Tragedy strikes Rochette | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tragedy strikes Rochette

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I just read in the Radio-Canada article (it's in French so I won't link it), that her mother was her strongest crtic but also her fiercest supporter. That makes some sense, then, why she's thinking she'll still skate: her mom would have wanted it. I don't know if she'll be able to compose herself in such little time. No matter how the skate goes, it will be emotional for her and the audience. I follow her twitter and she hasn't said anything there yet.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I just heard about it on NBC. My heart goes out to Joannie at this difficult time. Losing a parent at any time is a very difficult thing, but before some of the biggest days of your life has got to make it extra tough to deal with. She must be quite strong to go on and skate. I don't think I could do it.

Didn't Joannie have a close friend die just before 2006 Worlds as well? She was a medal hope there, too. I feel bad for her that these tragedies keep occurring, especially during major moments of her career.

I wish Joannie and her familly much comfort in dealing with their grief.

Antilles

Medalist
She did have a young friend who died in a car accident right before an event a few years ago. Too sad for them.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I hope she can find the strength to get through the short & long programs. Brings back memories of other skaters losses at competition. Isabelle Brasseur's father, Dan Jansen's sister, was it Nicole Bobek whose coach died at a competition? And yes, Angela's mother. My prayers go out to Joannie. May she have 2 perfect skates.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
My sympathy for Joannie's terrible loss. What a tragic event to happen just before she skates for Olympic glory. Be strong, Joannie.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
:( Be strong, Joannie. I am just so upset but I hope your years of hard training and work will not have been for nothing. May you have two perfect skates and a podium finish for yourself, your mother and for Canada.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I saw Nastia sending her prayers to Joannie and I was like "WHAT HAPPENED!!" OMG. I can't believe this. How unbeliveably terrible. I am happy that Joannie will still compete, surely that is what her mom woul have wanted. I can't imagine a worse thing to happen in what should be such a great time for Joannie. Why so much tragedy in these games?

Prayers to Joannie and her family:love:

bmelanie

On the Ice
I can't even imagine what Joannie's going through right now...I'm glad the Canadian team and admin are being so thoughtful and tactful. I'm just going to cry when I see her on the ice - she's a strong woman and a great skater, but no one can brush off the death of a loved one, especially a mother.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Shocking News For Joannie....

My heart goes out to Joannie Rochette this morning as we all learned the news that her mother passed away early this morning in Vancouver. Joannie plans to continue and skate for her mother's memory this week. It's going to be a tough call for Joannie. No matter, we all love her and support her what ever the outcome.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Mother+...ie+Rochette+dies+Vancouver/2594085/story.html

millie

Medalist
Breaking news: Joannie Rochett's mother has passed away

Just announced on CBC that Joannie's mother has died at 55 years old. Joannie's family were in Vancouver when the death occurred. Joannie may still skate on Tuesday. Further details to be announced.

Last edited: