Cohen not retiring? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cohen not retiring?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Your opinion is obviously colored by dislike. Obviously Sasha's age is against her but there are too many older athletes excelling these days to be so pessimistic.

I don't think Nationals was a full gauge of what she can do. She didn't allow any margin of error in scheduling her return to training, and unfortunately injuries ate up some of that precious time. Her practice and SP showed that she was in very competitive shape with the ability to do high-scoring programs. Hopefully she learned that she needs to allow more time in case something goes wrong.

Personally, I'd love to see her give it one more season since she got so close to a full comeback. It would be nice to leave on a higher note. But there is a lot of sacrifice involved. (Like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And a life.) And she can see that Mirai (to say nothing of Mao and Yu Na) is not going to hand her any easy victory. It's a tough call because she's made it clear that in spite of all the difficulties she loves the thrill of training and competing. I hope she reaches the decision that's right for her.

Sasha never could do much technically though, never had a good 3-3, could never get much height in her jumps, most of the time didn't do 3 jump combinations, never delivered a clean LP etc. It's like when people say if Alissa landed her jumps she'd be unbeatable; that's not actually true. If Alissa landed her jumps and had a more difficult jump layout with 3-3s, bigger and stronger jumps, and more speed, then yes, she would be tough to beat. But Alissa with the current jumps she can do, even if she did go clean, would not be anywhere close to catching Yuna. Sasha is the same way. When she was competing, she could do well because most ladies weren't doing 3-3s. Sasha's spins and PCS can compensate a bit, but where she has always been pretty lacking on the technical side of things, I don't think she can really be competitive with the top at this point. Yuna is just as artistic as her, but has better speed, more difficult programs, and gets huge GOE.

I don't see her beating Mao or Yu Na either, and didn't mean to imply that. But IMO she should be able to beat Rachael with her vastly superior spins, spirals and artistry. Medalling at Nationals is certainly doable if she's in good shape. Beyond that I'm not wildly optimistic but you never know. After all, at the moment there's really only one top lady who does 3-3s on a regular basis without getting downgraded. For all the talk about 3-3s, not too many materialize!

Also, it's a bit exaggerated to say Sasha never had much technically. She exploited COP thoroughly and made the podium in, I think, 21 straight international competitions. You don't do that with two good elements. If you compare her to the top five or so of today, OK, but your statement about the past is not accurate.

Last edited:
I don't see her beating Mao or Yu Na either, and didn't mean to imply that. But IMO she should be able to beat Rachael with her vastly superior spins, spirals and artistry. Medalling at Nationals is certainly doable if she's in good shape. Beyond that I'm not wildly optimistic but you never know. After all, at the moment there's really only one top lady who does 3-3s on a regular basis without getting downgraded. For all the talk about 3-3s, not too many materialize!

R.D.

Record Breaker
BOTTOM LINE

Cohen is a 2004-2006 era skater. What she did then was good enough for multiple world medals and OLY silver. She was usually one fall away from Gold but what can you do.

The 2010 era skaters- Mirai, Rachel...and internationally, Yuna, Mao...are doing much more difficult stuff. Kim's or Asada's performances I bet would have won any Worlds or Olys between 2003 and 2006 by a landslide. Different times. Different skaters (at least at the top).

So what am I getting at? Cohen tried. She went with a 2005-2006 layout but it wasn't enough in 2010.

I wouldn't tell her to retire but clearly, the evidence is there- her time has passed.

Honestly, RD, your obsession with issuing decrees on Sasha exceeds my desire to argue about her. So believe what you want. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to her and time will tell. I don't really go in for telling skaters what to do.

(Although I admit I came very close with Carolina Kostner.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh man, as for Kostner...I just hope she gets the help and guidance she needs at this point. But once a headcase, always one. Sort of like an extreme version of Czisny :eek:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Honestly, RD, your obsession with issuing decrees on Sasha exceeds my desire to argue about her. So believe what you want. As far as I'm concerned, it's up to her and time will tell. I don't really go in for telling skaters what to do.

