Cohen not retiring? | Golden Skate

Cohen not retiring?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am very surprised by this. I thought, like Plushenko the whole goals was about the Olympics. I would really love to see her comeback, but worry that next year she will be given none of the chances she was given at nationals. I think that International judges will not put her up on a pedestal (where she belongs) and dinge her on flutzing and maybe even downgrades. She has a lot of work to do, from what we saw at Nationals her stamina is nowhere where it needs to be and her jump consistency spoke for itself. Unlike many post-olympic years, I don't see I lot of retiring from the american ladies, all of them are still very young and have a lot to do in their careers. Alissa might retire, but Caroline might come back strong, and i can't see Sasha beating Mirai at Nationals if they are both clean. With Mirai now working in the 3/3 a lot, who knows what kind of scores she will be posting come next January.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She's past her prime, I don't think it's the best idea. I mean, if she was a guy, why not, they usually peak in their early to mid twenties, but for a woman, to come back at 25 will be hard. We've seen Suguri, Poykio, and Sebestyen struggle recently now that they are in their late twenties, and some female skaters seem to peak as young as 16. If she wants to give it a shot then go ahead, but if her eye is set on Sochi 2014 at age 29...I'd say forget it. Gao and Nagasu will be dominating skating in the US and internationally in a year or two I bet.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She's past her prime, I don't think it's the best idea. I mean, if she was a guy, why not, they usually peak in their early to mid twenties, but for a woman, to come back at 25 will be hard. We've seen Suguri, Poykio, and Sebestyen struggle recently now that they are in their late twenties, and some female skaters seem to peak as young as 16. If she wants to give it a shot then go ahead, but if her eye is set on Sochi 2014 at age 29...I'd say forget it. Gao and Nagasu will be dominating skating in the US and internationally in a year or two I bet.

I don't think she is really thinking about Olympic medals. I think that honestly she has struggled to find her path in life after skating. She was so dedicated and competitive to the sport, her 2005-06 season she was a superwoman making sure everything went perfectly. When it didn't I think she almost went into shock and just felt discouraged (come on who would not a little) and could not face another year of difficult training now that her dream was gone. I don't think she was fulfilled by any of the things she did between then and 2009 and so decided to come back to find that purpose in her life again. At least that is what I gather from her interviews. Sadly, that did not go as planned either. Right though, she still really only has skating. I think that she thinks she can be great again if she can keep reasonably healthy and needs to come back and get that satisfaction in her life again. I say if that is what she wants/needs go for it. We always need more beauty in the world.

tarotx

On the Ice
I miss pro skating competitions (the real ones before they added all those extra ones that resulted in none). That is what Sasha needs in her life. A reason to still train and improve her skills. Especially with SOI getting ever so small :(

Enero

On the Ice
I think this is great news.

I agree with Tiny. I think she's rediscovered her love for skating and realized what an important part it plays in her life. As a result, she's not quite ready to give it up competively.

I honestly think if she can put the proper training time in she can be competitive again, at least on the national level. She wasn't a wash out at Nationals. She was pretty strong in the SP, but struggled a lot in the long. I think she struggled because of not being fully prepared to compete for Nationals. She had not fully regained her stamina and her jumps still needed more work. Again if she can devote herself to training full-time again, I think she may have a shot at medaling at several competitions.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
It's hard to tell... I would love to see her skate another season, and Sasha definitely seems to express a rekindled love for skating in the interview; but, it does seem like it is more of a return to professional skating and not competitive. In another post-nationals interview shortly before this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuiubfiDPws&feature=related), she talks about trying acting again and possibly going to college and majoring in drama. Also her website's most recent update on the 16th says she is scheduled to return to touring with Stars on Ice again this Spring (sashacohen.com). Taking all of that into consideration as well, it seems like she will just return to skating professionally with a renewed love.

The one thing that could potentially change that (IMHO) would be Rachael or Mirai withdrawing from Worlds, Sasha filling in as an alternate and placing well (top 6 maybe). If that happened, it seems like it would be much more likely that she would stick around for the 2010-2011 season and actually compete in the GP series, etc. The US Ladies (well... girls, really) could definitely benefit from the experience and additional national rivalry Sasha could bring if she returned to competition.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I think this is great news.

I agree with Tiny. I think she's rediscovered her love for skating and realized what an important part it plays in her life. As a result, she's not quite ready to give it up competively.

My feelings exactly. That's what I also gather from her recent interviews.

I picked up figure skating only recently after having let it fall through my fingers after SLC. I missed quite a few years, but I had the great joy of stumbling upon Sasha Cohen, who I somehow missed out on in 2001 and 2002. It was amazing to go through the highlights of her competitive career in one sitting, and it left me yearning for more. She has so much to give to the sport -- in particular, the creativity and emotional intensity of the 6.0 system. The current crop of top skaters are lacking in numerous respects. I'll be glad to see her back full-time. Maybe she can teach Yu-na something about spins ;) (the only part of her skating I actually dislike).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The one thing that could potentially change that (IMHO) would be Rachael or Mirai withdrawing from Worlds, Sasha filling in as an alternate and placing well (top 6 maybe). If that happened, it seems like it would be much more likely that she would stick around for the 2010-2011 season and actually compete in the GP series, etc. The US Ladies (well... girls, really) could definitely benefit from the experience and additional national rivalry Sasha could bring if she returned to competition.

If Mirai or Rachael pulls out of Worlds (which I doubt they will), I think Ashley would be the first alternate and not Sasha, right? Ashley was 3rd at nats

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think she just wants to continue skating in shows. I don't really see the point of her continuing to compete especially given what happened at Nats, but if that's what she ultimately chooses to do, I won't stop her. I get the feeling she's not sure exactly what she wants to do yet, except continue skating in some capacity. Post #5 gets this point across pretty well. I think the old pro competitions would have been perfect for her.

If Nagasu can rotate her jumps and keep up her consistency, she'll be VERY hard to beat on the national level, and I think it will put her among the best in the world internationally.

However, for Cohen to go to worlds, both Flatt AND Nagasu would have to WD (or Wagner would have to be unable to go). I get the feeling she hasn't been training at the top level recently so who knows if she would even go if she was given the opportunity. Frankly I don't think her body can handle it.

I do think there is potential for Flatt/Nagasu to bring back 3 spots to the US, particularly if say Ando and Asada win OMs and opt out of Worlds.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Nagasu can rotate her jumps and keep up her consistency, she'll be VERY hard to beat on the national level, and I think it will put her among the best in the world internationally..

Don't forget Gao, that girl is skyrocketing! Great 3t-3t and the best 3f I've ever seen, plus Orser is her coach, and look what he's done with Adam and Yuna. She'll be dominating nationals and international events with Mirai soon. Also Agnes Zawadski is looking pretty good too.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Don't forget Gao, that girl is skyrocketing! Great 3t-3t and the best 3f I've ever seen, plus Order is her coach. She'll be dominating nationals and international events with Mirai soon. Also Agnes Zawadski is looking pretty good too.

Gao looked promising from what I saw at Nationals but IMO she still has aways to go until she can challenge for that top spot. I think it will take her at least two years. No idea who Agnes is. I think you mean Orser though. ;)

If Sasha stays with competitive skating, I doubt she will get the enormous hype she got during her pre Grand Prix, Nationals days this past season. She'll just be another name on the list of entrants. Will she be skating to renew the hype? That is the question.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
If Sasha stays with competitive skating, I doubt she will get the enormous hype she got during her pre Grand Prix, Nationals days this past season. She'll just be another name on the list of entrants. Will she be skating to renew the hype? That is the question.

I don't think she would put her body through the ringer for hype. I think she truly enjoys the sport, and perhaps if anything, I think she's still has not conquered her ability to perform at her best under pressure.

I hope she does continue in skating. She has alot to offer in my opinion. The ladies field is seriously lacking the kind of artistry that she has perfected.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gao looked promising from what I saw at Nationals but IMO she still has aways to go until she can challenge for that top spot. I think it will take her at least two years. No idea who Agnes is. I think you mean Orser though. ;)

Haha yeah Orser. Agnes Zawadski is the Jr. Champion. And for Gao, I think once she looks grown up, her skating will be taken more seriously. She looks a lot like Yuna Kim at 15, but Yuna grew up a lot between 15 and 16, and at 16 people knew she was the best she just had issues in the LP because of her back. I think Gao will probably be on the senior grand prix circuit next season so it will be interesting to see how she competes against the older ladies.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Sasha certainly has been quiet lately. Any news on if she is planning a comeback in next season?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If she wants to do well next season, she has to go to all the competitions and not withdraw like this past season. She can't expect to show up at Nationals and win or medal with not much competitive experience that season. I think she underestimated the quality of the current American ladies, and thought she might win easily.. but no.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sasha certainly has been quiet lately. Any news on if she is planning a comeback in next season?

I hope not, nationals showed she was seriously past her prime, a shadow of her former self. I felt the same way about Lambiel and Plushenko seeing them at the Olympics. I don't really think Sasha has much of a future in competitive skating, especially if Mao and Yuna continue to stick around which it looks like they will. I mean, Sasha couldn't even beat Ashley, Mirai, and Rachael at nationals so I don't know why she thinks she'll be able to stand a chance against Yuna.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She clearly didn't have a freeskate prepared. She was in good enough condition to deliver a respectable SP though.

If she delivered her usual "Cohen" freeskate performance instead of what she was able to muster that night, who knows where she might have landed. I figure she'd still have missed the team though just because Rachel and Mirai were that good. Then again, they could have given Nagasu another "suspect" DG to push Cohen onto the team in order to appease NBC, etc.

She's done, IMO, as far as competitive skating goes. I think she'll continue to perform in shows, though. Perhaps if a pro tour is started in Asia she could be a part of that. If I get to meet her again at SOI I should ask her what her plans are.

I mean, Sasha couldn't even beat Ashley, Mirai, and Rachael at nationals so I don't know why she thinks she'll be able to stand a chance against Yuna.

If Mao Asada with THREE FREAKING TRIPLE AXELS couldn't beat Yuna, I don't know who can. Honestly.

Last edited: