So What was with Johnny Weir | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So What was with Johnny Weir

Audrey19

On the Ice
Johnny was aweome in Vancouver, he skated like he didn't skate in a long time and was extremely underscored. In general, I like Patrick's skating better, but he didn't deserve to be above Johnny and was ridiculously overscored. Making that kind of comments about someone who was clearly better, but still finished behind him is childish and shows bad sportmanship. He should just shut up.
It's so sad that Johnny won't even be in the gala despite skating so well and artistically superior to Chan.

Bennett

Record Breaker
When Johnny was in the Kiss n' Cry waiting for his marks, he did look pretty strange!!! What was that about? A garland of roses around his head and a huge bouquet of roses. I can see why most men are reluctant to watch figure skating....

It looked just natural to me. Skaters have always gotten bouquets of flowers and they have always held them. A garland may be more special, but nothing strange about it. It became him so naturally and he looked beautiful.

Oh man. I have never said a word about Patrick's mouth before this, and he's one of my favorite skaters (although he wasn't at his best in these O's). But this gratuitous slap at Johnny? Shut up, Patrick. You're not making yourself look good at all with these unnecessary judgments on your peers.

I really doubt there are any Olympic rules that say athletes must not put on crowns of roses handed to them by fans while awaiting scores. What Johnny did was spontaneous and adorable and fitting. Especially since it's the only crown he got after that heavenly skate.

Lynn51

Rinkside
I thought Johnny was adorable and oh so sweet to wear that fan's wreath. I could just give him a big ole hug!

Raatkirani

On the Ice
ITA. I thought it was very sweet of him to wear the crown of roses that a fan had so lovingly made for him. It was made by a Japanese fan, who obviously went through a lot of trouble to be there that night and to have that crown for him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm the first one who will critisize a lot of what Johnny Weir says and does, but that crown of roses was totally Johnny and he deserved to celebrate. That Chan feels the need to comment on every little detail of every other skater while puffing himself up just shows his youthful arrogance at another level. I don't want to hear how arrogant and outspoken Americans are ever again. It's a flaw that knows no nationality.

As for the "what's with Johnny Weir" - should we expect anything less from Johnny and his angels? What's wrong with a little fun (dude wears a corset looking thing in the SP and we're really more concerned about flowers in the KnC being the reason men don't watch????)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I didn't think a second about it. I thought he was just showing appreciation to the fans by wearing it. And I thought it was pretty adorable, actually. That's Johnny Weir for you, I would expect no less.

And my goodness, Patrick Chan needs to be quiet. I think he's a beautiful skater but not so beautiful when he opens his mouth. GEEEEZ.

moscow

Rinkside
I want to add too that Johnny has the MOST supporting fans in the world. A group online evolved years ago and brings a banner to every single one of his competitions, they are called Johnny's angels. they make him birthday presents every year and are now chipping in to have a medal made for him to show him that he's still a medalist to us. Johnny has always put his performances first and wanting to change lives with his skating. Which I can safely say he has. Others seem to just want medals and titles. Johnny's fans are the most loyal, supportive and devoted fans in the world. So when he took that garland he is showing his appreciation to all of us that have stood by him from the beginning. He loves to make his fans feel like skating is an art, not just some jumping competition. Knowing that this is probably his last season I think he wanted to show us all that he didn't care about the scores, he was just happy to have skated so well after all the negativity.

Chan- you really need to grow up. nobody is going to take you seriously until you do. shut up and skate.

prettykeys

Medalist
I liked Johnny's SP and loved his LP, but thought the garland of roses on his head made me laugh hard. AND I LOVED IT because it's Johnny Weir enjoying his moment and not worrying about what others think or say. :laugh:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
To me, Johnny's skating was one of the brightest spots of the evening. It was no accident that the crowd stood up after he skated; his programme was beautiful. CoP is not about beautiy, or about heroic efforts, it is merely about points. Because of this, there is a lot of frenetic skating, and not enough truly beautiful skating in men's singles now. Johnny reminded us what beautiful skating looks like. Thank you, Johnny. As to his rose crown, I thought it infinitely gracious of him to honor his fan that way, and watching him in the K and C, I thought of the ancient Greek athletes and their laurel wreaths. It seemed wonderfully apt to me that Johnny, at that moment, should be crowned with red roses, and I am grateful to the fan that gave that crown to him. To me, that moment, with Johnny crowned in red roses, holding a red rose bouquet, was a moment of "Nike", i.e., of victory, victory of beautiful athleticism, and artistic power. The word "artistry" gets slung around a lot in the world of CoP, but its use often is not justified; Johnny displayed genuine artistry in his programme. His graciousness in the face of being underscored was also beautiful. I felt as if we were seeing the real Johnny last night, and it was very good to see.

As for Patrick, he showed such promise when he was 16, with his smooth, fluid motion on the ice. I thought then that we might some day see great things from him. I never imagined that we should see so much self-righteous judgementalism from him toward veteran skaters. Somehow, he seems to have gotten confused about what really matters. I hope that he will settle down, and think things through.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
The fact that Patrick says things that what passes for trash-talking in this genteel sport doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. In fact, a skater who shall not be named, but says all the right things in interviews and cannot appear to be more gracious and humble is the tooliest of tools in his/her treatment of people. If what people says really matter all that much, most politicians would actually be useful! Let's stick to judging people by what they do.

If I were to judge Patrick Chan by what he's done, I'd start with his sudden breakup with Don Laws. Something seems wonky there, something that possibly bespeaks of douchiness on Chan's part. I'd harp on that more than anything Chan might say.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If I were to judge Patrick Chan by what he's done, I'd start with his sudden breakup with Don Laws. Something seems wonky there, something that possibly bespeaks of douchiness on Chan's part. I'd harp on that more than anything Chan might say.

I think Patrick just didn't want to permanently move to Florida. There are videos of him saying how he likes to sleep in his own bed and be with his family. I kinda get the feeling he's a homebody like Joubert, but idk really because isn't he training in Colorado now?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
From what Don Laws has said, it seems Chan handled it rather badly. He just ignored Laws for a bit while training in Colorado, then finally told Laws it's over. :frown: Needs to work on his breakup skills.