Cohen not retiring? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cohen not retiring?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Mao Asada with THREE FREAKING TRIPLE AXELS couldn't beat Yuna, I don't know who can. Honestly.

:laugh: Well, Mao had a few mistakes, but even if she had gone clean, Yuna would have still won by a landslide. I'm thinking maybe some of the Russian wonder babies potentially could beat Yuna if they survive puberty? I mean, Adelina Sotnikova won the Russian title at the age of 12 and last year Polina Shelepen was rattling off 3f-3t-2lo like it was a piece of cake. Liza is now working on triple axels :love:.They can get undeserved PCS like Plushenko and then all the technical difficulty could make it possible.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd imagine Russia is quickly in search of Slutskaya II, especially after what happened in Vancouver. I fully expect a Russian girl to be in the mix come Sochi.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
We probably will have three spots for Worlds next year and if Racheal goes off to college that might be just the motivator Sasha needs to skip SOI and start training.

rtureck

Final Flight
If Sasha stays with competitive skating, I doubt she will get the enormous hype she got during her pre Grand Prix, Nationals days this past season. She'll just be another name on the list of entrants. Will she be skating to renew the hype? That is the question.
Getting enormous hype has proven to be enornous pressure for most skaters. Some skaters live up to the hype, e.g. Tara, MK etc, some are unable to live up to the hype. I think having less hype will work to her advantage. But if Sasha wants to continue competitive skating, she should really make a committment to "compete", not just show up at nationals in the oly year. I think Sasha staying competitive is good for the young skaters. Every new athlete should have the experience of actually beating the famous ones of former generations. I think Rachel, Mirari's, and Wagner's win at nationals were more meaningful because they beat Sasha to win the gold ,silver, and bronze

^^^^^
and when one thinks of it, how much better was Sasha then Alissa, and Caroline both of whom had bad days and both of whom will not want to repeat those days.

Sasha has a huge fandom but her best competitive days are behind her. jmo.

When I think how much NBC wanted her in the mix for ratings, and she didn't make the mix, I think thats when the NBC/UniSport decided no prime time for Ladies. No?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
We probably will have three spots for Worlds next year and if Racheal goes off to college that might be just the motivator Sasha needs to skip SOI and start training.

Please, Sasha got a FS score of 104 at NATIONALS, Christina Gao would have beaten her in that portion of the FS had she been clean. Sasha's time has come and gone, it's time for someone else to shine. Kiri Baga reminds me a lot of a mini-Sasha, except with bigger jumps.

And the Russians can't be counted out, most of those little girls train about 40 hours a week! With that much skating they might not end up gaining a lot of weight during puberty anyway - I mean, those girls are INTENSE. They want to be the next Irina badly and are well on their way at the tender ages of 13.

John King

Final Flight
I love Sasha, but being off the ice for 3 years and having to bow out of three competitions due to injury, honey, quit while you're near the top.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I get the impression that Sasha doesn’t really know what she wants to do with her life after skating. I am in the minority here, but I get the same impression from Michelle.

No insult or bashing is intended here, but when a skater is asked what he / she wants to do after skating, none of them ever say they want to lay brick. They rarely come up with a “normal” job that most people do. It’s always fashion, entertainment, acting, commentary, politics, coaching, etc. It’s rarely what we would consider a “normal” job.

There are exceptions of course. Some skaters have gone into engineering, medicine and other more mundane fields.

Bennett

Record Breaker
SOI seems to be a good one. I do not think that she has a huge market in Asia.

Acting does not seem to have worked for her.

Competitive skating.... Placing off the podium at the Olympics is not too bad. Not making the Olympics after trying is also not too bad.

But placing off the podium at Worlds, or not even being able to make the Worlds team.... these seem like too big sacrifice for someone who can have a successful life in pro skating.

The same goes for Fumie, but these two seem very different ppl.

Layfan

Record Breaker
SOI seems to be a good one. I do not think that she has a huge market in Asia.

Acting does not seem to have worked for her.

Competitive skating.... Placing off the podium at the Olympics is not too bad. Not making the Olympics after trying is also not too bad.

But placing off the podium at Worlds, or not even being able to make the Worlds team.... these seem like too big sacrifice for someone who can have a successful life in pro skating.

The same goes for Fumie, but these two seem very different ppl.

I like her fashion like idea. She should go to fashion school and then start a skating costume line. She's great at it. She could do that keep skating in shows for a long time. I would looooove to see more Sasha style costumes on the ladies.

I think Sasha can't bring herself to make the plunge and say, yes, I'm retired. Michelle couldn't either for a long time. But she did go to college/grad school and lay down the groundwork for a great future.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I like her fashion like idea. She should go to fashion school and then start a skating costume line. She's great at it. She could do that keep skating in shows for a long time. I would looooove to see more Sasha style costumes on the ladies.