(Although I admit I came very close with Carolina Kostner.)

:) :)

And yet Silverlake is so high on Caro - and her record never was and never will come close to Sasha's.

Just wondering - if all skaters who can't beat Yuna at the moment retired - which is what SL seems to be implying - who would be left for us to watch skate and compete? :rolleye: :)

Fumie may retire - but I think it would be interesting if she was able to continue. Same with Julia, Joannie, and Sasha. I think these Ladies bring something different to the ice and I still enjoy watching them skate.

Another skater I was wondering about is Kimmie. Is she going to continue or has her knee injury ended her competitive career?

I really don't get why people who call themselves skating fans are so anxious for skaters to retire?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Caro has speed, big jumps, and difficult combinations - THAT is what sets her apart from Sasha. Yes, she is a huge headcase but she can do 3f-3t and 2a-3t beautifully and these jumps are strong and powerful, plus her speed is superior even to Yuna.

I just feel like Sasha, gets an A+ in spirals/flexibility, an A in presentation, a B in spins (her bielman is ugly and Czisny, Nagasu, Asada have much better spins than her IMO), a C in competition consistency (never a clean LP) and, um, a C- in jumps. She is not the full package, and that is why I am not a fan. After watching someone like Yuna jump her huge 3lz-3t, Caro's super fast 3f-3t, Mao's 3a-2t with perfect leg position, Miki's sick nasty 3lz-3lo, or even Mirai's 2a-3t with such great flow coming out of it, Sasha's 3flutz-2t that's an inch off the ground looks second rate in comparison. She would have been better off doing pairs or dance. I just really can't come to like a skater who can't jump, and I mean really jump, and Sasha was never a great jumper. Plus her attitude bugs me, she always seems stuck up.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Caro has speed, big jumps, and difficult combinations - THAT is what sets her apart from Sasha. Yes, she is a huge headcase but she can do 3f-3t and 2a-3t beautifully and these jumps are strong and powerful, plus her speed is superior even to Yuna.

I just feel like Sasha, gets an A+ in spirals/flexibility, an A in presentation, a B in spins (her bielman is ugly and Czisny, Nagasu, Asada have much better spins than her IMO), a C in competition consistency (never a clean LP) and, um, a C- in jumps. She is not the full package, and that is why I am not a fan. After watching someone like Yuna jump her huge 3lz-3t, Caro's super fast 3f-3t, Mao's 3a-2t with perfect leg position, Miki's sick nasty 3lz-3lo, or even Mirai's 2a-3t with such great flow coming out of it, Sasha's 3flutz-2t that's an inch off the ground looks second rate in comparison.

We all have our own favorites and that is fine. You are wrong about Sasha's jumps never leaving the ground. She attacks her jumps at a decent speed and rarley pops or puts a hand down like Caro does on like what - half her jumps? I like Caro and don't know if she will retire after this season. But because I am sure Caro can't beat Yuna doesn't mean I think she should retire.

Who knows what motivates these skaters and why some retire (aside from injuries) before they really have to.

You may be right about Sasha's future prospects but your opinion about her skating sounds fishy to me. Sasha won way too many medals for your words to more than a non-fans disgruntled opinion. Or else Sasha was lucky when she made 21 podiums in a row. Her World and Olympic medals are in the record book. Your opinions do not reflect what the records show as a pretty successful skating career.

I don't care if Sasha retires or not and hope she does what is best for her. If she continues I think many fans will be happy. You might not but if Sasha is as bad as you claim your favorites should have nothing to worry about. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, there's nothing to worry about. But I do have hopes for Mirai going forward. I hope she can take that extra step that is needed to contend with the best in the world.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, there's nothing to worry about. But I do have hopes for Mirai going forward. I hope she can take that extra step that is needed to contend with the best in the world.

I think Mirai has already taken that step - as coming in 4th at the Olympics at age 16 is not too shabby.

