Ladies' SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

prettykeys

Medalist
I think that people tend to miscontrue what skaters/their coaches are actually saying, and this is obviously influenced by the media. For example, Mao apparently stated that she was 80% sure of getting Gold, her triple-axel is great, etc. etc. Some people call this arrogance. I call it being confident of performing well at your upcoming Olympics. For the top skaters, why wouldn't you be confident in your ability to get onto the podium?
Actually, Mao didn't say she was "80% sure." She said something along the lines of her being "80% of the way to the Gold". It wasn't a probability statement, it was a Mao-Progress-Statement. 80% at the level she wanted to be at.

But of course, maybe Mao really is evil, after all. Just a couple days ago, she was "boasting" about winning, wasn't she?

Mmmmhmmm.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Actually, Mao didn't say she was "80% sure." She said something along the lines of her being "80% of the way to the Gold". It wasn't a probability statement, it was a Mao-Progress-Statement. 80% at the level she wanted to be at.

But of course, maybe Mao really is evil, after all. Just a couple days ago, she was "boasting" about winning, wasn't she?

Mmmmhmmm.

Yes, evil, evil, evil Mao. How dare she express any form of confidence in regards to her form? Especially being 80% on the way to Gold! What a statement! Mayhaps she should do 3.6 triple axels then! Evil triple axels.

miki88

Medalist
I guess it's not soooo far-fetched to think that these top skaters can all be a bit too proud and confident of their skills. I mean why wouldn't they if they are the best in the world? I know I would. Anyways the media needs a good catfight for the ladies after all the dogfight in the men. The men lash out with words while the ladies use their deadly stares :laugh:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I guess it's not soooo far-fetched to think that these top skaters can all be a bit too proud and confident of their skills. I mean why wouldn't they if they are the best in the world? I know I would. Anyways the media needs a good catfight for the ladies after all the dogfight in the men. The men lash out with words while the ladies use their deadly stares :laugh:

:laugh:

karenll

Rinkside
Since we're on the subject of Yuna...I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of Yuna's skating. From everything I've heard, I guess I'm the only one? I got into figure skating because of Kwan and Cohen, and comparatively speaking, Yuna's artistry doesn't really do it for me. She's a great jumper, and with CoP that's probably the most important thing, but when I saw her skate for the first time a year ago at Worlds, I wasn't that impressed by her artistry (a bit stiff to me). IMO her spirals are just average. The leg height is average, the leg's not turned out, there's no eye popping moves like the Charlotte spiral or Kwan's change of edge. Her layback spin also has no turnout. she doesn't do dramatic "flourishes" like Russian splits or falling leafs. I feel like her jumps are the only area where she truly excels over the competition...which makes her hard to beat, but not unbeatable, IMO.

miki88

Medalist
Since we're on the subject of Yuna...I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of Yuna's skating. From everything I've heard, I guess I'm the only one? I got into figure skating because of Kwan and Cohen, and comparatively speaking, Yuna's artistry doesn't really do it for me. She's a great jumper, and with CoP that's probably the most important thing, but when I saw her skate for the first time a year ago at Worlds, I wasn't that impressed by her artistry (a bit stiff to me). IMO her spirals are just average. The leg height is average, the leg's not turned out, there's no eye popping moves like the Charlotte spiral or Kwan's change of edge. Her layback spin also has no turnout. she doesn't do dramatic "flourishes" like Russian splits or falling leafs. I feel like her jumps are the only area where she truly excels over the competition...which makes her hard to beat, but not unbeatable, IMO.

As far as artistry goes, no one beats Michelle or Oksana Baiul in that area. My honest opinion is that I feel Suzuki's performances are the most geniuine and engaging, but unfortunately, she's not rewarded for it.

prettykeys

Medalist
That is a fair opinion. Not all people are inspired by or crazy about YuNa's skating, either.

But I'm not one of those people. :biggrin: ;) She is no Sasha Cohen or Michelle Kwan. Being YuNa Kim is good enough for me!

miki88

Medalist
It's sad that you don't see it.
And it's sad I don't see it either in miki or mao, but only because I don't know them well.
perhaps because of cultural differences and what they've been through?
Yuna may not be smiling all the time like sweeite pie mao, but she described herself to be rather "boyish" and "funny."

