Ladies Practice Reports | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies Practice Reports

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone else hear the practice report on Terry Gannon's show today? The intern (?) said that Yu Na's jumps were incredible but that she didn't have the same line and that her spins and spirals were not as good as some of the other ladies. It was sort of an "emperor has no clothes moment."

magicalwords

On the Ice
I like Mao's pink costume better than the new one. Well, the old wasn't much better..
Seriously, why can't she go back to Nocturne or Fantasie Impromptu-ish costumes? Those were gorgeous and they matched her really well.

CassieH

Rinkside
I like Mao's pink costume better than the new one. Well, the old wasn't much better..
Seriously, why can't she go back to Nocturne or Fantasie Impromptu-ish costumes? Those were gorgeous and they matched her really well.

ITA. My favorite is her 09 4CC SP costume. It was beautiful.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
I get the impression from reading your past posts that you wouldn't like anything Mao wears. Or does. Or says. But, back to your question, I actually think she looks quite nice in it.

lol everyone has different opinions. At least I didn't make stuff up like some people here.

aurora100

Final Flight
Did anyone else hear the practice report on Terry Gannon's show today? The intern (?) said that Yu Na's jumps were incredible but that she didn't have the same line and that her spins and spirals were not as good as some of the other ladies. It was sort of an "emperor has no clothes moment."

where does this come from? You Tube of her LP practice looked the same as how she has been skating all season plus no mistake in jumps.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Yuna isn't known for her spins, though. She does enough to get level 4 and pretty good GOE but her high scores come from her great jumps with huge GOE and her PCS.

Yu Na has her signature bent leg layover camel ( The Yu Na Spin) that no one else can dream of performing.
This alone IMHO, should mop the floor with Asada's or any other ladies' spins in the field.
Only lady who can top Yu Na would be Alissa Cziney with her accelerating I spin.

M

mylastduchess

Yu Na has her signature bent leg layover camel ( The Yu Na Spin) that no one else can dream of performing.
This alone IMHO, should mop the floor with Asada's or any other ladies' spins in the field.
Only lady who can top Yu Na would be Alissa Cziney with her accelerating I spin.
so your telling me that because she has a "signature" spin that makes her spin superior to everybody else? and what makes you think that the other girls can only dream of performing that spin, look at the positions in miria's spins see if you think the "yu-na" spin is comparable.

RumbleFish

Rinkside

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

Er... no one else can dream of performing? Mao, Mirai, and Caroline have all also done this spin as well (a few others I believe too). Yu-Na might have made it her signature, but it isn't "impossible" for everyone else (especially since it's been done hehe). Yu-Na also needed more variations in her repetoire considering her lack of a solid layback or Biellman (although I think I've seen enough so many these past few seasons to last a life time... the nice ones like Mirai, Caroline and Mao's are great, but so many look bleh). Yu-Na's centering is nice and her speed is average, but she certainly isn't up there with Alissa Czsiny or Caroline Zhang on spins. The one thing I do like about her spins more than others are the clear transitions, since some skaters can be quite sloppy when they transition from one position to another.

Last edited:

RumbleFish

Rinkside
so your telling me that because she has a "signature" spin that makes her spin superior to everybody else? and what makes you think that the other girls can only dream of performing that spin, look at the positions in miria's spins see if you think the "yu-na" spin is comparable.

I like Mirai's spins as well.
Her spins are tight, nicely positioned, and well centered.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't say her spins are the best in the business.

Alissa's I spin and Yu Na's bent leg layover camel have qualities that are beyond comparison IMO.
They are beyond what level tech panel give or how much GOE judges mark.
If there are other ladies who can match these 2 elements, I will be happy to take my words back as joy of watching them would outweigh damage done to my ego.

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I like Mirai's spins as well.
Her spins are tight, nicely positioned, and well centered.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't say her spins are the best in the business.

Alissa's I spin and Yu Na's bent leg layover camel have qualities that are beyond comparison IMO.
They are beyond what level tech panel give or how much GOE judges mark.
If there are other ladies who can match these 2 elements, I will be happy to take my words back as joy of watching them would overweigh keeping my ego.

"Yu-Na spin" (also known as a lay-over spin) done by a man in artistic rollerskating in 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhBpkP_nQPg&feature=related ... amateur skater doing the "Yu-Na" spin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltHeLmvl4sY

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Er... no one else can dream of performing? Mao, Mirai, and Caroline have all also done this spin as well (a few others I believe too). Yu-Na might have made it her signature, but it isn't "impossible" for everyone else (especially since it's been done hehe). Yu-Na also needed more variations in her repetoire considering her lack of a solid layback or Biellman (although I think I've seen enough so many these past few seasons to last a life time... the nice ones like Mirai, Caroline and Mao's are great, but so many look bleh). Yu-Na's centering is nice and her speed is average, but she certainly isn't up there with Alissa Czsiny or Caroline Zhang on spins. The one thing I do like about her spins more than others are the clear transitions, since some skaters can be quite sloppy when they transition from one position to another.

