Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world?

Cadiva

On the Ice
I find BBC commentator Robin Cousins also seemed a little bit more prefer Evan's or at least he's definitely OK with the result.

Odd because when I was watching the BBC coverage live Robin Cousins thought Plushenko had put in a more technical performance and was surprised when he didn't receive enough points to win. He said his favourite out of the lot was Takahasi and he would have liked him to have won if he had landed the attempted quad. He said his was the most complete of all the LPs.

Let's not drag Cousins into this. I love his commentating but having read a rather iffy article with rather iffy comments by him between the SP and LP on Cousins' part I'd skip his opinion as unbiased here.

Where did you read this and what are you claiming he was saying? Besides which, the original poster is asking what other commentators on other channels though not whether they were unbiased or not.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Odd because when I was watching the BBC coverage live Robin Cousins thought Plushenko had put in a more technical performance and was surprised when he didn't receive enough points to win. He said his favourite out of the lot was Takahasi and he would have liked him to have won if he had landed the attempted quad. He said his was the most complete of all the LPs.

Where did you read this and what are you claiming he was saying? Besides which, the original poster is asking what other commentators on other channels though not whether they were unbiased or not.

Exactly, some people need to check their ears.
On a sie note, I can not stand that clueless woman next to him:( What's her face? Barker. I think.

Orion

Rinkside
In Sweden, commentators of long standing Roger Blomqvist and Lotta Falkenbäck (former Swedish figureskating champion) were totally convinced Plushenko was the winner and used a word basically meaning that he was impossible to match and in a class by himself - when they saw the score they let out an audible gasp - they were stunned he didn't win!

Diva

On the Ice
The commentators of German Eurosport were pretty sure that Plushenko has won and actually it was the same explanation I thought it would be.
They said that Plush was a bit wobbly on almost all jumps but he didn't make any big mistakes so the big combo of 4-3 should make up for the shaky jumps. They added that he isn't the one with the best components but that Lysacek isn't the one who wins competitions because of his components [which in the end didn't happen because if I remember correctly they were pretty even and he won on the technical side] like Kozuka, Takahashi or Chan.
Then they talked how amazing his comeback was and that he achieved something not a lot of other skaters have and that it wasn't very common that comeback skaters end up on the top of the podium (->1994). When the results came up Schamberger (the expert, former German ice dance champion) said "Oh no, that can't be true".

I have to say that I can't really say how biased they are. Lysacek isn't their favorite skater but they always respected what he did, which means they didn't talk him down like they sometimes do with others. Actually I think they like him more since he won Worlds last year and they really liked his performance in L.A., unfortunately I haven't watched his skate with German commentary. On the other hand they are usually quite supportive of Plushenko, even what I remember of the time for years ago. Probably 'supportive' isn't the right word, it's kinda hard to explain. They have a very high respect for his technical abilities and his accomplishments, already eight years ago but back in SLC they preferred Yagudin way over Plushenko so I think it has something to do with his success and they doubted for quite a long time that he would really come back and that it wasn't a PR-thing :)
So in the end I would say that their liking of the skaters is pretty even with a tendency to Plushenko ;)

I watched the actual competition on Foxtel and I can't really remember what they said but I think they thought Plushenko won, can't remember if they gave an explanation but in the end they were okay with the result.

Last edited:

yangjie

On the Ice
a Japanese coach Kumiko Sato, the wife of Nobuo Sato, who coachs kozuka and is also Yuka Sato's mother, said Evan deserved the gold.
but she emphasized that if junior skaters ' follow' him, there would be no future in the men's figure skaing.

Takeshi Honda said ,'Plushenko jumed the quads for the future of figure skating. I am sad becouse i spent my skating life in the QUADS TIME. In my personal view, quads should be more evaluated.

I think all the Japanese commentator think Evan deserved the gold, but they dont like the trend that quadless skaters can tend to win.

screech

Final Flight
I've kind of started thinking like gymnastics.

If there were individual events, like jumping, spinning, footwork, etc, then Plush or Weir would have won jumping, Lambiel spinning, Takahashi or Chan footwork, etc.

But figure skating is like the 'all round' competition. And on that night, Evan was the best all round competitor. No, he wouldn't have won anything if it was based on individual aspects of the sport, but putting it all together, he was good enough in all areas to be tops overall.

MexFan

Spectator
I live in the U.S. but I am able to watch a channel from Mexico. A few days, after the competition, I watched a reshowing of the men's competition. They showed all the programs from the top men, but rearranged the programs so that Lysack and Plushenko's programs were back to back. The four commentators after seeing the two programs, still felt that Plushenko should have won. They compared them and said that their skating is similiar (I think they meant that both tend to concentrate on the techincal side of skating). One of the commentators, mentioned that both had problems with the entries to their jumps. However, they believed that Plushenko was technically superior and had greater presence, comand than Evan. But, in the end, they felt that it came to whom you prefer. They had been surprised that Plushenko lost, but could understand why Evan won

Since it was a reshowing, they also included messages sent by Mexican fans. All of them thought Plushenko should have one. There was one that criticized the biased commentary by American commentators.

