Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who won the men's title according to TV commentators around the world?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
true, but I like Dai's skating, and I think his fans would have to deal with a whole lot of the same as what Evan's fans are. Evan is blissfully unaware of what's being said (I hope) and thank God for that :laugh: it'll calm down eventually.

He's not unaware. NBCOlympics had an article where he said he was hurt by Plushenko's comments because he'd looked up to Plushenko.

irinas

Rinkside
It was funny how the turkish commentator reacted for the result. After Plushenko skated, he was so sure that Plushenko had won the event, started to say how perfect he was, his artistry, his jumps and that he was going to get another gold medal. When the results were announced, he could only say "...and this is not enough. He wins the silver!" , apparently he was in sudden shock. After all, he started to say how perfect Evan was, his artistry and his jumps just like he said about Plushenko lol. No surprise. He still doesn't understand much about figure skating, even though he has been making commentary for more than 10 years.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Derluking just to add my little colour piece.
In Italy the commentators Franca Bianconi and Valentina Marchei were positive that Plushenko had the win, going as far as deeming him "superhuman", and were genuinely flabbergasted when he didn't win.

actually I thought that Fusco was the more positive about Plushenko winning...Bianconi and Marchei said something like "yes, I think he did enough to win, but let's wait to see what will the judges think about it" (because they previously thought that weir could be before chan and maybe also lambiel, and it didn't come out!)

caelicola

Spectator
actually I thought that Fusco was the more positive about Plushenko winning...Bianconi and Marchei said something like "yes, I think he did enough to win, but let's wait to see what will the judges think about it" (because they previously thought that weir could be before chan and maybe also lambiel, and it didn't come out!)

Yeah, sorry, I always try to forget about Fusco.
But you're right, he was absolutely certain, while the women were more cautious. Just shows what he knows.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Philippe Pélissier on French Eurosport said at the end of Evgeni's performanc ethat he was Olympic champion. When He found out the Evan had one, he said that he was happy as he was hoping that Evan would win.

When perfomances and scores are a close as this, ther's obviously going to be contorversy - whoever wins.

BTW, Philippe Candeloro always goes on about corrupt judges etc so his reaction is not a surprise.

isask8

Spectator
Dutch commentators already thought Plushenko won before the scores were announced. She said something like "Unbelievable, he did it again!" and some more similar things. And then the scores came and they sounded really surprised saying "He's behind!! He's behind!! It's going to be Evan!!" and "I'm kinda in shock now".:laugh:

But in the end they thought it was nice that Evan won.
They agreed Evan's program was more complete and that his interpretation was better. Or something like that.

gfskater

On the Ice
I don't think commentators understand IJS, I know some coaches don't... Hello Mishin. You can find the rules at www.isu.org

If you look at Plushenko's face at the end of his program, to me he does not look so sure he won. It looks like "Those jumps were pretty wabbly I hope that did not cost me the title..." But that could be a russian to english facial expression translation issue

Hadria

Rinkside
Our commentator, a former skater and now a judge, said that Evan obviously did better. She expected Evan to win.

pengdequan

Rinkside
I find BBC commentator Robin Cousins also seemed a little bit more prefer Evan's or at least he's definitely OK with the result.

Alatariel

On the Ice
I find BBC commentator Robin Cousins also seemed a little bit more prefer Evan's or at least he's definitely OK with the result.

Let's not drag Cousins into this. I love his commentating but having read a rather iffy article with rather iffy comments by him between the SP and LP on Cousins' part I'd skip his opinion as unbiased here.

pengdequan

Rinkside
So that British commentator think it's Plushenko to win is not correct.I don't know British Eurosport,but at least BBC is OK with this result.

UM84

On the Ice
So do any of these commentators watch figure skating reguarly. Do these realize almost all of Plushenkos jumps were shaky, his program was horrible (with hip shakes and all), it was full of arrogance in the mindset that "I can do anything and win".

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
The commentators on Danish Europort (Michael Tyllesen (former figure skater) and Anette Nygaard, I think) thought Plushenko had won. But they could see how he had lost it, too. On danish TV2 they (Mikkeline Kierkgaard, former figure skater) were also a bit suprised over the result. (But I was tired, so I don't remember exactly what they said)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Niklas Hogner (skater), commentator on swedish Eurosport, didn't think P had won the gold after his skate. He and Cecilia Willberg(coach) talked about plus(4-3 combination) and minus(wobbly jumps and rather empty program). They meant the result was fair.

Roger Blomqvist and Lotta Falkenbäck(former skater), swedish television, were over the top with P's "fantastic skating" and thought it was the best. Lotta sounded a bit unsure though, pointing out how nervous and tense he seemed. Both of them love Plushenko, but were happy for Evan, calling him a "super sensation".

All four excited about Takahashi:
"Definitely the best skater if all men did clean short and long programs" (Niklas)
"Yes, it can't be done much better, if he manages his jumps" (Cecilia)
"Great come back" (Roger)
"The best steps of all (Lotta)

coconutpunch

Rinkside
The Japanese media were pretty neutral about this post-comp too, from what I read. A few noted folks like Kumiko Sato mentioned that the ideal will be to see a well-choreographed program *with* the quad - she mentioned everyone following Evan's jump layout will do nothing for the sport, but gave him kudos for skating clean back-to-back.

Germanice

On the Ice
German commentator Rudi Cerne (ZDF) made no predictions at all; after Plushenko's skate he just wondered: "Will it be enough?" And he twaddled something like "Jumper (Plush) against artist (L-y-s-a-c-e-k!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ), who'll make it?"

Last edited:

Big Deal

Final Flight
The Hungarian Eurosport commentator was sure the judges will give the Gold to Plushenko, but she had an opinion, Lysacek was better with his whole package (she is a ISU judge).
Klara Enghi, the commentator of the Hungarian TV (was 4th in a WorldChamps in ice dance before) said during the slo-mo of Plushenko before even the score appaered, this stepsequence was to entertain the crowd with arms, but it is ZERO as a stepsequence.
The Eurosport commentator said: this is a stepsequence without steps!
So, in both channels the clear favourite of the commentators was Lysacek.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadiva

On the Ice
The Canadian coverage was really very unbiased, Pelletier and Manley were really excellent in that regard.

I'm not sure, as a journalist for 20 years, that I'd call Sale's referring to Plushenko as "not convincing, I'm not buying it" and all the other things she came out with, as being unbiased for the Canadian TV coverage. On the BBC, Robin Cousins, himself an Olympic mens champion as you're all not doubt quite aware, said it would be close but he had Plushenko just edging it.