Ladies Practice Reports | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I think Yuna will probably do very well in the SP. But I also feel the judges at the Olympics will make the scores closer than what we've seen at previous competitions unless everyone else makes mistakes. The scores were all pretty close for pairs and men, so I think the judges want the race to be decided in the LP (it makes for good ratings :) )

Why would the judges do that though... I doubt the judges will be holding back, considering the pretty monstrous totals the men got. 2006 where Shizuka, Sasha and Irina were pretty much even after the SP was because they had pretty similar skates. But if someone skates well in the SP and is the clear leader, why wouldn't there be a substantial lead?

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I'm kidding. This under-rotation crap is a load of bunk. Under-rotation is a jump quality issue, should not result in a massive loss of points via a downgrade and should be addressed in GOE. And it definitely shouldn't cut back on anybody's donations.

Agreed. Underrotations are load of crock and bull; it should factor into GOE, not bring the base value of a whole jump when completing the jump was clearly far more difficult than executing a jump with one less rotation.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why would the judges do that though... I doubt the judges will be holding back, considering the pretty monstrous totals the men got. 2006 where Shizuka, Sasha and Irina were pretty much even after the SP was because they had pretty similar skates. But if someone skates well in the SP and is the clear leader, why wouldn't there be a substantial lead?

There likely will be, especially if only a few women land 3-3s. If Yuna does her gorgeous 3lz-3t and Miki does the 3-2 and Mao has her 3a UR, Yuna will have a big lead (unless Carolina does 3f-3t and is clean) and it will be deserved.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Miki Ando's score was really inflated at GPF (PCS and GOE suddenly goes through the roof, in her home country JAPAN - you get the idea). Also, if it weren't for that ridiculous downgrade, Yuna won SP at GPF.

You're right. If Yu-Na didn't get the 3T downgraded, she would've won the SP. But Miki's scores were deserved. And the GOEs Miki received in the LP at the GPF are not that different from the ones she received at Rostelecom Cup.

:agree:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I think Mao will be given the benefit of the doubt on her 3A if she lands it and it's close to 1/4 underrotation. Same applies for any other landed 3-3. IMHO, that's as far as the judes can and would go about trying to keep the scores close.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
(PCS and GOE suddenly goes through the roof, in her home country JAPAN - you get the idea)

Actually, we don't get the idea. Miki usually receives higher scores outside Japan, so...

:sheesh:

And if you say Miki got high scores because the competition was held in Japan, then Miki isn't the only getting high scores because competitions are held in skaters' home country.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
You are kidding, right?? lol If you have been following figure skating recently, it's impossible to say that Mao can match Yuna in terms of PCS and GOES. Maybe that is what you want?

lol of course I have... I'm taking more into account than just this season. But let's look at their most recent ISU skates (Yu-Na GPF, Mao 4CC)

GOEs Short program: Mao at 4CC's vs. Yu-Na GPF... disregarding the 3F which both popped and opening jump sequence, which both underrotated... Mao outscored Yu-Na's GOEs on every single other element except for the spiral sequence in which Mao made a mistake. Edge: Mao.

PCS Short program: Yu-Na tops Mao's PCS by 3 points. Edge: Yu-Na

GOEs Long Program: 7.98 gained by Mao... only -GOEs come from the 3A+2T combo for underrotation on the 2T, 6.62 gained by Yu-Na... only -GOEs coming from underrotating her 3T in 2A+3T combo. Edge: Mao

PCS Long Program: 61.52 Yu-Na, 58.16 Mao. Edge: Yu-Na

When you go about factoring in the GOEs and PCS scores... that is pretty evenly matched.

Also here is an interesting comparison article:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympicp...ml?chrcontext=clash#is+asada+kim+rivalry+back

Personally, I will be equally happy if Yu-Na, Mao, or Miki take Gold. They are all tremendously talented, hard-working, and beautiful young athletes that are inspirations to so many young skaters. They are all equally deserving.... the only thing I don't want to see is an upset and have someone like Rachael Flatt wind up on top of the podium. Miki, Yu-Na and Mao have given us great programs and competitions these past 4 years and they are all truly OGM material

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
lol of course I have... I'm taking more into account than just this season. But let's look at their most recent ISU skates (Yu-Na GPF, Mao 4CC)

GOEs Short program: Mao at 4CC's vs. Yu-Na GPF... disregarding the 3F which both popped and opening jump sequence, which both underrotated... Mao outscored Yu-Na's GOEs on every single other element except for the spiral sequence in which Mao made a mistake. Edge: Mao.

GOEs Long Program: 7.98 gained by Mao... only -GOEs come from the 3A+2T combo for underrotation on the 2T, 6.62 gained by Yu-Na... only -GOEs coming from underrotating her 3T in 2A+3T combo. Edge: Mao

When you go about factoring in the GOEs and PCS scores... that is pretty evenly matched.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympicp...ml?chrcontext=clash#is+asada+kim+rivalry+back

Personally, I will be equally happy if Yu-Na, Mao, or Miki take Gold. They are all tremendously talented, hard-working, and beautiful young athletes that are inspirations to so many young skaters. They are all equally deserving.... the only thing I don't want to see is an upset and have someone like Rachael Flatt wind up on top of the podium. Miki, Yu-Na and Mao have given us great programs and competitions these past 4 years and they are all truly OGM material

The only thing wrong with this post is that 4CC tends to overscore competitors, much more than events within the GP series.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Actually, we don't get the idea. Miki usually receives higher scores outside Japan, so...

