Ice Dancing - Free Dance (Mon. Feb 22 - 16:45) | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Ice Dancing - Free Dance (Mon. Feb 22 - 16:45)

midnightstar17

Spectator
Cool video of D/W celebration at USA house here http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=365111273834&ref=mf. Igor and Marina were both there. I thought they would split up but they didn't. Maybe they hopped to the Canada party later. About a 2/3 of the way through the video Marina makes it sound like she wanted D/W to win but that's either me reading into it too much or she is just saying that because she's talking to there family. Very cool vid though!

piano18

Rinkside
Cool video of D/W celebration at USA house here http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=365111273834&ref=mf. Igor and Marina were both there. I thought they would split up but they didn't. Maybe they hopped to the Canada party later. About a 2/3 of the way through the video Marina makes it sound like she wanted D/W to win but that's either me reading into it too much or she is just saying that because she's talking to there family. Very cool vid though!

huh? i don't hear anything of the sort lol!

KKonas

Medalist
If 'theme' were the judging criteria, perhaps you'd have a point. However,a good part of the judging criteria is the technical elements. Scott and Tessa's program was technically very difficult (lots of deep edges, and turns, very few crosscuts, almost no side-by-side skating with lots of partner holds). Scott and Tessa won the FD on the technical mark. Also, your note they they were "slower" has more to do with the fact that D/W's music was faster so they had to have faster steps to it. Thhis is just my opinion, but at times I felt it was riding the edge of control and that they were almost going for it a little too much. As for the skating, V/M carried a lot of flow through difficult footwork. That kind of speed (flow) is a far more important quality to an ice dance.

Well, not that V&M are not deserving, but V&M's FD technical score according to the protocols was only .30 higher than Davis & White so to say they "won" on the Technical Score is somewhat exaggerated in regard to technical difficulty. They won primarily on the Program Component score which was 57.32 vs 55.39 of Davis & White and of course D&W had a 1 pt deduction for an extended lift. V&M and D&W are both excellent teams with totally different styles. Some like one style better than the other and that's just as subjective as the Program Component scores.

**Carol**

Rinkside
Cute video, they are really happy. You can see a bit odf tanith on the back filming or takinking pic with a pretty smile on her face, she mus be proud of her friends.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
but V&M's FD technical score according to the protocols was only .30 higher than Davis & White so to say they "won" on the Technical Score is somewhat exaggerated in regard to technical difficulty

Huh, you're right, though I'm surprised at that. My apologies. I also want to say, I wasn't intimating that Davis & White weren't great. The top 2 were heads and tails above the others (despite Lobacheva's sentiment). I think, had D/W skated the FD they way they did at US Nats, they might have been golden. It would have been a nail biter for sure.

Marina did suggest Mahler. All these years since Katia used it, Marina's been saving it for "something special" . Tessa & Scott's OD music was also used by G&G . Marina could give Tessa & Scott no greater compliment ,IMO.

Thanks. I kind of figured. There was something in Tessa's expression last night that reminded me of Katia.

On a personal note: I happened to be in London, Ontario today. Everywhere I went everyone asked, "did you see the skating last night? Wasn't that amazing?" I wonder if Tessa & Scott have any idea how proud of them London is and how huge a reception they'll get when they officially come home.

screech

Final Flight
http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/2010/02/olympic_ice_dancing_fab_and_fa.html#more

A wesbite called Go Fug Yourself where they usually snark on celebrity outfits. They also happen to love figure skating and snarked on the ice dance costumes rather hilariously. Some examples:

Kerrs OD
Honestly, I just want her to save this costume and eventually recycle it for use in a routine called, "BRITNEY: THE CHEETO YEARS."

Kerrs FD
I REALLY wanted that routine to be about a zombie (him) who kidnaps and tortures a figure-skater (her), but apparently it's about "despair" or something. I don't know about you, but I despair for those pants. Was his desparation-filled character just changing the oil in his car?

Khoklova/Novitski FD
YES. Heather pointed out to me last night that this routine appears to be about Dumbledore's phoenix, Fawkes, and the wacky adventures he has with one of the more disaffected members of KIIS. I'd pay money to see that one live, folks.

And of course, from all the talk of wanting Tessa and Scott to be a couple...
They look so CLASSY and elegant. Which is not something I have EVER said about ice dancing, ever, in my entire life. I also decided last night that I am totally 'shipping them, and want them to get married, and I basically love them. Just let me finish this piece, and then I will start my fanfic!

Which then moved to DomShabs OD costumes and
I also want these two to get married, just to KEEP THEM OFF THE STREETS

gocaroline

On the Ice
Virtue&Moir just were sublime, I couldn't move my eyes from them, and when their program was over I had tears in my eyes. I know it makes no sense to compare disciplines, but if you see Figure Skating as an art form, they are the only ones who are in the same league Stephane is in.
:clap:

well said! I am so moved by their program and they won fair and square.

DriedgerC2

Spectator
I'm sorry that your favorite team did not win, but you're in minority. They deserved that win. Oh, Btw, D/W never beat them in FD all season.

beabstress

On the Ice
Does anyone have a link to Irina Lobacheva's comments about the results? Specifically, D/W's placement in comparison with D/S's?

Cadiva

On the Ice
I'm assuming V&M aren't in a serious relationship with anyone else, otherwise wouldn't their girlfriend/boyfriend be a bit surprised to see them telling an interviewer they are open to the idea of getting married to each other some day?

I don't think they did say that, Screech was wondering out loud if they had such an agreement as far as I understood it.

Kinga

Medalist
I did not have time to go through the whole thread, but I finally got some time to post.
First - I am thrilled with gold and silver medalists. This is what I dreamt of this season!!
When it comes to bronze medal, I would actually see F/S on the podium rather than Dom/Sha and B/A. I have never liked F/S skating, but they won me over this season. I thought that their OD and FD really stood out in comparison to both Dom/Sh and B/A. OD, although not very 'outgoing', was technically very good, and they were excellent in meeting ISU criteria for folk music theme and in interpretation. FD was simply gorgeous. B/A and Dom/Sh looked almost silly in comparison. I cannot get over their horrible costumes (both pairs) and lackluster choreography.

Few words about K/N - I thought they were great. It must be hard for them to be dropped so much in rankings - from being 3rd at 2008 Worlds to 9 at 2010 olympics. Seriously, I find it odd that they lost to sloppy P/B and very average, unpolished K/K (I did not find Kerrs to be interesting this season). In my opinion they deserved to be in top 6.

Ah, and the last dance of Del/Sch brought me to tears.. Really, my heart is breaking each time I think that they won only one World title (being their only Worlds medal). Kudos to them!

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Carol, you said
the move to Linichuck was good for their tecniche but i think they could have chose other choreagrapher.
. Was it? I thought Tanith was a little stiff-kneed and stiff-hipped and overall looked a bit fragile this season. Ben and she sometimes skated like a delicate lady and her "minder" in the fd. It was almost as if Linichuck was trying to change Tanith's persona and natural style. That doesn't work very welll on many athletes.

I agree the choreography was poorly chosen. The choreography and even the music for both of Linichuk's teams was sort of melodramatic/tacky/cheesy/Vegas - just the opposite of the direction in which ice dance is supposedly moving.