The "Future" of Figure Skating - 2014 Podium Threats (Men's) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The "Future" of Figure Skating - 2014 Podium Threats (Men's)

Germanice

On the Ice
Wow ... does that mean Men's figure skating actually has a future after that disastrous Olympic result? :p

Smuusik

Rinkside
Disregarding all the bs that has come from these Olympics (I do not only mean FS here; a death of an athlete, Petra Majdic breaking her ribs while plunging down the hill to a gully due to absolutely no safety borders beside the road etc) I truly hope to see some of the athletes succeed in Sochi and for the Sochi games to be better arranged. Although I wouldn't bet on it. Russia does have it's disturbing tendencies when it comes to construction - not a rule but there are some bad experiences from the past.

There are so many new and promising names really.
Brezina is an athlete of amazing technique. As for his jumps... wow;) The height is amazing and the cleanness of his 3A is mind-boggling. Yes, I am a fan of his, I've got to admit. His skating doesn't lack passion but he has to and definitely will work on the choreographic aspect. As well as footwork. What a great guy.:biggrin:

Ten. Well Ten is something of a sort of young miracle if everything goes well for him. Considering his age I'd say he has all the possibilities of becoming at least two time olympic medalist if not more. I don't know how the consistency part will work out for him but time will tell obviously. Flexibility is of course great and all but there are many many details he needs to work on.

Amodio is a born artist. His performance impressed me the most these games. I'm watching his skate again and again and what amazes me is that not only is his performance great but he is capable of jumping a quad for example. He knows how to work the crowd and enjoys it. Big hopes on this frenchman. :)

Borodulin left a positive impression. After getting used to a relatively weak field of russian future figure skating he did appear as a small beacon of hope.

In conclusion what I really really don't want to happen is for these young and promising athletes to take up ´the "neat and clean choreographically superb but technically average road." They are all capable of much more and it would only benefit figure skating as a sport if the new generation would continue to improve the side of skating that cannot be judged subjectively.

I hope they will prove themselves to be remarkable athletes for they sure as hell seem to have what it takes.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Florent Amodio
Denis Ten
Patrick Chan
Jeremy Abbott
Adam Rippon
Michal Brezina
Artem Borudulin
Kozuka

These are people that we'll have to count on, but other people could emmerge too. It also depends on who's going to retire. I'd love it if Tomas were to stay and have more regular performnaces.

Trewyn

Medalist
It's waaay too early to start having 'dream podiums' for 2014, but these are my favorite youngsters based on the past season:
1. Takahiko Kozuka (his teddybear-factor does me in every time)
2. Adam Rippon (cuteness factor, divine curls, overall skating quality)
3. Nobunari Oda (less a 'youngster' than the above three I think? but still; divine skating skills)
4. Patrick Chan (lose the attitude, keep the edges and general flow)

About US Men; I'm not sure whether Mroz, Abbott and Carriere are going to stick around until 2014? Carrierre probably; Mroz and Abbott? Not sure? Abbott might retire in case he wins a World title somewhere along the line? Not sure...

Others: Denis Ten needs to smile. Michal Brezina needs to lose the attitude but keep those gorgeous jumps, Artem needs a little more personality but looks very promising.

oxade21

Match Penalty
No future, it's only downhill from here. Thanks you Inman, Speedy and North American consumerism.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Take heart, oxade21, the COP is still relatively new, and generally after each Olympics it gets tweaked (even 6.0 was tweaked after each Olympics).

And with the controversy over the quad in the mens competition (like the controversy over the Olympic Champion's win in 2002), the system was changed thereafter. I'm pretty sure the same will apply here. *smile*

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
The Japanese mens field is deep, and any of these 5 men could podium depending on who they send... Takahashi (if he sticks around for a 3rd Olympics), Oda (hopefully will stick around as well), definitely Kozuka... but also Machida (4th Japanese Nationals, 2nd 4CC and also only 19), and Hanyu (1st JGPF, 6th Japanese Nats and also only 15). For Japan, I see Takahashi retiring and the Sochi team beind Oda, Kozuka, and Hanyu.
For the US... Abbott, if he hangs in there, Rippon, Mroz (although I don't think he has a shot at the podium), and possibly Brown (2010 Junior Champion. but not for the podium)
Canada... Chan will definitely be clawing his way up the podium steps, and Reynolds will be in his shadow and not podium worthy
Others.... Ten (Khazakstan), Brezina (Czech), Amodio (France), Fernandez (Spain)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Florent Amodio
Denis Ten
Patrick Chan
Jeremy Abbott
Adam Rippon
Michal Brezina
Artem Borudulin
Kozuka

These are people that we'll have to count on, but other people could emmerge too. It also depends on who's going to retire. I'd love it if Tomas were to stay and have more regular performnaces.

