Wise advice about coaches, from a coach | Golden Skate

Wise advice about coaches, from a coach

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Most of you who've followed my practice threads know I've had some concerns about the synchro class I'm taking, and our head coach, who is part of the synchro team, suggested I call the synchro coach and talk to her from the point of view of an adult skater who didn't skate as a child to help her understand how overwhelmed I am, and I'm not the only one.

I did so, and the conversation went well in general, but I felt awkward especially when I mentioned that the group of us discussed doing something simpler with different music for the holiday show. The synchro coach seemed receptive, so we'll see how it goes. I wont be at the next class so it will be interesting to see what has changed when I get back.

Since my own coach helped arranged this whole thing with synchro, I wanted to be honest with her about the whole situation and what I had said, and I noted that I hoped I didn't say anything to the other coach that might have offended her--I've only known her for a few weeks. My coach's reaction really floored me: She told me that all of us are paying for a service, and if we are not happy with it, we absolutely SHOULD let the other coach know how we feel. This is our effort, and we should get what we want out of it. My coach went on to say that she always wants students or parents to let her know if they are not happy with how things are going in their lessons so that they can discuss it and make positive changes. She also told me that a coach must be professional and welcome and expect criticism. If a coach is a real professional, she won't take things too personally and let them bother her. Overall, my coach was very supportive of me and encouraged me to always make sure that I get what I need and want from all of my training and to speak up if changes are needed.

As you might guess, I left the ice feeling warm and fuzzy all over, smiling really big after that conversation. The only other thing I can say is, well, now you see why she's my coach!!! :) :love: I just thought you'd all find this perspective interesting.

Last edited:

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Yaz - Good for you for taking control of this situation, and I especially appreciate your sharing your coach's perspective on the whole thing. This is important for all of us adults to keep in mind. I'm sure not every coach takes criticisms well, but then they shouldn't be coaching adults!

Of course, we adults have the responsibility to handle things respectfully and tactfully, like you did.

Hope you enjoy your much needed vacation. Where are you going?