Tragedy strikes Rochette | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Tragedy strikes Rochette

Hikaru

Final Flight
it's like Angela Nikodinov at nationals 2005 all over again.

I am devastated for her. The article I read earlier said she says she plans to compete, and I hope it's a magical moment for her... :cry:

I am speechless, such a tragedy for poor Joannie. God gives her and her family strenght during this time of trial.

hongligl

Final Flight
My heart sunk and I can hardly breath. What a tragedy! My condolences to Joannie. I hope she stay strong and skate two great programs for her and her mom.

Wrlmy

Medalist
What a sad news. My heart goes out to Joannie and her family. I can't believe the worst thing possible happened at the worst time for Joannie.
I hope everyone, especially the media, respects her decisions and giver her some space.

Justafan

On the Ice
So sad :( I pray Joannie is able to channel her grief. I can only imagine what she must be going through with having two performances ahead of her. My deep condolences to her and her family.

Bonsai

Rinkside
I am so sorry for her. My condolences to Joannie and her family. I hope she can find all the strength she needs to get through this difficult time.

Scout

Final Flight
How quickly things can change is a split second. My thoughts and prayers are with Joannie and her family.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
So So sad.. i dunno what to say,, never a fan but she's such a classy skater and I hope that if she really wants to go through the olympics despite the tragedy, she stays focused and strong enough.. if not is totally understandable too.. all my best wishes for her.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Oh no. No, no, no, no! How could something like this have happened?! :cry:

My heart goes out to her and her family.

Alatariel

On the Ice
I am very sorry for her loss. One is never 'old enough' to lose a parent and there is never a 'good time' for it but right now, when she is supposed to feel only joy and happiness ... life to put it plainly sometimes truly s..cks. I don't know whether she'll compete but if she does, may she rock the world.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Just saw this on CTV News. 55 is too young to die. :no: I come from a family where my grandparents have all lived to be 90 so I think to go at such a young age is a real tragedy.

It said Joannie plans to go on (perhaps that's what she feels her Mom would have wanted?), but that Skate Canada is asking for the media not to speak to her until after the event is over.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope she can find the strength to get through the short & long programs. Brings back memories of other skaters losses at competition. Isabelle Brasseur's father, Dan Jansen's sister, was it Nicole Bobek whose coach died at a competition? And yes, Angela's mother. My prayers go out to Joannie. May she have 2 perfect skates.

IIRC Carlo Fassi passed away just before Worlds....

and Scott Hamilton called the 1994 Ladies LP while his father was in the hospital (from either a stroke or heart attack IIRC) and was very mixed as to whether he should stay or go - his father died before the end of the ladies final and it was too late, so he'd not have made it in time anyway (doesn't make it easier, though). This was after he lost his mother to Cancer, and one of his sponsors...

And one does not need ot be reminded of Sergei's sudden heartattack and death in 1995 (can you believe it'll be 15 years this november?)

tragedy really follows this sport around.

Last edited:
I just read about this on the online news. How dreadful! Not only is Joannie young, but her mother was also. I hope everyone around Joannie shelters her this week, and that the media will not make anything tasteless and voyeuristic out of this.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thank you for starting this thread. I read about it earlier, but it was such a shock; I did not feel ready to post anything about it. I have been an admirer of Joannie ever since I saw the early version of her Firebird programme. She was so magnificent in it, and it had qualities I had never seen in a programme before. I liked Joannie even before that; she is such a fine athlete, and has such a genuinely sweet smile. I am so very sorry that she has to cope with this incredible loss, and at such a time as this. Perhaps it will help her to deal with her shock and sorrow, if she focuses on the skating; I hope so.

What can one say at a time like this? Joannie, :love: may God be with you.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
daylife.com has photos up, now, of her practice today. she looks okay all things considered.