I think Carroll has been very good for her and Evan too. I mention Evan because it seems like Mirai mentioned him in many of her interviews this year.

By next season Mirai may have a 3x3 working (3Lz+3T ) along with her 2A+3T. That is what Yuna was doing this season. I also noticed how Mirai does a spread eagle into a 2A and something Yuna does not do - an Ina Bauer into a 3Loop.

If she keeps progressing her TES is going to keep going up. And I think her pcs will also go up next season. Dick Button said Mirai has the talent to become a World Champion and Orser also took notice of Mirai in Vancouver and said very complimentary things about her.

I think Mirai is the one and it will be nice having a world class Lady to support in the next few years leading into Sochi.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
BOTTOM LINE

Cohen is a 2004-2006 era skater. What she did then was good enough for multiple world medals and OLY silver. She was usually one fall away from Gold but what can you do.

So what am I getting at? Cohen tried. She went with a 2005-2006 layout but it wasn't enough in 2010.

I wouldn't tell her to retire but clearly, the evidence is there- her time has passed.

I agree. Sasha came back in 2010 and did the same old things she did in 2006 and earlier. And big suprise, it didn't work out. I was watching a Shaun White interview during the Olympics, he said his gold medal winning routine from Torino would have probably only gotten him to the finals in Vancouver, if even that far. The same can be said about figure skating. Her time has come and gone, her competitive days are over. Either get with the current game or move on. Figure skating has changed, Sasha Cohen has not.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Mirai has already taken that step - as coming in 4th at the Olympics at age 16 is not too shabby.

I think Carroll has been very good for her and Evan too. I mention Evan because it seems like Mirai mentioned him in many of her interviews this year.

By next season Mirai may have a 3x3 working (3Lz+3T ) along with her 2A+3T. That is what Yuna was doing this season. I also noticed how Mirai does a spread eagle into a 2A and something Yuna does not do - an Ina Bauer into a 3Loop.

If she keeps progressing her TES is going to keep going up. And I think her pcs will also go up next season. Dick Button said Mirai has the talent to become a World Champion and Orser also took notice of Mirai in Vancouver and said very complimentary things about her.

I think Mirai is the one and it will be nice having a world class Lady to support in the next few years leading into Sochi.

I agree, Mirai is great :agree:! She has grown up and improved so much recently, both mentally and physically, she is now strong and powerful in body and mind. I'm sure she will only continue to get better. I also have high hopes for Christina Gao, I know a lot of people don't see much in her now, but I think she has a lot of potential and good qualities that will help her go far. Zawadzki looks promising too, although her height might reek havoc on her consistency, she's 5'6" at age 15, meaning she could be 5'7" or 5'8" when she's done growing, and judging from Carolina, Cynthia, and Alexe, being tall seems to have some disadvantages when it comes to landing jumps when it counts. Kiri has some nice qualities but if she doesn't get more technical difficulty and consistency soon I think she'll turn out like Alissa, or Sasha if she was competing in the 2010 world.

Layfan

Record Breaker

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Alissa + Sasha = splatfest on ice :laugh:

They're pretty though, and the flexibility will be insane :love:. I really wonder why either of them never tried pairs or ice dance.....considering their jumping issues you think they would have.

Yes, Sasha is tiny enough for pairs. Alissa did pass all her dance tests, she should go into that route.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alissa + Sasha = splatfest on ice :laugh:

:laugh: That's mean......but true.

Still, I look forward to what all the hoopla is about. I see it in a week. Maybe it'll be a routine with no jumps...after all, they don't need to do them :indiff:

Last edited:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
:laugh: That's mean......but true.

Still, I look forward to what all the hoopla is about. I see it in a week. Maybe it'll be a routine with no jumps...after all, they don't need to do them :indiff:

sasha nails her jumps in practice. they both are nervous competitors, thats all. they don't needd to jump much to mesmerize me, tho.:love: