Ladies' SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies' SP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I meant if everyone is clean. I'm not counting on anyone for a melt down in order for someone else to sneak in.
So if everyone is clean, Joannie will place higher than Miki.

Realistically everyone won't be clean though. Evan and Plushy were the only ones to have two clean programs in the men's event.

What I do not like about what NBC shows is that the first two skaters are interspersed with commercials and other winter sports. I presume that has nothing to do with scoring but am I getting a tape of the next few skaters to allow for this? and I presume it brings us up to LIVE TV for the last two groups.

Other than that, I still havn't figured out how the Men's champion wound up in the penultimate group of the LP skating order.

prettykeys

Medalist
I don't mind Mao's dress. Coulda been better around the chest--maybe a larger burgandy velvet area and no flower--but it's not that bad. Miki's SP dress on the other hand, that huge cross bothers me. LOL

Moxie

On the Ice
I can't decide which is more distracting: the cross on Miki's chest or the flappy arm flaps. Mao's costume is okay. The color is flattering but the design is odd. Is this another TAT creation? Has Mao gone a competition this season without a choker?

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Well, I suppose you're counting the UR at the GPF as legitimate when really, a lot of people including Oly champions like Scott Hamilton said it wasn't. Otherwise, although she's missed it twice, it still remains the most consistent of the "big" jumping passes this season, especially compared to Miki's 3Lz-3Lo which almost never materialises during competition and Mao's 3-axel.

In the end, it doesn't matter what we think, what the commentators think, that past Olympics champions think... it's what the technical caller thinks. Another technical caller also decided the jump was underrotated at TEB. It happens.

Percentages for other "big jumps," (including 3+3's, solo 3A's, 3A combos) this includes Nationals and other events outside of the Grand Prix... basically every time the skater has been in a competition this season: Yu-Na Kim's 3Lz+3T = 50%, 3/6; Rachael Flatt's 3F+3T = 67%, 4/6 ; Mao Asada's 3A+2T = 50% 3/5; Mao Asada's solo 3A = 50% 2/4; Miki Ando's 3Lz+3Lo = 0%, 0/1 (attempted once and UR); Alena Leonovo's 3T+3T = 40% (20% if the fall is not included); Carolina Kostner's 3F+3T = 17%, 1/6 ; Laura Lepisto's 3T+3T = 33%, 1/3; Elene Gedevanishvli's 3T+3T(+2T) = 67%, 2/3

So actually... You are a bit off there, from all their competitive skates this season, Yu-Na and Mao show the same percentage of landing their "big jumps," and Rachael Flatt shows an even higher percentage than both of them o_O

I need a recap. Why didn't Miki take advantage of Yuna's mistakes at the GPF? I always thought that Miki totally missed a good chance there.

Perhaps Miki would have gone for the 3Lz+3Lo at the GPF short program after hearing that Yu-Na's was underrotated, but Miki skated before Yu-Na in the SP (Miki skated 5th, Yu-Na skated last in 6th).

Also for the LP at GPF, perhaps Miki thought she didn't need the 3Lz+3Lo in this scenario either, because this time (skating last), she already knew that Yu-Na only did the 3Lz+2T and not her standard 3Lz+3T, and the 3T on her 2A+3T combination was underrotated as well. Yu-Na's LP TES score was 61.7... if Miki had landed the 3S and held her spiral, her base value would have been 56.6 and their SP PCS scores were very similar. In that position, all Miki needed was a clean skate to win, so risking the 3Lz+3Lo there definitely wasn't worth it. And if Miki skated clean in the LP (or if she didn't bauble and have her spin dropped to a level 1 in the SP), she would have won the GPF.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

The look fantastic! Both dresses actually remind me of the Japanese lolita brand Alice and the Pirates (the "darker" version from Baby the Stars Shine Bright)... since their signature is crosses and the burgundy/black color combination. If they had little poofy dresses on them, they would look like they came straight out of the catalog.

I hope Mao changes her LP dress... I'm keeping my fingers crossed to something all black that is more suitable to Bells of Moscow. Yu-Na's costumes are already fantastic.

prettykeys

Medalist
Blahdeeblah blah blah. YuNa keeps missing her 3-3. YuNa's also lost her 3Flip. Mao's 3A is consistently underrotated. Mao's costumes + programs also suck and the judges aren't going to like them. Miki has no artistry and will fail on her 3-3 attempt.