Sounds good :agree: but I'd add Javier to the list, he has the best energy!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Disregarding all the bs that has come from these Olympics (I do not only mean FS here; a death of an athlete, Petra Majdic breaking her ribs while plunging down the hill to a gully due to absolutely no safety borders beside the road etc) I truly hope to see some of the athletes succeed in Sochi and for the Sochi games to be better arranged. Although I wouldn't bet on it. Russia does have it's disturbing tendencies when it comes to construction - not a rule but there are some bad experiences from the past.

There are so many new and promising names really.
Brezina is an athlete of amazing technique. As for his jumps... wow;) The height is amazing and the cleanness of his 3A is mind-boggling. Yes, I am a fan of his, I've got to admit. His skating doesn't lack passion but he has to and definitely will work on the choreographic aspect. As well as footwork. What a great guy.:biggrin:

Ten. Well Ten is something of a sort of young miracle if everything goes well for him. Considering his age I'd say he has all the possibilities of becoming at least two time olympic medalist if not more. I don't know how the consistency part will work out for him but time will tell obviously. Flexibility is of course great and all but there are many many details he needs to work on.

Amodio is a born artist. His performance impressed me the most these games. I'm watching his skate again and again and what amazes me is that not only is his performance great but he is capable of jumping a quad for example. He knows how to work the crowd and enjoys it. Big hopes on this frenchman. :)

Borodulin left a positive impression. After getting used to a relatively weak field of russian future figure skating he did appear as a small beacon of hope.

In conclusion what I really really don't want to happen is for these young and promising athletes to take up ´the "neat and clean choreographically superb but technically average road." They are all capable of much more and it would only benefit figure skating as a sport if the new generation would continue to improve the side of skating that cannot be judged subjectively.

I hope they will prove themselves to be remarkable athletes for they sure as hell seem to have what it takes.

Good speculations!

Actually all named skaters in this thread are interesting for 2014.
Some not mentioned are the three russian G-boys; Grigoriev, Gorshkov and Gachinski. Also Artur Jr Dimitriev. Sweden's Schultheiss will be a contender, but I think Majorov will beat him. Sweden will have at least two men qualified in 2014 :p

And who knows which guys will pop up from nowhere. Makes me already excited to think about it. Men's FS definitely has a future with quads and all :love:

yangjie

On the Ice
How old will that tiny little Japanese guy be in 2014? (Sorry, don't remember his name. I think he might be a junior by now.)

If he's not cooked yet, then I'm calling it for Chan, Fernandez and Amodio!

That is, if Chan agrees to let his feet do the talking. Otherwise, everybody move up a notch and Oda for Bronze.

Oh wait, I forgot about Armin. If he continues he could be in the mix.

you mean Yuzuru Hanyu? he is now 15.

Wicked

Final Flight
I want to see an epic battle between Patrick, Armin, and Florent. I won't care who wins.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
you mean Yuzuru Hanyu? he is now 15.

Hanyu is TALENTED... but as for little, not quite. He is the tallest Japanese Mens skater already at 15 (5'7")! If Oda sticks around... I'd expect the 2014 Sochi team to be Oda, Kazuka and Hanyu... all capable of medaling.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hanyu is TALENTED... but as for little, not quite. He is the tallest Japanese Mens skater already at 15 (5'7")! If Oda sticks around... I'd expect the 2014 Sochi team to be Oda, Kazuka and Hanyu... all capable of medaling.

5'7" isn't exactly big for a guy, in fact, it's pretty small. He can still be called little. Chan is 5'7" and he looks very little

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope Chan wins. I can't help it, I'm Canadian and he actually is a good skater, even if he makes annoying comments. I also hope Jeremy Ten from Canada qualifies. I'm following him on Twitter and he's so cute. lol. I'm not sure about him as a podium threat, but anything could happen between now and then. I like most other people already mentioned, except Brezina. He really needs to improve on everything but his jumps.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Chan wins. I can't help it, I'm Canadian and he actually is a good skater, even if he makes annoying comments. I also hope Jeremy Ten from Canada qualifies. I'm following him on Twitter and he's so cute. lol. I'm not sure about him as a podium threat, but anything could happen between now and then. I like most other people already mentioned, except Brezina. He really needs to improve on everything but his jumps.

I agree, but sad you don't like Brezina. His spins are a little slow but beyond that he is great! Czech Buttle :agree: , he'll medal at Europeans next year and maybe even win I bet!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
5'7" isn't exactly big for a guy, in fact, it's pretty small. He can still be called little. Chan is 5'7" and he looks very little

Compared to the other skaters... if you look at the Japanese Nationals, the tallest men are 5'7" (Kozuka and Hanyu)... the rest are either smaller or the same height as Mao Asada at 5'4" o_O So, big for a Japanese male skater, considering he could still go through a growth spurt since he is only 15.