An important lesson for skaters, know the rules. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

An important lesson for skaters, know the rules.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
Totally agree, Scott Hamilton called him a cack (don't know what that means) but most of his jumps were downright scary looking. His quad-triple was so leaning in the air, it was not a thing of beauty, I've seen better ones by Verner and Schultheiss. I don't know why he's complaining about silver, I thought he deserved bronze at best. Evan is not my favorite skater but his jumps were smooth and steady and even though he is a bit boring, he is artistic compared to Plushenko.

He called him a "cat". :p Because no matter how far off his jumps are in the air, he manages to land on his skates.

nastasi1212

Rinkside
Your arguments seem to amount to Plushenko being unbeatable no matter what he does on the ice and the other skaters shouldn't even have bothered showing up.

Maybe Plushenko's fans should just set up up a competition where he goes out and skates alone and it's one big love fest whether he trips all over himself or not.

I guess the problem of the rest is that he almost never trips all over himself, like the likes of Chan and Abbott did when pressured by high competition...

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hah! Bring him on. I'll throw my Iron Lotus at him (base value, 25.6 points) :)

you can do Iron Lotus? wow + 33 Goe= 58.6:biggrin:
Thanx for message it helped a lot. After the calm of the shock,next stage in my mind I was blaming Mishin and his bad design of a program who burried the skater, now I blame none cause maybe Plushy could not do more, he is not as in 2002, he has knee problems, he was nervous, didnt have the skate of his life, he was more human than the robot he is accussed of, voila... he is a grandpa after all. ;) i love him anyway when he skates despite his flaws.:)

Nevertheless some marks were a joke, like Kozuka and Weir. Imagine smaller margins on them also to decide medals and them losing it by such bad scoring. Weir had the skate of his life. And edge calls were kept selectively privelege for some. Looks like technical has now the power over judges. That is sort of upseting unless you decide to watch competitions as galas from now on. That was a good advice someone gave me, I ll try that.

Mafke

Medalist
now I blame none cause maybe Plushy could not do more, he is not as in 2002

That's it I think. He's one of the all time greats but his technical peak was about 2001--04 and hasn't ever quite gotten back to that plateau. That's normal, pushing the jump limits is a young skater's game. One problem he had taking time off was that the sport evolved in different directions than he expected or wanted. Although quads are less important than they once were the technical limits have been pushed in spins and footwork. Even the best spins and footwork from 2004 wouldn't be competitive today and performing Lysacek's jump layout at the same time as level four spins and footwork is an amazing athletic feat that no one before 2004 could do.

IF he still wants to compete I'd say his spins and footwork need drastic overhauls (and he'd need to get more jumps into the 2nd half of the program).

Final weird thoguht: His Vancouver LP would have easily won him the gold in 2006 and his 2006 lp would have easily won in Vancouver.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Takahashi's quad looked more like a statement to me. His practice reports were simply terrible and very few coaches would have recommended using that. But he never said that he'd decide depending on his condition, but it was more like he would go for it no matter what. He even said that he would hope something bigger than human or something would help him. I do think that Evan made a more reasonable decision in terms of winning the game. Takahashi had said that he didn't want to regret. Then perhaps it's easier to do and fall than not do? But I wonder if he hadn't regetted it if he had lost to the shaky performance by Steph, ending up being off the podium because of the quad attempt.