And so on, and so on.

Whatever makes ya'll feel better. Keep calculating the chances of your non-favourite skater failing!

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Whatever makes ya'll feel better. Keep calculating the chances of your non-favourite skater failing!

But that's what FS fans love to do. The calculation part is a bit extreme (actually, where's Mathman...), but they love to tempt the skate gods :laugh: I was thinking this thread was on the verge of getting a tad-bit ridiculous, but hey people are passionate for their favorite ladies. Let them defend and speculate all they want. The more, the merrier, as long as they have their info right :biggrin: But, of course, we all know this is of little use, as we've seen the best falter and the unexpected rise to the occasion at the Olympics. We don't know what to expect on the night.

prettykeys

Medalist
But that's what FS fans love to do. The calculation part is a bit extreme (actually, where's Mathman...), but they love to tempt the skate gods :laugh: I was thinking this thread was on the verge of getting a tad-bit ridiculous, but hey people are passionate for their favorite ladies. Let them defend and speculate all they want. The more, the merrier, as long as they have their info right :biggrin: But, of course, we all know this is of little use, as we've seen the best falter and the unexpected rise to the occasion at the Olympics. We don't know what to expect on the night.
I know, right? But all this focus on the negative things that could happen because X skater is inconsistent on this element or has been missing that element so-and-so many times this past season/year/decade/lifetime makes me wonder if some people are airing their wishful thoughts.

Because when I watch Figure Skating, I totally do it to see all the botched jumps and ugly positions, that's really where my eyes and memories stick!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In the end, it doesn't matter what we think, what the commentators think, that past Olympics champions think... it's what the technical caller thinks. Another technical caller also decided the jump was underrotated at TEB. It happens.

Percentages for other "big jumps," (including 3+3's, solo 3A's, 3A combos) this includes Nationals and other events outside of the Grand Prix... basically every time the skater has been in a competition this season: Yu-Na Kim's 3Lz+3T = 50%, 3/6; Rachael Flatt's 3F+3T = 67%, 4/6 ; Mao Asada's 3A+2T = 50% 3/5; Mao Asada's solo 3A = 50% 2/4; Miki Ando's 3Lz+3Lo = 0%, 0/1 (attempted once and UR); Alena Leonovo's 3T+3T = 40% (20% if the fall is not included); Carolina Kostner's 3F+3T = 17%, 1/6 ; Laura Lepisto's 3T+3T = 33%, 1/3; Elene Gedevanishvli's 3T+3T(+2T) = 67%, 2/3

So actually... You are a bit off there, from all their competitive skates this season, Yu-Na and Mao show the same percentage of landing their "big jumps," and Rachael Flatt shows an even higher percentage than both of them o_O

Rachael didn't attempt her 3-3 at CoC though, so her percentage is based off of two competitions. Lepisto similarly often does not attempt the 3-3. The ladies all haven't been to the same number of competitions either. I hope they all land their big combos, it will be more exciting. Pumped for tomorrow, but really nervous too. GO MIRAI! GO YUNA!

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
I need a recap. Why didn't Miki take advantage of Yuna's mistakes at the GPF? I always thought that Miki totally missed a good chance there.

While all of the above are true, the main reason why Miki skated super conservatively at GPF was because she and Morozov were more interested in having 2 programs that would safely have her qualify to the Olympics as the top Japanese skater at the competition, rather than risk not qualifying for the Olympics for the change to win the GPF.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Blahdeeblah blah blah. YuNa keeps missing her 3-3. YuNa's also lost her 3Flip. Mao's 3A is consistently underrotated. Mao's costumes + programs also suck and the judges aren't going to like them. Miki has no artistry and will fail on her 3-3 attempt.

And so on, and so on.

Dude, relax! bethissoawesome was just pointing out some facts.

prettykeys

Medalist
I am relaxed. Do you want me to get on webcam to show you?

How cute that you actually single out a poster, though. I guess my words seemed to apply to her more than anyone else. ;)

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
I am relaxed. Do you want me to get on webcam to show you?

How cute that you actually single out a poster, though. I guess my words seemed to apply to her more than anyone else. ;)

Oh, don't worry. That won't be necessary.

;)

I'm not singling out anyone. As I said, bethissoawesome was just pointing out some facts. What's so wrong with that?