Retirements | Golden Skate

Retirements

Audrey19

On the Ice
I thought we could start a thread where we collect who will stay and who will retire after the olys or after worlds.
Shen &Zhao have announced their retirement, but what about Pang &Tong?
Have Johnny or Jeremy made a decision, will Plush probably be at worlds?
Every confirmation of a retirement or continuation will be welcome!

yangjie

On the Ice
Takahashi will continue to skate untill the next worlds in tokyo.after that, he might retire.

oda said he would continue untill the next olympic, but i guess he will change his mind.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Evan will retire as will Tanith
and Ben who always said they would after these games. same goes for Domina and Shablin. I guess Julia Sebesyen will retire but who knows? Susanna Poykio and Carolina Koster as well. I think Miki might do worlds if she does not win here, but retire after that.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Kostner will stick around unless she medals at the Olympics. She's had a rough season and probably wants to end her career on a higher note, I think she's starting to gain momentum again too so I think we'll see more of her.

As for men, will Johnny and Jeremy retire? I know Ryan Bradley said he will, and Evan I assume will. What about Contesti (love him!) I didn't realize he was 27

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Kostner won't retire. she said that she plans to continue whatever happens in vancouver (to italian media)
Johnny I read somewhere that yes, he'll retire.

Trewyn

Medalist
Johnny, Evan, Belgosto; old news. What about Czisny (see the Czisny leaves coach thread). She didn't compete at the Olympics but since she'll be in SOI, I guess she won't compete next season. What about Jeremy? Does Yuka signing up with SOI mean that he won't compete next season?

What about Joubert? (my friends who were figure skating newbies and watched the Men's FS adored him!) He's 25... So I guess he could go on a few more years, but probably not until Socci.

Verner? He's doing Worlds, I guess; he's only 23; he could go on until Socci or at least stick around for a couple more years until he finally skates clean at a World Championship...

sillylionlove

Medalist
I was also wondering about Kavaguti and Sminov. She is rather old and became a Russian citizen so she could win and Olympic medal which didn't happen.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Johnny, Evan, Belgosto; old news. What about Czisny (see the Czisny leaves coach thread). She didn't compete at the Olympics but since she'll be in SOI, I guess she won't compete next season. What about Jeremy? Does Yuka signing up with SOI mean that he won't compete next season?

What about Joubert? (my friends who were figure skating newbies and watched the Men's FS adored him!) He's 25... So I guess he could go on a few more years, but probably not until Socci.

Verner? He's doing Worlds, I guess; he's only 23; he could go on until Socci or at least stick around for a couple more years until he finally skates clean at a World Championship...

Joubert will continue to compete until at least 2012 Worlds in Nice, France he said, so Sochi is not out of the question for him.

Verner said he will keep skating, which makes sense, Brezina is the only other good skater in the Czech Republic so Tomas can continue to go to international events and hopefully get his game back. As long as his and Brezina's placements at worlds this year add up to 28 or less they both get to go next year, which shouldn't be a problem. He got a really bad case of the flu this fall (likely swine b/c it was in November) and it kinda knocked out his season so I'm sure he'll want to end on a his career on a high note, maybe stick around for Sochi 2014 where his past two Olympics have been disappointments.

Czisny joined SOI and hasn't announced a new coach, so I'm guessing she will retire from competitive skating, but I'm not sure, I have heard she might still compete.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm not really a fan of Joubert, but I hope he can get himself together. His awful programs at this Olympics were heartbreaking.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Btw, anyone know what Vaughn Chipeur and Shawn Sawyer from Canada will do? They're both 25, but Shawn didn't make the Olympics (boo) and Vaughn skated poorly there. I haven't heard anything about either retiring though.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Jeremy Abbott most likely will not retire. Being a late bloomer, I would think he will continue for another Olympics, especially after how this one turned out. In Sochi he will be as old as Plushenko, so it's not too bad. Both Plushenko and Abbott will be at Worlds in Torino for redemption. I really don't believe Plushenko will stick around for Sochi though.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Correction: Jeremy Abbott & Evan Lysacek are the exact same age, only separated by one day, one is older than the other by 1 day. Anyhow, both are currently 24 yrs. old, so when Sochi rolls around Jeremy will be 28 yrs. old. Not the same age as King Plushenko at all.

And, yes, King Plushenko WILL be there!:rock:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Correction: Jeremy Abbott & Evan Lysacek are the exact same age, only separated by one day, one is older than the other by 1 day. Anyhow, both are currently 24 yrs. old, so when Sochi rolls around Jeremy will be 28 yrs. old. Not the same age as King Plushenko at all.

And, yes, King Plushenko WILL be there!:rock:

For guys it's different then girls. For a guy going to the Olympics at 28 is fine, guys peak generally in their mid twenties. For girls they peak earlier so 28 is a bit old. If Jeremy wants to stick around until the next Olympics I say go for it!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think Evan will retire as will Tanith
and Ben who always said they would after these games. same goes for Domina and Shablin. I guess Julia Sebesyen will retire but who knows? Susanna Poykio and Carolina Koster as well. I think Miki might do worlds if she does not win here, but retire after that.

Susanna apppeared on nat. tv's "sport screen" after the ladies' short as an expert, but she only commented other gilrls' skating and possibilities in free. Not a single word about her own career or the future. I think I still sensed a litlle bit of disappoitment not being in Vancouver herself.

Wicked

Final Flight
Have there been any official announcements of retirement, besides Shen & Zhao?

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm actually hoping Julia Sebestian doesn't retire, because if she doesn't & actually makes it to Sochi in 2014 at the advanced age of 31? I think she will have set a record. I honestly don't recall anybody competing at 5 Olympiads!?! Correct me if I'm wrong people. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm actually hoping Julia Sebestian doesn't retire, because if she doesn't & actually makes it to Sochi in 2014 at the advanced age of 31? I think she will have set a record. I honestly don't recall anybody competing at 5 Olympiads!?! Correct me if I'm wrong people. :)
Julia's already confirmed that this is her last season. After Europeans she was talking about how it felt to skate in her last Euros - she first went there in 1995. I hope she'll have a great showing at Worlds.

treshot

Rinkside
Yuna is going back to Toronto to prepare for the Worlds next month (in an unusual move for Olympics champion!). She said that she's been so focused on the Olympics to think about the future beyond it, and will think about what to do after the Worlds. I know that she had talked about retirement after the Olympics before, but that was back when she was suffering from horrendous back injury, and she has consistently said that her mindset has changed since she got healthy, so I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Miki has not said anything officially, but the rumor had it that she will retire after Vancouver, and I am actually starting to believe the rumor after reading and watching her interviews - she thanks everyone for support, and generally sounds like someone who has given it all. She was never my favorite skater, but I've come to admire her heart over years... I hope she stays, but if not, wish her the best of luck with everything else.

Mao, of course, already has set her heart for Sochi! :)

Does anyone have word on Joannie? She's not exactly young since ladies tend to peak very early, but I feel like she can go on since she is a late bloomer and has never been the type to depend heavily on her athleticism.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I assumed Joannie would retire, but maybe not? She's 24 so sticking around for another Olympics would be tough but if she found new strength in her skating because of her mother then I say go for it.

I'm not sure if Miki will retire or not. She just turned 22 a month or two ago and I feel like in Japan they stick around longer.

I had heard that Carolina was not going to retire but maybe she's changed her mind? It's too bad she struggles so much in competition, when she's on she's lovely. It might be nice if she stuck around for a few more years and tried to have more consistent performances.