Questions raised over ice dance judging panel | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Questions raised over ice dance judging panel

The FD panel is fairer than the OD and CD panels: AZE FRA GBR GER HUN ISR ITA JPN UKR. Let's hope for scoring that is commensurate with the performances.

Delobel and Schoenfelder skated great in the original dance. I hope Gailhaguet can get it together to get them on the podium. :yes:

tralfamadorian

Rinkside
I don't believe there is any case for conspiracy, but from what the article assumes is that there is a gathering of the Russo clan from where ever they are who will vote in unisome. You have to believe if any of the 'Stans' are on the panel they will not be muslims but former Russians or their families sent to a stan for the service of the USSR. How much other States, e,g, Hungary, are still beholding to the USSR and therefore Russia is moot. There is no denying that the North Americans are not held in esteem in other countries. And for that reason, I do not believe V/M, D/W, and B/A have a chance for gold. It will be Russia's one chance for gold. The North Americans will get silver and bronze as a token of fairness.

I hope I'm misunderstanding your post and you didn't mean to say that Hungary is a "Russo clan" country, but in case that's what you meant then as a Hungarian I'd find that quite offensive.
And sorry but IMO terms like 'Russo clan' and "Stans' just show a total lack of respect for these countries.
Maybe these kinds of prejudicial attitudes are a reason that "North Americans are not held in esteem in other countries" as you say.

Tesla

Final Flight
No one would complain about DomShabs' scoring if they skated well and deserved their scores. But their OD was not well skated in comparison even to DelShoes, yet they received only a point and a half less than Davis/White, who skated lights out.

What? Dom/Shab scored almost 4 points less than D/W. Dom/Shab got 62.84, and D/W got 67.08. D/W are almost 2 points ahead of Dom/Shab overall. I knew V/M were going to win before the games started. I'm not a V/M fan and thought that D/W should've won the OD, but I get why they are in first, although I think they did get a home country bump. Deservedly, V/M are in first and will win. I really don't see where the controversy is. Dom/Shab skated a fantastic CD, but their OD was just on on par with D/W and V/M. Del/Scho just were not there. They should've done Euros. The rust shows. They needed to perform in competition before the Olympics. B/A I'm just gutted about. :( I really wanted them to do well. I think they should've beaten Dom/Shab in the OD. I really hope they can pull up to bronze.

Tesla

Final Flight
It wouldn't be a figure skating board without the ringing cries of "wuz robbed" and "fixed judging."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oxade always prefers Russian teams, so any competition where they don't win is suspect from her point of view.

In this particular case, DomShabs are at most about 75% of what they used to be, and they are unable to perform at their previous level due to Shabalin's damaged knees. If DomShabs won the OGM over the exceptional skating of V/M and D/W, that would truly be a travesty.

tralfamadorian

Rinkside
I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing politics, skating is a judged sport and so there will always be some politcs and some subjectivity involved.

But IMO the skaters shouldn't be blamed for real/precieved political judging, it's not like they give their scores to themselves. Just as I think it's not fair to assume that any time a Russian skater wins it's only because of politics or any judge who is Russian is automatically unfair, etc...

I'm a little bit puzzled about people crying wuzrobbed even before the competition ended (and actually, even before it started), especially since the judging has been pretty fair so far.
(And let's also consider that at Euros the judging panel - which I'm sure included many 'Russian block' judges - gave D/S relatively low scores compared to what the NA top couples have been getting this season, so I don't think they're slotted for gold at all.)

Big Deal

Final Flight
There is always some politics in figure skating, especially in ice dance.

As far as I can concern UNTIL THIS it is the most fairly judged Olympics so far !!
I hope it will continue like that.
I really think that they started to understand, to be more transparent and fair is essential in this stage to survive and keep this wonderful sport in the schedule of the Olympics.