Too Bad Yags Did Not Return For Olympics Showdown | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Too Bad Yags Did Not Return For Olympics Showdown

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
I read from the news that Yagudin was in North Korea recently from 15th to 17th to attend a figure skating event. Kim jung-il is a big figure skating fan, and that event is to celebrate his birthday. :p

Bonsai

Rinkside
And if Yagudin had won over, say, Lysacek in a squeaker, no one from any country would have complained. He was one of those skaters who belongs to the world. That kind doesn't come along very often.
That's so true :agree: ! Sigh I miss him.
I also don't think for a moment that a win by Daisuke (with or without a quad?) would have sparked such a controversy. Alas it was not to be. Let's hope he can stay injury free and skate to his full potential :love:.

bladerunnerz

Spectator
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Yagudin had a degenerative bone disease that effected his hips and forced him out of competitive skating.

As far as I know he got a hip (hips?) replacement and is able to skate again in ice shows, but will probably never be able to skate at an elite level again.

A real tragedy though, such a great athlete and artist.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As far as I know he got a hip (hips?) replacement and is able to skate again in ice shows, but will probably never be able to skate at an elite level again.

A real tragedy though, such a great athlete and artist.
With a hip replacement not a good idea to do a lot of jumping and I would assume triples are out of the question and doubles but you know Alexei. Rudy Galindo has replacements in both hips and still skates. I think Rudy does single and double jumps.

stevlin

On the Ice
Didn't Yags have a knee replacement surgery? If he did, I would doubt he could make a comeback even if he wanted to.