and not make “This is outrageous” comments to the press.