Questions raised over ice dance judging panel | Golden Skate

Questions raised over ice dance judging panel

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Well, I can see who will win this one. Congratulations on your gold medal, Dominina and Shabalin.

Nadine

Record Breaker
The machinations have already begun, S&P all over again, have no fear Canada will take the gold in ice dance just to shut them up.

Oops, forgot Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton, the holes in their face will be flying nonstop like at the 2002 Olympics.

And that's JMHO. :)

ademption

Rinkside
The machinations have already begun, S&P all over again, have no fear Canada will take the gold in ice dance just to shut them up.

Oops, forgot Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton, the holes in their face will be flying nonstop like at the 2002 Olympics.

And that's JMHO. :)

LOL!! Just remember there's no Scotty and Sandra for ice dancing. Thank goodness!! Tracy Wilson has her biases but they aren't as blatant as Scotty and Sandra.

It's so great to see how North America media intends to continue this Cold War narrative--evil Russians vs good North Americans--into this competition. Maybe they'll stop this nonsense for the ladies' event?

Cadiva

On the Ice
It's a disgraceful piece of journalism, quoting from anonymous sources and filling it with we believe, he said/she said etc. I've been a journalist for 20 years and that wouldn't have got into our local weekly newspaper never mind a national newspaper. It's scandalous muck raking and nothing less. People seem to forget the two assistants that each judge has alongside them to check for GoE and whether the figure or jump they're performing actually conforms to the necessary technical requirements plus the fact there are nine judges in total and that it's the scores from a random five of them which make up the marks (unless they've changed it again?!)

ademption

Rinkside
On the figure skating preview/review show, Terry Gannon just asked Tracy Wilson what she thought about this article and potential bloc judging. She said that she thought that the judging of the compulsory dance was fair. She also mentioned that sometimes there are cultural clashes that create different judging outcomes. My impression was that she didn't take much stock in this article at all.

Again, I really admire Tracy Wilson for diffusing the issue. I'm sure Tom Hammond will try to bring it up tonight to continue the Cold War theme that NBC is advocating right now. But I hope that Tracy treats the situation in the same way that she did this afternoon and swats down this rumor.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I hope this doesn't spread. Skating doesn't need another scandal of this sort. D/S were great, the current judges agreed overall, and the author fails to note how subjective ice dance scoring is in the first place. Of course other judges are going to have their own opinions. It doesn't mean there's anything shady going on.

Axel Rose

On the Ice
Unfortunately, Tracy Wilson is not working on CTV and Rod Black, as well as Jennifer Robinson, from what I heard of her commentaries during the CDs, are prone to hyperbole. Who knows what they will say tonight on the home network.

I am, however, rather troubled to read about the judge who had negative assessments and was dropped in Turin.

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
I am always amazed at how insecure those Cnadians are. Jesus Christ, so that's the only way you can win, by having Canadian judges on the panel?

If Russians are so 'secure', why do they need to export their judges to those satellite countries? Why would a disgraced judge be put on the panel? Pot calling kettle. Hilarious.

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
It's a disgraceful piece of journalism, quoting from anonymous sources and filling it with we believe, he said/she said etc. I've been a journalist for 20 years and that wouldn't have got into our local weekly newspaper never mind a national newspaper. It's scandalous muck raking and nothing less. People seem to forget the two assistants that each judge has alongside them to check for GoE and whether the figure or jump they're performing actually conforms to the necessary technical requirements plus the fact there are nine judges in total and that it's the scores from a random five of them which make up the marks (unless they've changed it again?!)

To be honest, I don't believe any mainstream media have any more credibility. Being a journalist for 20years does not make you more credible than others these days, it's probably the contrary in most instances.:love:

oxade21

Match Penalty
If Russians are so 'secure', why do they need to export their judges to those satellite countries? Why would a disgraced judge be put on the panel? Pot calling kettle. Hilarious.

Nobody else have qualified judges. That's why they also export their coaches because nobody has them qualified enough. And because of the help of those secure Russians who are secure enough to train competition you even can compete and write those nasty articles.
Is that clear?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Can we at least wait to see what happens?! The CD was judged fairly and this is something everyone agrees on.

We've seen the DomShabs at Euros and unless the others bomb there is no way they can win, unless they improve which I think unlikely, with that kind of standard.

Meh, this reminds me of the whole Plushenko mess - smear the Russians way ahead of the contest so that we have a back up plan to fall on...

Cadiva

On the Ice
To be honest, I don't believe any mainstream media have any more credibility. Being a journalist for 20years does not make you more credible than others these days, it's probably the contrary in most instances.:love:

I wasn't commenting on my credibility, I was pointing out that the standard of reporting in that piece wouldn't have made it into my local weekly newspaper never mind a national daily ;)

zizi31

Rinkside
Despite this bloc judging theory, I think that the CD was judged fairly, so I don't think that there's anything to worry about just yet. However, I am displeased that the judge who was dropped from the Turin Olympics is on the panel again. If she did something bad enough to be dropped, she should never be allowed to sit on another olympic panel again.

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Meh, this reminds me of the whole Plushenko mess - smear the Russians way ahead of the contest so that we have a back up plan to fall on...

Both sides are dirty. N.A. mafia seem to be beating Russians at their own game this time. Read this article, very interesting.

http://auntjoyceicecreamstand.blogspot.com/2010/02/art-of-international-politics.html
The Art of International Politics

Evan Lysacek told reporters that his gold medal is as much Frank Carroll’s as it is his. All personal taste aside, Evan is right. Frank is a master politician. His former skaters will all attest to this after Frank learned a hard lesson in international politics at the 1980 Olympics. Frank was outplayed by an East German machine that didn’t even need to prop up their own skater in order to defeat Linda Fratianne.

“Figure skating is so political, how can you watch it?” is something I often field from coworkers who say they prefer sports with a definitive winner. A time clock is boring. To understand how Evan Lysacek was able to beat Evgeny Plushenko, one must understand that it did have a lot to do with their performances, but it also was a match between Frank and the North American machine against Mishin, Piseev and Didier.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Just wondering who actually makes the decisions which judges are appointed for each event.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can you imagine the uproar if US and CAN "loaned" judges to other countries, and the panel consisted of two US judges, two Canadian judges, one RUS, and 4 European (nonSSR) judges? There would be a huge outcry.

But it's OK to have a panel with 4 judges who used to judge for the former Soviet Union.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
MSNBC just reported this issue... so you can bet it's going to be brought up by Tom Hammond and Bob Costas at some point tonight :sheesh: :no:

nevermind the Russian athletes work just as hard and are just as good as the others, it's the country that counts.