Joubert - I'm a boy not a man. | Golden Skate

Joubert - I'm a boy not a man.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Maybe Joubert will pull out a yellow Burmese python right in the middle of his long program at Worlds (if he goes, that is).

amateur

Final Flight
This has been quite the humbing experience for Brian. Always been indifferent to his skating, but I really feel for the guy. The French federation guy should give him some space, let him pass thorugh this with dignity and let him come to his own conclusions and decisions. They don't own him! The finger-pointing and airing of dirty laundry is really in poor taste.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Personally, what surprises me the most is that he will continue competing. Not much has gone his way since 2005-6 season and with all the injuries as of late, i can't image that he enjoys skating anymore. His chances of medaling again at worlds are slim and even if he got a bronze due to a weak field, that won't be enough for him, a guy who wants to win or nothing.

BigJohn

On the Ice
This has been quite the humbing experience for Brian. Always been indifferent to his skating, but I really feel for the guy. The French federation guy should give him some space, let him pass thorugh this with dignity and let him come to his own conclusions and decisions. They don't own him! The finger-pointing and airing of dirty laundry is really in poor taste.

Who knows what deal he made with Gailhaguet...

edge31

Rinkside
Interesting article......... something I've noticed in Europe in general is the way the federations are arranged and the choices and options that the skaters have. Many federations DO have a chokehold on their skaters and if you fall out of favor, it's over. If you are IN favor you hardly have to do anything!
Many skaters do in fact go abroad to train and find that they don't have the work ethic to make it in north america (at least). they are told to get it together or go home.
I don't think the french fed said anything out of place. They are general comments about Brian's choices... nothing personal as it were.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Briannn. You make me sad, get your confidence back and be happy, ok? Go win worlds and then everyone will shut up :agree:

Bennett

Record Breaker
"I'm a boy not a man"
This may not be totally a misquotation of his words if he said what is cited in the article (i.e., "I want to... look to the future and change my attitude from being a boy to a man"), but I find the title rather insensitive, making him sound more helpless than the original quote.

"I'm not the same person any more. I'm not myself."

By "I'm not the same person any more," I guess he is saying that he has changed, but what does he mean by "I'm not myself"??? Is it the translation that gets lost or is it because of his English not being his primary language?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I felt so sorry for Brian on Thursday, he came out onto the ice like a pugilist ready to fight, fist pumping & doing jumps left & right, then came his unfortunate skate.

The odd thing, for me personally, was all last week I was fixated on Brian's attitude at the 2010 European Championships. I recall someone posted a photo right after the competition of him staring at Evgeni Plushenko on the medal stand (he looked mad, but some said he was sad). So I wanted to know the meaning behind it weeks later, in preparation for the Mens Final on Thursday, thus I went looking on youtube for any video coverage of the ceremony & press conference afterwards.

What I found was a revelation. Brian didn't attend the press conference until Evgeni Plushenko commented to one of the reporters about "a French spy" (with his good friend Stephane Lambiel sitting beside him looking up at him & chuckling along with Evgeni). That's when Brian came out all hostile like looking directly at Evgeni while he took his place beside him (Stephane immediately picked up on this; as when Brian came out Stephane stopped smiling & instead followed him with the sides of his eyes; uncomfortable to say the least). And it was obvious that Evgeni felt Brian's hostility & stares. Finally, Evgeni said "thank you" to the audience & got up to leave, and Brian was the only one that didn't clap.

And this attitude pervaded the awards ceremony as well. My gosh, Brian's look of hostility towards Evgeni even made Evgeni uncomfortable. That one stare said so much & conveyed the world.

In my humble opinion Brian's focus on Evgeni, and beating him, was & is his downfall. He has to focus on himself, only himself, and his skate. Don't be intimidated by mind games, or whom he's competing against.

Skate for yourself, or don't skate at all, Brian! Do it because you love it, or just leave.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm really hoping that Brian and/or Tomas (preferrably both) pull a Miki Ando and come back next year super fit, confident, and competitive and do great at Worlds (and the competitions leading up to it), show the Olympic results were a fluke. You can do it guys!

bladesoflori

Rinkside
I'm kinda indifferent about him,too, but I have to say I felt bad for the guy. Most who had bad SPs were able to redeem themselves in the long, but nobody wants two bombs at the Olympics. I'm glad he's not retiring with such a bad memory.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just used the title of the article.
Can you guys use quotation marks in the title when you cite an article that has rather a misleading title like that? I was going to say this yesterday posting to the "Skater X's arrogance has no boundaries" thread that was deleted.