I haven't seen Mirai and Caroline perform the bent-leg layover camel, so I would appreciate a clip to back up your point.
Mao tried the move a couple of times last year but ditched it since.
Though I give credit to Mao for trying, it was no where close in quality terms to the original. LOL

BTW, Yu Na's layback and biellman may not be the best, but I find them solid and respectable.

quikrush

Rinkside
A cleanly skated LP from Yuna finally!!
It is gorgeous beyond words. I can't wait to see her doing the same thing in competition.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Good tries! But both of them almost fell flat on their backs.

Not quite... (but obviously an amateur skater isn't going to have Yu-Na's quality)... but she also wasn't the first to do this spin, it's a variation of the Harding spin.... look at clip #3 on this youtube video and you will see the Yu-Na spin 10 years before she tried it (Yu-Na is also included in this video... it's a clip with all bent Camel spins; Mao Asada and Caroline Zhang are also included. Actually of all of them, I think Caroline Zhang's is the best). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Ua...DE8115B4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Not quite... (but obviously an amateur skater isn't going to have Yu-Na's quality)... but she also wasn't the first to do this spin, it's a variation of the Harding spin.... look at clip #3 on this youtube video and you will see the Yu-Na spin 10 years before she tried it (Yu-Na is also included in this video... it's a clip with all bent Camel spins; Mao Asada and Caroline Zhang are also included. Actually of all of them, I think Caroline Zhang's is the best). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Ua...DE8115B4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

Big difference is that while in Yu Na spin, her upper body position is parallel, whereas Harding has her back perpendicular to the ice.
To me, these are two distinctive moves that require different degree of balance and strength.

As for Mao and Caroline, their heads and shoulders are tilting down making their spins look more like variations of lay backs rather than camel spins IMO.
Moreover, I don't find any point in arguing about moves that are not performed in competitions or get judges' ratification.

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Big difference is that while in Yu Na spin, her upper body position is parallel, whereas Harding has her back perpendicular to the ice.
To me, these are two distinctive moves that require different degree of balance and strength.

As for Mao and Caroline, their heads and shoulders are tilting down making their spins look more like variations of lay backs rather than camel spins IMO.
Moreover, I don't find any point in arguing about moves that are not performed in competitions or get judges' ratification.

It isn't arguing, it's making a point. If you don't want a response, don't make blanket statements that are presented as fact when they are opinion. Yu-Na's layover camel spin is beautiful, but you made a statement impying that no one else can do it (proven to be not true) and then asked to see video clips of the examples (shown). I just provided you with that. (Also, yes, the Harding spin is different... which is why I said to look at the 3rd clip in which the skater does have their back parallel to the ground). As for the head tilting back, that's just a matter of choreography... as you can see Yu-Na also tilts her head back and drops her shoulders at times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Camel_yuna1.jpg . It is a layover camel spin... the camel variation comes from the fact that a camel spin, by definition, is a spin in which the free leg is extended backwards with the knee above hip-level... perhaps the layover part makes it feel more like a layback variation. There is such minute difference between Zhang and Asada's spin and the picture of Yu-Na's spin that you could hardly call them a different type of spin... it would be like differentiating between Biellman spins by how big the arch of the back is or if the head is tilted up towards the ceiling or straight forward.

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
I get the impression from reading your past posts that you wouldn't like anything Mao wears. Or does. Or says. But, back to your question, I actually think she looks quite nice in it.

That is right. and I am really sick of it. They have been trying to criticize Mao and Rachael or anyother skaters that could be better than Yuna from left to right and no matter anyone says positive about other skaters(especially Mao), they never accept it. Mao's costume is ugly and the last year was better. Her music is no good, Impromptu was better ....... Tatiana is not good........Her jumps are cheated........ blah blah blah....
Yuna's 3-3 is the best in the world.(She can still cheat them, though) I do not think no one can deny that. But she is not that fast skater (defeinitley not like Kostner) She is not that artistic. She looked artistic because of the choice of music such as Danse Macarbre or Shahrnazadeh. But this year's program is really really boring. She does not have a good skill to interpret contemporary music. Defenitely, she is not the world class spinner at all. Her spiral and spin position is really midiocre. She controls edges well, but there is nothing spectacular about it. She is beautiful but just like any other skaters out there. I can tell that she does have a good use of make up like eyeliner just like many other skaters do. Her dress is wonderful, but not that special. Yu-na is not all rounded skater at all. I understand that Yu-na fans (and many other skater fans as well) can be so blind, but it is getting toooooooo much.
Please anyone let me know the practice report.