Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Plushenko & other Russians comment on the Men's Event

janetfan

Match Penalty
janetfan, do you have the link please!?! thanks!

Also, I haven't officially read that Evgeni will go to Worlds, do you have a link that says he will?

lol, seems like GS has been down quite a while, now I come back & see all the many threads & posts. :thumbsup:

I read it in my morning newspaper - just a blip about it. Seniorita said he has been an ambassador from the start and I mentioned it coz I saw it in the paper .
As to Worlds - I thought he said he will compete. It probably depends on how his body is feeling. If he goes I wish him good luck and if he feels he needs a rest or break that is fine too.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Ok english lesson time! I wanted to ask this long ago. :p What put his money where his mouth is means?it means to do what one says???

Essentially, yes. Anybody can talk about something but then go ahead an put something of value on it, bet on it. In other words go on and prove it; in his case not by betting, but by doing it.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks, janetfan, I hadn't read anything about that! In fact, lol, I'm already planning on going to Sochi, Russia, even though it's 4 yrs. away. Seriously, I have 4 yrs. to prepare, to see this beautiful magestic country that I've only read about in stories, fables, Disney movies, et al, but to actually see it for the first time in my life will be like something out of a dream!:love:

Like I've said numerous times before, I don't post at any other boards except GS, and haven't since Adrian Chew's board disappeared back in 1998/99. Also, I never hang around when the competitions/season is through, I'm atta here. And sometimes I don't even come back for a year or two until a favorite does (e.g. Plushenko). Thus, this mention of his being an Ambassador I obviously missed, as I don't follow any of his fan sites dedicated to him nor every post or thread on GS.

Now I await to hear official word about his participation in 2010 Worlds. And of course, as always, I want him to finish first, but will accept any color medal. *wink*

This unprecedented loss is just the thing he needs to get him motivated. Yes, God does work in mysterious way, as I don't think Evgeni would have ever considered going to Worlds if he hadn't lost. And though I always suspected he would try for Sochi Olympics, his attitude seemed blase, remarking about being old & finishing near the bottom, etc. Now, lol, he seems to have a different attitude. :laugh:

Btw, funny how in person & on t.v. he seemed without injury nor struggling, like a young man of 18 again. Yet, I'm pretty sure that was all for show. He really was lucky to skate so strong & finish second, as I recall hearing how he had to lower the number of times he tried the quad due to the toll it was taking on his body (thank God he's a natural). And of course there was the recent knee injury in December & the ongoing injections, as well as the groin injury over the years & the other operations, et al. Yet, unlike Evan, he never brought up these operations/injuries to garner sympathy. He went for the quad regardless, whereas Evan (3 yrs. younger than Evgeni) kept mentioning his hurt foot as the reason why he didn't go for the quad. And this doesn't even take into account Brian Joubert, whom sliced his foot in half this past December, was injured & still went for all his quad, no excuses.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I agree! Then we really would have an athletically and artistically well-balanced Olympic champion. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be. :frown:

I just want all the bickering and controversy to be done with. Life is much larger than an Olympic Games!

I agree with you totally. As much as I am extremely happy that Evan got gold, I truly loved Daisuke's skating. I could watch his shord programs 50 times and still did not get bored at all. He is the most artistic skater!!
Even, you should be just proud and happy. No matter what others say, You are the Olympic gold medalist and noone can take it away. Congratulations!!!!

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
All NA people and media pushed Abbott for favourite and claimed Lysacek was a talentless skater, and all of a sudden he became the one and only all-rounded skater?

Forums were full of people bashing Lysacek and suddenly he is everyone's favourite...
This is very hypocritical...

No, this is because you choose to see it this way. I do not think Evan is a perfect skater. I have criticized his skating. I still criticize his skating but he was the best on the day, according to the judging system and rules established by the ISU. I don't know why so many people have trouble wrapping their brain around this? Stop being upset at Evan, at other posters, at the judging panel....be mad at the ISU. It's their system that rewards all components of skating, allowing Evan to win, and had the quad valued at less than ten points. If you're truly POed that Plush didn't win the gold, email the ISU and explain that you truly believe the quad needs to be worth more. But stop bashing everyone at the board who supports Evan, and stop lumping all North Americans in together, and for God's sake, stop saying Evan only won because he was North American. It's outrageous and it's why these threads won't die.

stevlin

On the Ice
Evgeni said that he gets injections in his knees every week and it is painful. Now, 4 years from now what are his knees going to be like? Swiss cheese? Perhaps he should really think about his health. All that jump, jump, jumping has to take its toll. He will get old before his time.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Per the title of this thread have we heard comments from Yags, Illia, Irina or any of the other great Russian skaters?

We have heard from Boitano, Kristi, and just this morning Tim Goebel.

Wuz just curious?

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Per the title of this thread have we heard comments from Yags, Illia, Irina or any of the other great Russian skaters?

We have heard from Boitano, Kristi, and just this morning Tim Goebel.

Wuz just curious?

sorry, I don't know if i got it right (my English is not so good...): you're saying that while the title of the thread it's about russian skater, we heard only news from US skaters....right?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Anton has spoken, Urmanov, Tarasova, Katarina Witt who is not russian, Navka, The russian Hockey captain (lol-but it was really warm words about all the team being behind him holding hands), I have skipped reading the thread here, just telling you what I know. Well you can guess what they said. Maybe more people have spoken, i lost track.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Tim Goebel? Really? Where did he speak about it?

As for the other Russian skaters....Ilia and Yags won fair and square and there really wasn't any controversy there. And I think that all three are a little to classy to really complain and get involved in this nonsense.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
not to mention a to die for jumping ability
and a unique ability to save all the jumps

Yes, he has an amazing jumping talent and managed to save some scary looking jumps. That he managed to stay on his feet, would have been enough under the 6,0 system. The CoP-system is though different, there needs to be quality and not just saved jumps.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Well, thank god the system will be changed to prevent from this Olympics travesty from ever occurring again.
Thank you, Plushenko for martyrdom to save this sport!!!!!! You knew you would never win under current ridiculous judging rules but you went for it and now we have the rightful public outcry.
It's not about Gold, it's about a cause. YOU WON!!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, thank god the system will be changed to prevent from this Olympics travesty from ever occurring again.
Thank you, Plushenko for martyrdom to save this sport!!!!!! You knew you would never win under current ridiculous judging rules but you went for it and now we have the rightful public outcry.
It's not about Gold, it's about a cause. YOU WON!!!

Yea, yea, we have already had enough bad blood and arguing from fans at GS. I asked about Yags and others since I am sure they know more than fans here.

I thought Goebel's comments were interesting. He said he thought Evan won under the current rules - but thinks the quad is not scored properly.

He may not be everybodies favorite skater - but he knows more than fans here.

No one said the rules would be changed but I am sure there will be talk about it and federations lobbying for it.