I think Sasha can't bring herself to make the plunge and say, yes, I'm retired. Michelle couldn't either for a long time. But she did go to college/grad school and lay down the groundwork for a great future.

I once mentioned here that Michelle was retired - and got jumped on by a few of the Kween's fans. :)
Talk about dragging it out - I still don't think Michelle has ever "officially retired."

Enero

On the Ice
Layfan said:
I like her fashion like idea. She should go to fashion school and then start a skating costume line. She's great at it. She could do that keep skating in shows for a long time. I would looooove to see more Sasha style costumes on the ladies

I like this idea as well. Her skating experience (and name) will certainly give her an edge when it comes to designing and selling fashions to the current and future crop of skaters.

I once mentioned here that Michelle was retired - and got jumped on by a few of the Kween's fans. :)
Talk about dragging it out - I still don't think Michelle has ever "officially retired."

No she hasn't. LOL. I guess she always leaving the door open for a potential comeback. ;)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, if both Sasha and Michelle can decide to be satisfied with their impressive competitive records and the legacy of their gorgeous skating, I think they would both be wonderful people to have in the skating world as elder stateswomen. Sasha brings a lot to professional skating and she might even make a good commentator someday. She's certainly well spoken and a good interview.
Everyone would crave her insight and Michelle's even more. But to be effective at something like this, they must both stop thinking of the current crop of skaters as potential competitors.
I doubt Sasha will be back on the competitive stage next year. If she is, I'll root for her as always but I think she has a lot to contribute to the skating world besides competing.

MKFSfan

Medalist

Sarah Hughes hasn't "officially retired" either. So what?

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
She was my favorite skater for years, but in my eyes, she's done. If she couldn't get past the current American skaters at nationals who haven't done well at the international level, there's no way she'd stand a chance against Kim, Asada, Ando, Rochette, etc.
She was good in her time, one of the best, but she's passed her prime.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwan never "officially" put her foot down and say, "I'm DONE", although we all know she is.

Cohen is now doing the same thing. She'll vaguely talk about it without committing one way or the other, but clearly time has run out for her. Besides, I don't even think the reporters are going about it the right way. Has even ONE reporter went up to her and said "So I assume you're done with competitive skating now" rather than, "So what do you think you'll do next?" The former way is more direct, whereas the latter allows for more "wiggle room" and "time to think".

...in my eyes, she's done. If she couldn't get past the current American skaters at nationals who haven't done well at the international level...

Yes; however, I think she could have and would have skated better than she did with more recent comps under her belt. (She really waited too long to do this.) That said, I look at how Plushenko's comeback turned out, and how the ladies' comp at the Olys turned out- I take it she'd have been in the lower half of the top 10.

Last edited:

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I have never been a fan of Sasha--something about her attitude I've never liked, she always seemed so arrogant and thought she was better than what she was. I wish she would just retire already and go away! Her comeback just proved she was the same old Sasha, excellent in the sp and completely falls apart in the lp. I don't think she took her comeback seriously, if she did, she would not have waited so long to start training. She needs to change her mindset from just showing up at the arena to getting out on the ice and attacking the program. If she really does comeback for the new season, I will be suprised-she only came back for a chance to get on the Olympic team (if she didn't, then why not comback in 2008, 2009 or 2011?).

If Sasha couldn't have gotten past Rachel, Mirai and Ashley at their best--then there is no way she will be able to beat Yuna, Mao, and the new generation of skaters we always see in the post Olympic season. Sasha is waaaayyyy past her prime/peak. Competitively, this girl is done.

I have never been a fan of Sasha--something about her attitude I've never liked, she always seemed so arrogant and thought she was better than what she was. I wish she would just retire already and go away! ...

If Sasha couldn't have gotten past Rachel, Mirai and Ashley at their best--then there is no way she will be able to beat Yuna, Mao, and the new generation of skaters we always see in the post Olympic season. Sasha is waaaayyyy past her prime/peak. Competitively, this girl is done.
Your opinion is obviously colored by dislike. Obviously Sasha's age is against her but there are too many older athletes excelling these days to be so pessimistic.

I don't think Nationals was a full gauge of what she can do. She didn't allow any margin of error in scheduling her return to training, and unfortunately injuries ate up some of that precious time. Her practice and SP showed that she was in very competitive shape with the ability to do high-scoring programs. Hopefully she learned that she needs to allow more time in case something goes wrong.

Personally, I'd love to see her give it one more season since she got so close to a full comeback. It would be nice to leave on a higher note. But there is a lot of sacrifice involved. (Like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And a life.) And she can see that Mirai (to say nothing of Mao and Yu Na) is not going to hand her any easy victory. It's a tough call because she's made it clear that in spite of all the difficulties she loves the thrill of training and competing. I hope she reaches the decision that's right for her.