UM84

On the Ice
I don't buy the whole "without the quad, men skating will die" argument. Were going to keep putting more and more pressure on these younger skaters until one of them get hurt bad

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Maybe you should listen the BBC broadcast again, because those were not the words of Cousins. Even in the middle of Plushenko´s skate, he mentioned that "Lysacek has got it". Later he spoke about quality, meaning Lysacek.

Cadiva

On the Ice
Maybe you should listen the BBC broadcast again, because those were not the words of Cousins. Even in the middle of Plushenko´s skate, he mentioned that "Lysacek has got it". Later he spoke about quality, meaning Lysacek.

Not what I believe I heard, certainly not him saying Lysacek had got it but as it's not on the BBC site to watch again at the moment I'm not getting into an argument over it.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Not what I believe I heard, certainly not him saying Lysacek had got it but as it's not on the BBC site to watch again at the moment I'm not getting into an argument over it.

About the article - frankly I have no idea. I read so many articles that I just don't remember. The only reason I do remember it was his making a comment on Plushenko is because the comments on the article were slinging mud at him for acting so unprofessionally. I don't think he was overly harsh but it was biased comment hence my classification as an iffy article. Of course, it is possible the journo went and cut up what Cousins said, would not be the first time!

Cadiva

On the Ice
About the article - frankly I have no idea. I read so many articles that I just don't remember. The only reason I do remember it was his making a comment on Plushenko is because the comments on the article were slinging mud at him for acting so unprofessionally. I don't think he was overly harsh but it was biased comment hence my classification as an iffy article. Of course, it is possible the journo went and cut up what Cousins said, would not be the first time!

Ahh, I see what you mean, I thought you were saying he was biased in favour of Plushenko and therefore his opinion was suspect. I don't think he had a favourite either way going into the competition from what I'd seen and heard.

naughteousmaximus

Spectator
This is hilarious. Obviously another crybaby who can't read the code of points, just like their hero Plushenko. If anything Plushy was given a massive gift on the second mark, esp his nonexistent transitions (to which he admits. How can he accept a mark over 4 when given 6.85 if he is actually an honourable sportsman?). I agree that the medal placings are wrong, Takahashi deserved silver from the way the rules are written.

naughteousmaximus

Spectator
But don't despair, figure-jumping fans! Male figure-skating may no longer be for 'men', but Plushy is ready to help...

Coming to Fox this spring and airing opposite “Shaq Vs.”

“Who’s the Man” starring Evgeni Plushenko.

Famous for declaring that, “If it does not have Quad, it is not Man’s sport.”, Evgeni will tour the world challenging famous athletes from other sports to “perform Quad or be declared girl.” Plushenko will then take part in the famous athlete’s sport to show them what “real man” can do.

Filming has reportedly gone well and a sneak preview of Episode 4 has been made available…..

Fade in..

Plushenko is shown flying through the air in his signature quad-triple combination, again and again. A voice-over says, “Tonight on ‘Who’s the Man’, Evgeni Plushenko will show the of Mixed Martial Arts just who’s tough and who’s going to fall after 2 rotations. Recapping our season so far we have seen Evgeni as he dazzled us with his artistry and testosterone in the sports of…”

Episode 1 - Greco Roman Wrestling

Evgeni meets fellow countryman and 12-time world super-heavyweight champion Alexander Karelin to see if Karelin had what it takes to be a Man on the ice. Completing just one-and-a-half rotations in the air, Karelin is taunted and taunted until Plushenko’s voice is hoarse. Moving to the wrestling mat from the ice, Plushy unfortunately succumbs to Karelin’s famous Reverse Body Lift and suffers a severe concussion and several broken ribs. Karelin storms off the mat and proceeds to demolish a nearby building with his bare hands.

Episode 2 - Ice Hockey

After emerging from a 4-week stay in the hospital and being told to, “avoid bright lights for a few weeks to help with the headaches,” Evgeni dons a pair of sunglasses and heads to Philadelphia where an old-timers game of the 1976 Flyers is scheduled.

“At least hockey players know ice; maybe they will show me Quad,” quips Plushy.

The closest any of the Flyers come is 2 ½ rotations from Bobby ‘twinkletoes’ Clarke. Some mockery ensues from both sides as Dave ‘the hammer’ Schultz mutters, “I knew Clarke was light in the loafers. Not that there’s anything wrong with that,” and Plushy shoots back, “You are not ‘Hammer’, you are ‘Lace Doily’ Schultz. Changing in their toepicks for flat blades, the hockey portion of the show lasts exactly 4 seconds before Shultz pulls Plushenko’s sweater over his head and pounds him in the face 52 times as his team-mates keep count while drinking a few brews at the boards. The episode ends with a rag-doll Plushenko lying on the ice in a spreading pool of blood and Schultz at an Eagles game fighting 5 Cowboys fans at one time.

Episode 3 – Professional Boxing

Plushy is shown emerging from the dental surgeon’s where brand-new bridgework has replaced the 9 teeth he lost in the previous episode. Healing stitches cover roughly half his face. Admiring himself in the mirror, Plushenko says, “Ladies love scars…and Quad.”

A black stretch limousine pulls up to the arena and out emerges…’Iron’ Mike Tyson. After 10 seconds of bleeped obscenities from both sides, the picture is cut and a disclaimer comes on the screen saying, “This episode has been deemed to be too violent and outrageous for Fox. Copies are available for download on iTunes for just $4.99. Now stay tuned for a preview episode of Fox’s new reality series, “Who wants to be a pole dancer?”

Episode 4 – Mixed Martial Arts

Our hero is shown in an intensive care unit in a full body cast. Smiling for the camera, he says, “Van Gogh also had one ear only – I am going to be famous artist when I am done dazzling world and loving ladies with Quad.” After several months of physical therapy, Plushy declares himself ready to humiliate the next “contact-sport pansy”. Behind-the-scenes cameras show negotiations with UFC President Dana White making Georges St-Pierre the famous athlete. Plushy’s people list his various injuries to date, emphasizing his ruptured spleen, and ask if the gentlemanly St. Pierre will, “really try Quad and not react badly if he fails”. Everything is going fine until St. Pierre reinjures his abductor muscle just before filming is to begin, whereupon he is replaced by 280-lb, no-fuse psychopath monster Brock Lesnar.

Stunning the entire audience, Minnesota boy Lesnar reveals that he loved skating as a child and his hero was none other than US legend Brian Boitano. His father had created a back-yard rink at the family farm in hopes of encouraging a hockey career but all Lesnar wanted to do was Axels and Spread Eagles as well as the famed ‘'Tano triple' Lutz. Lesnar does his best to get up speed and tries the quad toe again and again. Plushy shouts mocking encouragement all the time, using lines like “Get your **** in the air, girl!” and “White Americans can’t Jump!”. Finally, as Lesnar fails once again Plushenko has enough, saying, “You cannot do Quad. You are woman, not man.”

Lesnar, with a face now roughly the colour of the Chinese flag, storms up and says, “I’m going to make you MY woman in the cage!”

After another cut-away from Fox declaring the action too hot to broadcast, the voice-over declares that this will be the last episode of “Who’s the Man.” Evgeni has decided to move in with Brock on Lesnar’s farm in the Dakotas and is considering having The Surgery.

Rhinoplasty, that is. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Bennett

Record Breaker
They compared them and said that their skating is similiar (I think they meant that both tend to concentrate on the techincal side of skating). One of the commentators, mentioned that both had problems with the entries to their jumps. However, they believed that Plushenko was technically superior and had greater presence, comand than Evan. But, in the end, they felt that it came to whom you prefer. They had been surprised that Plushenko lost, but could understand why Evan won
I agree with almost everything that is discussed here.

I live in the U.S. but I am able to watch a channel from Mexico. A few days, after the competition, I watched a reshowing of the men's competition. They showed all the programs from the top men, but rearranged the programs so that Lysack and Plushenko's programs were back to back. The four commentators after seeing the two programs, still felt that Plushenko should have won. They compared them and said that their skating is similiar (I think they meant that both tend to concentrate on the techincal side of skating). One of the commentators, mentioned that both had problems with the entries to their jumps. However, they believed that Plushenko was technically superior and had greater presence, comand than Evan. But, in the end, they felt that it came to whom you prefer. They had been surprised that Plushenko lost, but could understand why Evan won
It's an opinion which every red blooded American macho man would agree (there's nothing like the Quad). You mentioned the American commentators but you did not mention the judges. Was there a reason for that?

genegri

Spectator
^ My guess would be because this thread is about what international commentataors said, not judges. Which I am also very interested in knowing. Here in US, Sandra and Scott thought it was close but implied that Plushenko didn't do enough.

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's an opinion which every red blooded American macho man would agree (there's nothing like the Quad). You mentioned the American commentators but you did not mention the judges. Was there a reason for that?

Didn't the poster say Mexico? The post didn't mention the quad, either.

Last edited:

MexFan

Spectator

My post was just a summary about what the Mexican commentators had said. The comment about the American commentators been biased was made by a fan texting his/her opinion to the program.

When they mentioned that Plushenko was technically superior they did not concentrate just on the quad.