:sheesh:

And if you say Miki got high scores because the competition was held in Japan, then Miki isn't the only getting high scores because competitions are held in skaters' home country.

Agreed. If you go look at the Japanese Skating page... you will see that at Japanese Nationals (especially this year), the skaters were marked even more critically than they had been in international competition previous to it, and for the men, even more than they were at the Olympics. Underrotations, edge marks, etc. are everywhere across the score sheets.

miki88

Medalist

Yea, but a lot of the men got monstrous scores. So I am thinking Yuna won't be the only skater getting monstrous scores unless she's the only one who skates clean. If Miki does her 3-3 she will get a monstrous score and Joannie probably will considering hometown score. If Mao gets her 3A ratified then she will get a big score too. I don't really mind inflation if the placing at the end is right.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice

But will mao take the edge like that competing with Yuna at the same event?

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Agreed. If you go look at the Japanese Skating page... you will see that at Japanese Nationals (especially this year), the skaters were marked even more critically than they had been in international competition previous to it, and for the men, even more than they were at the Olympics. Underrotations, edge marks, etc. are everywhere across the score sheets.
\

Just because it is nationals it doesnt mean the flaws should not be catched by tech. Also, if you looked at the scores and GOEs, you wouldn't say stupid things like "the skaters were marked even more critically than they had been in international competition previous to it"

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think what Mao has going for her now is that she is noticably on the upswing right now... after a disastrous start to the season, she's now finished it with gold at Japanese Nationals and 4CCs and a better consistency on her 3A's. That's not a bad feeling to have. Yu-Na, on the other hand, I almost feel a bit sorry for her... because her last showing at an event (GPF) had her 3-3 combination underrotated in the SP and not even attempted in the LP, a big change from having it in both programs with great GOE marks at the beginning of the Grand Prix season. Not to mention, she has the weight of being the current World Champion and the first South Korean lady able to win the OGM on her shoulders. That's a big burden to carry, and it was lifted for Mao (and Miki as well) by Shizuka taking the OGM in Turin. Yu-Na also seems to have less self-confidence than Mao (which should be completely ridiculous considering how sensational she is)... considering it was said she was "very relieved" not to have to compete against Mao in the GPF. Miki is also in a better spot, with most of the Japanese media focused on Mao and the Mao vs. Yu-Na rivalry, she is an able competitor (who doesn't have the spotlight and pressure on her to the extent that it was last Olympics) with the potential to skate away with the gold medal if the pressure gets to Mao or Yu-Na and they crack under it.

Johnnnn

On the Ice

If you want to compare Mao and Yuna (although I don't recommend it if you are Mao's fan), just look at the competitions they entered together and you will realize that there is no way Mao will get same GOE and PCS as Yuna in a same competition. If both skates clean, Yuna wins. Everybody knows it except few people.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
If you want to compare Mao and Yuna (although I don't recommend it if you are Mao's fan), just look at the competitions they entered together and you will realize that there is no way Mao will get same GOE and PCS as Yuna in a same competition. If both skates clean, Yuna wins. Everybody knows it except few people.

Your attitude is kind of robotic. Not everyone has to like Yu-Na, ok?

--'

Until the 2008/2009 season, Mao used to receive higher PCS than Yu-Na. Everybody knows it, except you. Mao's PCS at 4CC were a bit harsh and should've been higher.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Yu-Na also seems to have less self-confidence than Mao

lol oh please stop posting your wishes. She never showed lack of self-confidence. She was rock solid during the media day a while ago and at the official practice today. Yuna has solid technique and good programs while Mao doesn't have any of that. I find it pointless replying to some of the comments because the intention behind them is so obvious.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Anyway, back to practice reports.

How is Miki doing? I hear she's training intensely at her own rink. What about Joannie, Rachael, Mirai, etc?

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Your attitude is kind of robotic. Not everyone has to like Yu-Na, ok?

--'

Until the 2008/2009 season, Mao used to receive higher PCS than Yu-Na. Everybody knows it, except you. Mao's PCS at 4CC were a bit harsh and should've been higher.

Are we talking about two years ago now? lol I'm not talking about liking Yuna, I'm talking about truth. Ask any legend skaters. Why do you think Yuna is favourite?

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
lol oh please stop posting your wishes. She never showed lack of self-confidence. She was rock solid during the media day a while ago and at the official practice today. Yuna has solid technique and good programs while Mao doesn't have any of that. I find it pointless replying to some of the comments because the intention behind them is so obvious.

And what is the intention?

:confused:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rofl: The apocalypse is rising already and the ladies' event doesn't even start until Tuesday night. Oh boy, cyberspace will never be the same after Tuesday night. Enjoy these times everyone, the tempest is coming!