Johnny Be Robbed? | Golden Skate

Johnny Be Robbed?

UM84

On the Ice
Johnny said skating is very political and they didn't want 2 men from the same country on the podium

Lynn51

Rinkside
As much as I admire Johnny and love his skating, his program was rather bare of the transitions and moves in the field that I've always enjoyed from him. For me, his long program was pretty "bare bones" and constructed like Plushy's with just high points of jumps, spins and footwork. Don't get me wrong, I still loved watching Johnny skate and think he should have scored higher than 6th place after two almost clean programs.

Last edited:

Raatkirani

On the Ice
I'm so sick of the whole "he has no transitions" mantra. His transitions score was 7.45. Evan's and Patrick "Mr. Transitions" Chan both had 7.95. Multiply the difference by a factor of two, and you only have his transitions one point behind the gold medalist. Second, his technical element score was higher than Chan, Takahashi, and Lambiel.

Basically, he was kept behind by the PCS scores, which is a travesty. To put his interpretation, choreography (his was definitely one of the most aesthetically well balanced programs in the competition), performance (Johnny not have finesse in his performance? what are we smoking?) and skating skills (we're told over and over by our own commentators that his technique is "pure") so far back was a deliberate move by the judges to keep him off the podium.

The ugly truth is that he had no chance. There was no way the powers that be were ever going to let him medal, even with the SOHL. No way two American men would be on the podium, especially THAT one. I think he was judged fairly when it came to TES (he did lip and his spin had that small error), but when it came to the subjective scores (qualities which I think are Johnny's strong suit and what makes him so popular worldwide), the judges screwed him royally. To put him behind Chan and Lambiel was a joke, and I think he should have taken bronze.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Johnny was so ROBBED of the PEWTER MEDAL:biggrin: (jk)

Now, seriously Johnny gave his two best performances since 2006 and was seriously underscored in the PCS department. The Goes and TES were just ok. However... He wasnt top 3 material at all but I'd defintely put him above Lambiel and especially Chan.

Lynn51

Rinkside
I'm so sick of the whole "he has no transitions" mantra.

I surely didn't mean to upset you! I still prefer Johnny's older programs that were chocked full that's all. I was thrilled when Johnny was picked for the US Olympic team and really hoped he'd be the OG winner.

icebeauty

On the Ice
Johnny was so ROBBED of the PEWTER MEDAL:biggrin: (jk)

Now, seriously Johnny gave his two best performances since 2006 and was seriously underscored in the PCS department. The Goes and TES were just ok. However... He wasnt top 3 material at all but I'd defintely put him above Lambiel and especially Chan.

i agree with you. i think he deserved a higher placing. I think saying he could have been on the podium would be pushing it, but 6th was just too low...and as it's been previously pointed out, if Stojko said that Johnny was robbed, then there's not much more to say...

Poodlepal

On the Ice
ITA. I was so excited for a moment, I thought he might have had the bronze. I agree, he was kept down so there wouldn't be two Americans on the stand.

IMO, the biggest fault of COP is too small a deduction for a fall. If a good program gets 167 points, falling is a loss of 1? Less than 1%? So, the favorite can fall three times, but crooked judges can just throw three GOE points, transition points, or whatever and make up for it? That's ridiculous. A 0.1 deduction for on a 6.0 scale was about fair, but 1 point on a scaled going to 170 is ludicrous. No way should the two that fell be ahead of Johnny, uh-uh. And, so I'm not accused of American bias (not that it would be untrue in my case), Jeremy probably shouldn't have gone up 6 places either, much as I love him.

I think Weir's performances are a good example of the biggest criticism of the CoP judging system. There is such a large disconnect between what the fans love to see on the ice, and the minutia of a quarter point for this and a tenth for that.

I think Weir's performances are a good example of the biggest criticism of the CoP judging system. There is such a large disconnect between what the fans love to see on the ice, and the minutia of a quarter point for this and a tenth for that.
Speaking as a simple fan: YES. How could that elegance and intensity not be rewarded in the PC scores which claim to rate those qualities? That just makes the scoring system look subjective and political.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Johnny definately deserved way better than 6th place, he should've been in at least 4th. He probably should've won the bronze medal. He was screwed big time. On his interview on NBC last night, he said something to the effect of he knew going into these Olympics that he wouldn't medal regardless of how he skated but he was happy he had the two skates of his life.

I certainly think he was underscored in the PC, but still off the podium when added to the Tech. We're talking Dai, Evan and the "I'm the best, Evgeni"

as it was in that competition, all the competitors were extremely close.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I think he was underscored. for sure should have been above chan, not really sure of lambiel. stephane did three quad overall, not beautiful program, but however had good TES, and still good PCS, though not his best program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I felt his skate could have launched him all the way to third... that night (I was with Sandra and Scott, and I loved that Scott tried to reign himself and the others back saying they were getting too emotionally involved. w2g Scott! don't need another media nightmare like 2002!)

I'd be happy if he were fourth... but I'm not happy with where he really ended up. his skate was better than what the judges said.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The ugly truth is that he had no chance.

I think the ugly truth is that compared to e.g. Chan and Lambiel, Weir had a kind of 6,0 system freeskate, while those two benefitted from having a CoP choreography.

Penny

On the Ice
So now we know--audiences just don't care about "transitions." And has anyone really looked at Plushenko's PC scores. Four judges gave him insanely high scores (9.0s and 9.5s), but we don't know who those 4 judges are. They tried their best to give him the gold. They couldn't hyperinflate his tech scores without drawing attention. I'm sick.