Will the Ladies figure skating be a repeat of 2006? Is Yu-Na really unbeatable? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will the Ladies figure skating be a repeat of 2006? Is Yu-Na really unbeatable?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yu Na can win with 5 triple programs because she does a 3-3 in the short. That, plus her PCS make her pretty much unbeatable unless she makes multiple mistakes. The unknown factor, however, is how she handles the pressure. The Olympics tend to cause great skaters to become merely good. Few skaters can point to their Olympic performances as their all-time best (Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski excepted).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yu Na can win with 5 triple programs because she does a 3-3 in the short. That, plus her PCS make her pretty much unbeatable unless she makes multiple mistakes. The unknown factor, however, is how she handles the pressure. The Olympics tend to cause great skaters to become merely good. Few skaters can point to their Olympic performances as their all-time best (Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski excepted).

Evan Lysacek! But yeah I agree. Yuna with 3-2 will beat anyone else with a 3-2 unless she makes other mistakes. Yuna had a 3-3 UR to a 3-2 AND a popped flip at the GPF and she still got 65 points for that program. A 3lz-3t is worth 10 points and a 3lz-2t is worth 7.3, so it just means if Yuna does a 3-2 instead of a 3-3 and is otherwise clean, her score will be 73 instead of 76. None of the other ladies have ever gotten 73 points for a SP.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

Yu-Na won Worlds and TEB with 5 triples... she won SA with only 3 (but with her 3-3 and an incredible score in the short) and the GPF with 4 (without the 3-3 in the short). She could very well win with a 5 (possibly even a 4) triple program even without the 3-3 in the SP.... although that is more of a situation that would depend on how the rest of the field does as well. If everyone wound up skating only to their SB score and Yu-Na did a SP to match her SA or TEB score, she could give up as many as 4 (possibly 5 jumps) in the LP (her 3 triple program at SA still received over 111 points) and win; she would only need about 106-ish points in the LP.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yu-Na won Worlds and TEB with 5 triples... she won SA with only 3 (but with her 3-3 and an incredible score in the short) and the GPF with 4 (without the 3-3 in the short). She could very well win with a 5 (possibly even a 4) triple program even without the 3-3 in the SP.... although that is more of a situation that would depend on how the rest of the field does as well. If everyone wound up skating only to their SB score and Yu-Na did a SP to match her SA or TEB score, she could give up as many as 4 (possibly 5 jumps) in the LP (her 3 triple program at SA still received over 111 points) and win; she would only need about 106-ish points in the LP.

It's hard to tell. Yuna won her GP events but not all the top skaters are at the same GP events so her performance at SA might not have been enough if other skaters were there. I tend to think Yuna can win with a few mistakes, but I think that these mistakes have to be made in the FS and not the SP. I'm thinking back to 2008 worlds when Yuna with gorgeous 3f-3t and 2a was in 5th after the SP after she fell on her 3lz, and then only pulled up to 3rd after winning the SP, even though Mao and Carolina weren't clean in the LP. Now, since then, Yuna has become better and Mao and Carolina have become unpredictable, but still. A clean SP with a 3-3 will put her ahead with a good margin, as I think even Miki with a 3lz-3lo and Mao with a clean 3a-2t will not get a score as high as Yuna, they might hit 70, but I doubt either would get a 76.

C

chillyfranz

No one is really unbbeatable, not even Yuna Kim, as Mao Asada is picking up steam, and watch for the other Japanese skaters too. Miki can surprise, so can Akiko

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
I don't think Yuna is going to have a huge lead going into the LP even if she skates well as in other competitions. It looks like the trend is to keep the contenders relatively close until the last phase. I just hope everyone skates their best and let the results fall where they may. Unfortunately for Mao, I have a hard time believing the judges are going to award those vampire music programs the gold. Plus they just don't highlight her strengths at all. She seems to have another poorly constructed Russian program that doesn't max out the COP ala Plushenko. Yuna looks focused in the practice clips. Mirai could be a dark horse for the podium. It's gonna be exciting in any case!

Moxie

On the Ice
I don't think Yuna is going to have a huge lead going into the LP even if she skates well as in other competitions. It looks like the trend is to keep the contenders relatively close until the last phase.

So much for fair judging in the COP-era...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Yuna is going to have a huge lead going into the LP even if she skates well as in other competitions. It looks like the trend is to keep the contenders relatively close until the last phase. I just hope everyone skates their best and let the results fall where they may. Unfortunately for Mao, I have a hard time believing the judges are going to award those vampire music programs the gold. Plus they just don't highlight her strengths at all. She seems to have another poorly constructed Russian program that doesn't max out the COP ala Plushenko. Yuna looks focused in the practice clips. Mirai could be a dark horse for the podium. It's gonna be exciting in any case!

Relatively close could still mean 6 or 7 points though. I don't really see anyone else getting above 70 points unless they do a 3-3, or in Mao's case a 3a-2t.