Why all the hate? | Golden Skate

Why all the hate?

UM84

On the Ice
I thought the Olympics was supposed to be about the world coming togther, but for some reason this board has turned into a very hateful place.:disapp:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought the Olympics was supposed to be about the world coming togther, but for some reason this board has turned into a very hateful place.:disapp:

I'm watching Olympic coverage on American television, which gives me a very valid excuse for expressing my hate. If I could choose a commentating team that wasn't so biased and actually respected and appreciated all the world's athletes equally maybe I wouldn't be suffering from male PMS, mkay.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Heh.

Passion. We're passionate enough to debate endlessly with people we don't know around the world about a sport we love. Things get heated.

Nadine

Record Breaker
You're right, and the odd thing is it actually happens in real life as well, not just limited to the boards. The cold war was on big time at the arena last night.

It's not about patriotism either. You can still love those from your country, but enjoy others. Yet, I didn't see that at the arena. All around me except for a few there was this big time hate against Evgeni. Now I see why people say that skating in one's home country or continent can help. I now believe that, which I never did before. It took attending the Olympics live to make me realize that there is validity behind that argument. As well as the home country/continent push.

Sports makes one's real self come out, prejudice & hate being a part of that...

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Good god, if you think what's going on in these boards is hateful, try talking to some footie fans, or worse yet, attending one of them fútbol games. Or observe Korean speed skating fans. I think it was in 2002 or 2006, when Apolo Anton Ohno won over a Korean skater on a foul call, Korean fans responded by launching a denial of service attack on various American and Olympic websites. And that's just the beginning of their hateful festivities, you can read about the rest here:

http://wintergames.ap.org/story.aspx?st=id&id=eee07d23de3243b5bca26a598ba59589

The good-natured bickering and hilarious snarking on these boards is harmless fun.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ Well, you do realize we haven't reached the ladies' event yet when the crap is really expected to hit the fan with the Yu-Na vs. Mao fan/bot wars. I'll probably have to stay away from the boards next week (we probably won't even be able to log into the forum due to the likely crash that will occur).

Last edited by a moderator:

bladesoflori

Rinkside
You're right, and the odd thing is it actually happens in real life as well, not just limited to the boards. The cold war was on big time at the arena last night.

It's not about patriotism either. You can still love those from your country, but enjoy others. Yet, I didn't see that at the arena. All around me except for a few there was this big time hate against Evgeni. Now I see why people say that skating in one's home country or continent can help. I now believe that, which I never did before. It took attending the Olympics live to make me realize that there is validity behind that argument. As well as the home country/continent push.

Sports makes one's real self come out, prejudice & hate being a part of that...

My feelings have nothing at all to do with Plushy's nationality. As a matter of fact, I remember rooting for him years ago when he was a young up-and-comer always having to play second fiddle to Yagudin. I always tend to root for the underdog. But his comments have left me really disliking him as a competitor and sportsman. Others have gotten on my bad side for similar actions as well. Anyone who cries foul after the fact bothers me. It is a judged sport. Accept it, or do something else is my feeling. I love some skaters from every country and even the ones that don't suit my style, I can respect- as long as they give a little respect to others. I take some offense to being considered prejudiced because I think someone's behavior is disrespectful. Can you really not understand why he has upset so many people? Anyway, that's just my feelings. I have not once dissed his skating or ability, only his words and actions after the skate was over.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
That definitely is ripe for rioting and lulz. Is it wrong that I look forward to it? Yes, it is, but I don't want to be right!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:eek:Oh, the wimmin, the wimmin...help us , someone.

I've been dreading / dying for the dance , which I expect to be bad..but, the WIMMIN!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's also very telling to me how hardly no one on this forum reacted negatively to Evan being bratty in all his comments about losing the US title to Jeremy Abbott (in fact the majority of people here brushed his comments off as nothing), yet so many here are jumping on Evgeni Plushenko for expressing his honest opinions about the COP system and Evan's skating. Double standard, much?

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
Good god, if you think what's going on in these boards is hateful, try talking to some footie fans, or worse yet, attending one of them fútbol games. Or observe Korean speed skating fans. I think it was in 2002 or 2006, when Apolo Anton Ohno won over a Korean skater on a foul call, Korean fans responded by launching a denial of service attack on various American and Olympic websites. And that's just the beginning of their hateful festivities, you can read about the rest here:

http://wintergames.ap.org/story.aspx?st=id&id=eee07d23de3243b5bca26a598ba59589

The good-natured bickering and hilarious snarking on these boards is harmless fun.

ITA This is the first time, I've been doing the board watching the Olympics and it's added a lot more fun. I have no one around me into figure skating as I am, and it's so wonderful to be talking to people with so much knowledge and passion about skating.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
^^ Well, you do realize we haven't reached the ladies' event yet when the sh!t is really expected to hit the fan with the Yu-Na vs. Mao fan/bot wars. I'll probably have to stay away from the boards next week (we probably won't even be able to log into the forum due to the likely crash that will occur).

I was planning to do that if either:

1. Yuna or Mao wins
2. Another situation like the men's event arises and it involves (most likely) either Yuna, Mao, Miki, or another skater.

If that happens, the next time I'll chat with you guys is when Worlds comes around!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
ITA This is the first time, I've been doing the board watching the Olympics and it's added a lot more fun. I have no one around me into figure skating as I am, and it's so wonderful to be talking to people with so much knowledge and passion about skating.

Oh mah gawd, I'm in the same boat. Of course, it doesn't stop me from talking about figure skating to my friends and acquaintances who know nothing about it. To the point where they're getting very sick of it and threatening to beat me to death and worse. But I do not care. It's the Winter Olympics! It's the one time every four years when figure skating takes center stage in the world. Suck it up, non-skate fans! Cower in terror in our sparkly shadow!

Nadine

Record Breaker
^^ Well, you do realize we haven't reached the ladies' event yet when the sh!t is really expected to hit the fan with the Yu-Na vs. Mao fan/bot wars. I'll probably have to stay away from the boards next week (we probably won't even be able to log into the forum due to the likely crash that will occur).

Lol, yeah, you're right. I actually think the Yuna fan & Maobot wars are similar to the Tara & Michelle wars. Total turn off. That was the most sickest/evilest/depressing thing ever. My gosh, all that over a effing competition. I'll never forget the craziness I read on the boards over the years. Grown women doing these things was just pure evil, I recall one tiime they even set up a fake board pretending to be Tara fans bashing Michelle. Holy cow, I'm actually grateful that the mens competition never got to such a low, and I hope it never does.

Yeah, this will all blow over soon, thank goodness. Just back to the normal level of bitchiness, lol.

Oops, I'm talking about the men; yep, the women will probably turn into something hugely ugly like the Tara/Michelle wars. But since nobody quite moves me like Evgeni, I'll be gone after the Olympics, unless Evgeni comes back for Worlds, then I'll hang around, but once that's over I'll come back when he comes back again. :)

ademption

Rinkside
I'm watching Olympic coverage on American television, which gives me a very valid excuse for expressing my hate. If I could choose a commentating team that wasn't so biased and actually respected and appreciated all the world's athletes equally maybe I wouldn't be suffering from male PMS, mkay.

Ditto everything you said, but I'm a girl. NBC commentators except for Tracy Wilson IMO are so biased towards some skaters that it makes it very easy to hate certain skaters b/c of that bias. Whoever Scotty and Sandra promote overwhelmingly, I begin to dislike. I probably wouldn't be so harsh on some skaters and defend others (that I don't even like) if it weren't for those 2. Those 2 along with Tom Hammond have ruined my Olympic experiences ever since 2002 when NBC got the games. I liked ABC and CBS coverage of figure skating so much better....

mishieru07

On the Ice
It's Figure Skating and come Olympics and Worlds, emotions tend to run high when we start pulling for our favourites to win. This is a subjective sport so it's not surprising to see two completely opposing camps (God knows how many times I've read hateful comments about my favourites). Hell hath no fury like a figure skating uber on a warpath.

I'm afraid of what's going to happen on youtube after the Ladies competition too. An explosion of hate-vids I imagine. The boards should be okay with mods around. Unless you happen to go into a Yu Na/ Mao forum.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yeah, It was pretty gross. They had small screencaps of the letter but already that was too much for me. *cringes*

That reminds me. I'm not going to search for YouTube figure skating videos for at least half a year either.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmm, I think you're right also, with the advent of youtube these wars have even exceeded what we saw with the Tara/Michelle wars. :eek:

I'm actually hoping Yuna wins to save us all from the hate I've read about when Apolo Anton Ohno won vs. the Korean. It continues on to this day. In fact just today I read this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/short_track_speed_skating/news?slug=ap-sho-hatingohno&prov=ap&type=lgns

To spite everybody, I wouldn't be surprised if God has chosen Joannie Rochette to win, which I wouldn't mind at all. *smile*

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Pfft, anybody can have an internet flamewar. Freaking nerds using different Linux distros have worse flamewars than this. Until we have skating hooligans upending cars and burning them, I'm going to have to rate this with a great big yawn.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Heh.

Passion. We're passionate enough to debate endlessly with people we don't know around the world about a sport we love. Things get heated.

I couldn't agree more. Most of it isn't hate - we just passionately have a ptoblem with someone's skating, the results etc.