Interview with Irina | Golden Skate

Interview with Irina

Thanks, Red Dog. Irina's a fighter, but I hope she paces herself during her recovery period. Like she says, there is plenty of time before russian Nationals, Europeans and Worlds.

Mathman

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
This was a nice interview, but it does leave so many questions about her condition unanswered. I would love to see her come roaring back as Michelle did last year. It could make for an epic Worlds! Whatever happens, I'd like to see Irina have one last season where she is skating to or at least near her potential. Last year was not the Irina we are accustomed to seeing. She, like Michelle, has a fire for this sport that is only commendable.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
This was a nice interview, but it does leave so many questions about her condition unanswered. I would love to see her come roaring back as Michelle did last year. It could make for an epic Worlds! Whatever happens, I'd like to see Irina have one last season where she is skating to or at least near her potential. Last year was not the Irina we are accustomed to seeing. She, like Michelle, has a fire for this sport that is only commendable.

ITA! That was a wonderful interview. Thanks for sharing! :D

windspirit

On the Ice
There may have been a link to this interview in one of older posts, but I didn't have time then to read it (if it was it), so thanks. :)

I'm glad she's OK now, and that's she coming back. That is, not retiring. If skaters have to retire, at least they could do us a favor and not do it "in packs."

Fossi

Final Flight
Irina's skating last season wasn't much different from her skating from previous seasons. She just wasn't held up as much as in the past. Has she ever skated a 7 triple program? She rarely lands a 3/3, and her jumps aren't as consistent as she has been given credit for. Last season, the judges weren't as "easy" on her as they've been in the past. When she was outskated, they took notice, and she wasn't held up as she was in the past.
I hope she gets better though. I'd love to see her "healthy" again and skating strong.

Like everyone else, I add my Good Wishes to Irina, and agree that with proper health guides she'll be back in competitions. The Grand Prix can easily be skipped in favor of Nats, Euros, and Worlds where she will still be a top contender.

And thank Red Dog for the link.

Joe

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Fossi,

I'll have to disagree and say that Irina's skating last year was vastly different when compared to years past. She seemed slow and distracted and quite uncomfortable with her programs last season. She was obviously undertrained and not ready. This is far different than what she did in 2000 and 2001. She was solid both seasons in the early Grand Prix events, particularly the 2001 Goodwill Games where she skated two of her best performances. I will agree that, at times, Irina has been held up. The 2002 Grand Prix Final is the best example I can think of. But there have been plenty of times where she clearly outskated her competitors and earned her victories. For instance, she gave strong performances at the 2000 Skate Canada and the 2001 Grand Prix Final and deserved to win those events. There are countless others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Bronzes, ITA. The reason Irina often lost last year was because she wasn't in her usual form.

Yes, Irina was not at her best last year, probably for health and maternal reasons, but she did do a nice job in that end-of-season competition to make me feel good for her again. I don't think her best skating is behind her.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Irina

I would like to see Irina make a strong comeback, but I hope she does whatever she feels is right. Per the interview she clearly wants to skate, but she did indicate some ambivalent feelings.

Irina has never been my favorite performer, but I've always respected her ability ever since her 2000 reinvention. In top form she's a strong jumper and her edges, speed and stroking are superb. From the skate down she's one of the best in the business.

euterpe

Medalist
I agree that Irina was not her usual self last season. Early on, she was doubling jumps, something she rarely if ever did in previous seasons. We didn't see a flash of the old Irina until the Hallmark competition, in mid-December, when she used one of her old exhibition programs. But she never did seem to develop any comfort with the "La Traviata" FS.

Yes, she does sound ambivalent, at least about the early-season GP competitions. She most probably feels not ready, not prepared enough. She clearly loves skating, but I am not sure that means she will continue to compete as an eligible. I am sure that if she wanted to skate professionally, she'd have no trouble getting offers to sign on to a pro tour. She sounds as if she is weighing her options, and right now, she is focusing on continuing to compete for this season, at least.

I think a condition of 'post traumatic olympics' does exist. I saw it in MK after Nagano and Irina after SLC. Both those skaters were the odds on favorites for Nagano (MK) and SLC (IS) but it didn't happen.

It took time for MK to snap out of it, but she did. I think Irina will too.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I have to disagree with you, Joe. Kwan's post-trauma was emotional, while Irina's problem is more physical in nature. She has had chronic illness pretty much since the summer of '02, and the illness not only persisted, but worsened, and the poor skating conditions in Russia have had a deleterious effect on her health. Then there are her worries over her mother's very serious illness.

Kwan's turnaround was a walk in the park compared with what Irina is facing.