I think it's silly to judge someone's personality when you don't truly know them. in that case what they have done sometimes tell us who they are. like yuna and her charitable works.
the word that comes to my mind when I think of yuna is "grace."
I was really moved by her when I read from the article in which yuna said she was heartbroken as she saw the pictures of children in Haiti.
And she responded quickly by donating to UNICEF and saying that although it's not much she hopes that it will help suffering children in Haiti. If that's not beautiful, I don't know what is.

but i admit that sometimes she makes funny faces during interview- it is obvious to me that she pauses and "thinks" before she answers questions- just shows how considerate she is.
"arrogant" is the last word I would describe her as. :laugh:

Mao does do charity work. There's a video about a handicapped little girl whose dream is to become a violinist and Mao skates to her playing "Over the Rainbow". It was really touching.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As I said, when I first learned Elena interfered with Yu-Na, I thought it was a confirmed thing. And I do love Yu-Na's skating, but I don't love her personality that much.

:thumbsup:

I am sorry to agree. She seems to be very aware just how good she is (but to be fair, I think most people would get to be like that after a while of the Korean nation practically worshipping her name).

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Well she IS good so all the people who complain about her arrogance is probably just jealous or just don't like the fact that she is the best. I would call person like Plushenko arrogant (although he earned the status to be like that)

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Miki also tried to save a young boy's life. His name was Sotaro Kakumu and he had an incurable intestinal disorder. Miki did a fund-raising campaign and asked for help and fortunately she managed to get money to pay for the surgery. But unfortunately, the boy passed away about two years ago.

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Both Mao and Yu-Na are wonderful skaters who have both been inspirations to their countries. Both are active in charity work and don't run around like little entitled celebrities... Mao is even enrolled in University. For whoever said that I was trying to comfort myself by looking at my non-favorite skater's accomplishments, that is completely wrong. I love Yu-Na, and as long as Yu-Na, Miki, or Mao take gold (I would say Mirai as well, but I rather see her top the podium in 2014 than this early), I will be a very happy camper. All I was doing is stating facts... you read the news and you see "Yu-Na is unstoppable/the favorite"... heck, there is even an article where Brian Orser says that Yu-Na is like Princess Di (a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion... lol). Has Yu-Na won every competition she has entered since Worlds? Yes. That seems all to be the media is harping on, but she hasn't won all of them in "top form" (ie. her LP at Skate America only had 3 clean triples as opposed to Miki winning Worlds with 7, including her 3Lz+3Lo combination back in 2007). All I like to do is dig a little bit deeper, see what the odds are (no different than my post that has all the top ladies base scores given they land all their jumps and achieve the highest level in an element they have all season).

At the end of the day, it's the Olympics: the ice is slippery, the pressure is tremendous, the field is talented, and the medal to be won isn't like anything else you can get in your entire career. I'd say let the best skater win, but that isn't always the case, so I'd rather see the most deserving win hehe.. for me, this year, that would be either Yu-Na, Mao, Joannie or Miki.

Edit: As for the personality discussions, they are a bit irrelevant to the skating aspect :laugh:. But it is difficult to tell, top athletes are just like any other celebrity... they have people managing their personal image, so we only see what they want us to see. Look at all the articles about Yu-Na, how many quotes are actually by HER and NOT by Brian Orser? With other quotes, many are lost in translation. Mao's 80% quote (when I first heard the interview) implied 80% improvement on her 3A and chances of landing it. Many things are lost in translation as well. You can't judge anyone's character unless you actually know them (in real life) as a person.

Last edited:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Both Mao and Yu-Na are wonderful skaters who have both been inspirations to their countries. Both are active in charity work and don't run around like little entitled celebrities... Mao is even enrolled in University. For whoever said that I was trying to comfort myself by looking at my non-favorite skater's accomplishments, that is completely wrong. I love Yu-Na, and as long as Yu-Na, Miki, or Mao take gold (I would say Mirai as well, but I rather see her top the podium in 2014 than this early), I will be a very happy camper. All I was doing is stating facts... you read the news and you see "Yu-Na is unstoppable/the favorite"... heck, there is even an article where Brian Orser says that Yu-Na is like Princess Di (a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion... lol). Has Yu-Na won every competition she has entered since Worlds? Yes. That seems all to be the media is harping on, but she hasn't won all of them in "top form" (ie. her LP at Skate America only had 3 clean triples as opposed to Miki winning Worlds with 7, including her 3Lz+3Lo combination back in 2007). All I like to do is dig a little bit deeper, see what the odds are (no different than my post that has all the top ladies base scores given they land all their jumps and achieve the highest level in an element they have all season).

At the end of the day, it's the Olympics: the ice is slippery, the pressure is tremendous, the field is talented, and the medal to be won isn't like anything else you can get in your entire career. I'd say let the best skater win, but that isn't always the case, so I'd rather see the most deserving win hehe.. for me, this year, that would be either Yu-Na, Mao, Joannie or Miki.

:)

miki88

Medalist

Edit: As for the personality discussions, they are a bit irrelevant to the skating aspect :laugh:. But it is difficult to tell, top athletes are just like any other celebrity... they have people managing their personal image, so we only see what they want us to see. Look at all the articles about Yu-Na, how many quotes are actually by HER and NOT by Brian Orser? With other quotes, many are lost in translation. Mao's 80% quote (when I first heard the interview) implied 80% improvement on her 3A and chances of landing it. Many things are lost in translation as well. You can't judge anyone's character unless you actually know them (in real life) as a person.

:thumbsup: I hope every girl does well tomorrow because I know they all worked very hard for this day and are all shouldering the pressures of their nations.

yangjie

On the Ice
Well she IS good so all the people who complain about her arrogance is probably just jealous or just don't like the fact that she is the best. I would call person like Plushenko arrogant (although he earned the status to be like that)

everybody knows she is the best. i agree with you sayng Japanese funs are jealous of her.
but, i dont like her EXTREME fans who insist koreans ladies are interfered by ELENA GLEBOVA and are writing DIRTY and BAD words on her HOMEPAGE.

i just tell you, NOBODY DISTURBS and DISTURBED YUNA AND KOREANS.

if you think elena disturbed korean ladies like yuna's EXTREME fans, i think you are.... should i say?

anyway I really hope ELENA isnt influenced by this.

Last edited:

CassieH

Rinkside
Woah. Chil-lax! You both need to stop. I heard it wasn't even Yuna's fans who started this whole issue. Min-jung Kwak's coach saw Glebova shouting things in her language to kwak, so she told both kwak and kim to be careful. Most yuna fans on fanpages are not even taking this seriously. In fact, most of the comments I saw on korean websites were saying that they feel sorry for glebova to be attacked like that by some extremists. I think you are making this a bigger issue than it is. It's odd that you decided to share all these details with us when nobody even asked. what is your intention?

see yangjie's other posts. you will see his/her intention clearly.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
As I said, when I first learned Elena interfered with Yu-Na, I thought it was a confirmed thing. And I do love Yu-Na's skating, but I don't love her personality that much.

:thumbsup:

I lost some respect for you. What would you know about her personality? Do you know her personally? Do you even understand Korean? Don't judge people that you don't really know.

yangjie

On the Ice
Woah. Chil-lax! You both need to stop. I heard it wasn't even Yuna's fans who started this whole issue. Min-jung Kwak's coach saw Glebova shouting things in her language to kwak, so she told both kwak and kim to be careful. Most yuna fans on fanpages are not even taking this seriously. In fact, most of the comments I saw on korean websites were saying that they feel sorry for glebova to be attacked like that by some extremists. I think you are making this a bigger issue than it is. It's odd that you decided to share all these details with us when nobody even asked. what is your intention?

I told you. just I am talking about her EXTREME fans and elena, not her general fans. I know koreans are generally nice guys.

i just thought that Johannn is one of EXTREME fans.

Ren

On the Ice
bethissoawesome, you hit the nail on the head. It really is hard to see the real person if you don't know them personally.

As for Orser's "Princess Di" comment, I think he meant 'in Korea'. Yu-Na's country is in love with her (some would say obsessed with her) and she's hardly left alone there, isn't she? I remember reading an article in which Adam Rippon related how he called Yu-Na from Korea during Four Continents and told her how much easier it was being there without her. :) In the sense that less people mobbed him by association with Kim, I suppose.