Tragedy strikes Rochette | Golden Skate

Tragedy strikes Rochette

Nadine

Record Breaker
OMG, this is horrible, my heart & prayers & condolences go out to Joannie & her family. Do you have a link?

This reminds me of Angela Nikodinov's mother dying while they were together at Nationals preparing for Angela's skate.

I knew this Olympics would be bad, had a feeling, first the luge competitor, now Joannie's mom. Canada is cursed.

prettykeys

Medalist
That is SO sad...my condolences to Joannie. What a rough year it's been for her, just as she's rising in her skating career...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
How terrible for Joannie, my favorite lady for gold. How will this influence her life and skating? Dear thoughts to Joannie :love:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am shaking and my heart is beating so fast . . . oh my God, I cannot believe this is happening!

nghtvsn

Rinkside
That's so terrible and sad. I don't know how she's going to even be able to focus, but maybe she can use this to celebrate her mother's life. Sorry for her mom's death though.

We shall see.

figuristka

Medalist
I got worried when i saw the title of the thread, now this is the worse thing for her. Iam so sorry for her.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I just ran down to the computer to post when I heard. Poor Joannie. She's worked so hard for this & to lose her mom so suddenly and at such a young age......My heart just breaks for her.

stickle

Rinkside
Poor Joannie. Her world must be upside down. How will she ever find the strength to concentrate and do what she's worked so hard for so many years to do. I just feel sick for her.

rain

Record Breaker
This is so sad. She is brave to try to continue. I wish her all the best in whatever she decides to do in the end.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh, no. This is just awful. :cry:

I wish Joannie all the best and I hope that if she does indeed compete, she will give two performances to be proud of, regardless of the result. What a terrible thing to cope with during what should have been a wonderful time in her life.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Wait, what? I thought her mom died in the season leading up to the last Olympics? I remember some kind of commentary about her program from that season being based on a tribute to her mother or something?

This is sad. :(

chania36

On the Ice
I've read the paper here in Montreal and they are saying that she did suffered a sudden heart attack and that Joannie plans to still compete in Vancouver. I would give the link but it is in french. All our thoughts and prayers must be with her and her family.. How hard this must be on her. Her mother had just arrived in Vancouver with her husband to see her daughter skate.. how sad this is, I just have hard time to believe this, I'm all shaken up.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Wait, what? I thought her mom died in the season leading up to the last Olympics? I remember some kind of commentary about her program from that season being based on a tribute to her mother or something?

This is sad. :(