Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies | Golden Skate

Who will be the sacrificial lamb for the ladies

UM84

On the Ice
Johnny was it for the men, Belbin and Agosto seem to be it in Ice Dancing.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ah, I see. My money's on Suzuki or Flatt, they always skate really well but don't always get the best scores to reflect that.

Kissx3

Final Flight
If it happens it'll be anyone who isn't considered the top skater from a given country as per the usual method.

Trewyn

Medalist
Suzuki is the most vulnerable

Yeah :frown: ... I really hope she does well though. But yeah, she might suffer from '3rd Japanese girl' thing that Johnny suffered from as '3rd US Man'... I would love to see that girl podium, though, even if that would be an upset. She's just so charming on the ice. Lovely to watch.

Trewyn

Medalist
^^You probably mean Alena... Yeah, maybe. Mao maybe too; especially if Miki podiums. Sarah: yeah, I almost forgot her, the judges always forget her.. And yet she's such a beautiful skater.

Bennett

Record Breaker
^^You probably mean Alena... Yeah, maybe. Mao maybe too; especially if Miki podiums. Sarah: yeah, I almost forgot her, the judges always forget her.. And yet she's such a beautiful skater.

Oops. No ice arena. Yes, Alena from Russia.

Is it true that two from the same country cannot be on the podium??? I heard that in Johnny's threads. But there are so many possible explanations for his scores that I can't tell.

Sarah: yeah, I almost forgot her, the judges always forget her.. And yet she's such a beautiful skater.
Yeah, she is beautiful. If the Finnish beauty theory is correct, she should score higher. Actually, I was gonna ask if Sarah will be competing.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I'm very sad to say this, but I'm afraid the Ladies' sacrificial lamb will be Joannie. I know that she is going to reach deep down and pull out of herself a visually beautiful performance, but the strength required to meet the athletiic challenges for a medal will, I think, not be there for her. Still, she will get a tremendous response from her home audience, that is certain. All my heartfelt wishes and condolences go to her as she skates in tribute to her mother.

miki88

Medalist
:confused: How is Mao considered a probable sacrificial lamb? She has more support from JSF than Miki. If she doesn't medal, it will because she faltered not because of politics right?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Weir was, that was clear.

I have no idea, probably Suzuki as per the usual 3rd nonsense. We'll see.

Trewyn

Medalist
Is it true that two from the same country cannot be on the podium??? I heard that in Johnny's threads. But there are so many possible explanations for his scores that I can't tell.

No way that's a 'rule'. Look at pairs; 2 Chinese teams. It's just that in a field were 3 continents are strong, 'politically' speaking, it would be 'nicer' if all three are represented or something. Some of my friends (but they don't know much about figure skating) stated after Johnny had skated and received his marks 'The USA only paid/lobbied for one skater.' :p

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see Johnny as a sacrificial lamb in the mens' event. I don't think his style of programs are suited to this COP judging system. Weir is a purist on the ice and his skating is very simplistically beautiful. COP is not about purity and simplicity. It's about complexity and maximizing points with busy programs. Johnny's gold is the satisfaction of knowing he did his best at these Olympics and knowing that there are many who appreciate him in this world. :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
:confused: How is Mao considered a probable sacrificial lamb? She has more support from JSF than Miki. If she doesn't medal, it will because she faltered not because of politics right?

For some judges, she might have seen as having lost the momentum. The GP series followed by 4th at Worlds. Her PCS can get low not because a lot of ppl don't like her music, but also because of the reputation. She has not had good competitive reputation.

doug_log

On the Ice
Definitely will be Suzuki. And it's too bad. She really sells her program. There's also something about her jumps that I like...maybe it's the arc in the air?

In many ways she's very average, but her "sum" is MUCH greater than her "parts," don't you think?

I also have worries about Mirai's chances...

mishieru07

On the Ice
Definitely will be Suzuki. And it's too bad. She really sells her program. There's also something about her jumps that I like...maybe it's the arc in the air?

In many ways she's very average, but her "sum" is MUCH greater than her "parts," don't you think?

I think so. I thought Kozuka was a little undermarked. (3rd skater syndrome)

Akiko's skating moves people imo because she really sells her choreography. She's one of the few ladies skaters I saw who didn't look nervous or petrified to take to the ice during the GP series. And she genuinely seems to be skating from the heart and enjoying herself.

Well, I didn't expect her to medal at the GPF. Was absolutely thrilled to see her make the Olympic Team (although I felt so bad for Nakano) and I'm cheering for her all the way!

Mirai, I suspect, will be hit with DGs. Whether she actually deserves them or not is another question.