"Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes" - Yahoo! Article | Golden Skate

"Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes" - Yahoo! Article

reynycpr

On the Ice
"Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes" - Yahoo! Article

Admin: Didn't see this posted anywhere but feel free to combine this with any other Johnny thread if need be :)

Dated Saturday.

By Neate Sager:
"Canadian commentators fail to cool it with Johnny Weir jokes"

"The pair called Weir "a bad example" and suggested he go through gender testing, like the runner Caster Semenya. After all, in no way is the latter a touchy subject. "

Obviously don't know how true any of this is since I didn't watch RDS...but if it is...its very sad.

Did anyone here watch RDS coverage? Did they really make those comments?

Edited to add...
Caster Semenya is a South African runner who won a world gold last year and AFTER her victory people suggested that she may actually be a man because of her strong masculine appearance.

Last edited:

doug_log

On the Ice
Goldberg and Mailhot should be fired. Anything less would be an act of complacency.

Their comments infuriate me. If I were Canadian, I would be ashamed that citizens of my country - the least homophobic in North America - would be stupid enough to express this attitude on television. We all know people feel this way, but I would think that someone who has managed to create a career in broadcast journalism would know better.

Shame on them for insulting Johnny Weir and misrepresenting their countrymen in such a disgusting, backwards way. And I thought it was offensive whenever Scott Hamilton burst into laughter upon hearing Johnny's name...

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
If I were Canadian, I would be ashamed that citizens of my country....

If that's an actual quote, I am ashamed. I want to say that, on the whole, Canadians are a very tolerant people, and I hope that the people of this board won't paint us all with the brush of these morons. Johnny Weir is not for everyone, but commentators need to keep what they say to the facts and not air their own personal homophobic opinions.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
That's so mean!! I'm Canadian and I think it's horrible.. he does look a bit girlish, but don't say that on national television. I didn't hear this before since I was watching the English broadcast during the men.

Tigger

Final Flight
Another Canada beyond ashamed that was said by the RDS commenatators. Sadly, I also have to say I'm not surprised either. It's not the first time this pair have said something on air about a skater that never should have been said, so..Obviously, they've gotten away w/it before, so why should they keep their mouths shut?

Considering all the Networks, w/the exception of CBC, are taking part in these Games as one, I would hope this time they get fired. This just doesn't hurt RDS after all. This hurts *all* of the various networks in "The Canadian Olympic Network Consortium".

BigJohn

On the Ice
Goldberg and Mailhot should be fired. Anything less would be an act of complacency.

Their comments infuriate me.

I was with you until then. Then you said this:

If I were Canadian, I would be ashamed that citizens of my country...

Ashamed? Because of stupid sportscasters on TV? Annoyed, pissed off and flabbergasted for sure, but there are more important things to feel ashamed about being Canadian: our Prime Minister, the current federal government, the oil sands, our Prime Minister, Nickelback, the seal hunt, our Prime Minister... I'm sure other Canadians have a list of their own. But being in Canada, they had to apologize the very next day during the daily Olympics show. A request by GLBT groups.

Most educated people of younger generations will think these comments absurd and archaic. Some people of older generations won't think any of it because hell, they are just saying what everybody is thinking, according to them. And I'm pretty sure it's the case in many other countries also.

There are greater national shames. I'm pretty sure 90% of Americans feel Americans should be ashamed W. Bush OR Obama. France has Le Pen to be proud of; I know some Mexicans are pretty ashamed of their corruption problems; China has had businessmen putting poison in breast milk formula to make a profit and exporting such products, don't tell me they are proud of that...

Every countries have national shames, but also many things to be proud about. And if you'd been here, you'd know that there are many things about Canada that make this huge country something to be proud of. In far greater number and a lot more meaningful than what a couple of old douche bags said during an Olympic show in Quebec of all places, where gays can get married and adopt.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
As a Canadian, I'm not really "ashamed"; these commentators aren't a direct reflection of my country. Having said that, those commentators said stupid things and it bothers me that Johnny Weir's skating is considered "girly". I don't get why a performance that is ethereal and soft must necessarily be "feminine". Yes, Johnny is pretty-faced, and most likely gay. He also went out there and skated very well, handled disappointingly low scores gracefully, and makes no apologies for who he is. That commands a lot of respect. A lot of "big, bad dudes" can't manage to do those things.

Conversely, I have heard comments here and there that some female skaters "skate like a man." Equally annoying.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Obviously the commentators are idiots. I agree with previous posters though. I, as a Canadian, have no reason to be ashamed of these fellow citizens. I am disappointed in their actions, but certainly not ashamed.

All I know is that Canadians are more tolerant towards LGBTs than our Southern neighbours. Perhaps Americans should be ashamed of that.

doug_log

On the Ice
Ok, ok. I renege the "ashamed" part. I was heated up. Can't believe I forgot about Nickelback.

decker

On the Ice
Dorothy Hamill brought this up last night when she interviewed Johnny on NBC. Johnny just said (approximately) ... it would be great to have a bunch of boys growing up to be like me. And that's all I have to say.

I was shocked because the Canadians I know face-to-face are far less homophobic than my fellow Americans. They are far less extreme on most subjects.

Susan

millie

Medalist
Some Americans must be getting tired of downing the Russians and they have to start on someone else--OH YES the darn Canadians. At least we have same sex marriages. So don't start that gay bashing card.

BigJohn

On the Ice
Ok, ok. I renege the "ashamed" part. I was heated up. Can't believe I forgot about Nickelback.

I know. Nickelback is a powerful argument.

As a Canadian, I'm not really "ashamed"; these commentators aren't a direct reflection of my country. Having said that, those commentators said stupid things and it bothers me that Johnny Weir's skating is considered "girly". I don't get why a performance that is ethereal and soft must necessarily be "feminine". Yes, Johnny is pretty-faced, and most likely gay. He also went out there and skated very well, handled disappointingly low scores gracefully, and makes no apologies for who he is. That commands a lot of respect. A lot of "big, bad dudes" can't manage to do those things.

Is that slander, libel or something else?..
Dorothy Hamill brought this up last night when she interviewed Johnny on NBC. Johnny just said (approximately) ... it would be great to have a bunch of boys growing up to be like me. And that's all I have to say.

I was shocked because the Canadians I know face-to-face are far less homophobic than my fellow Americans. They are far less extreme on most subjects.

Susan

It takes balls to say something like that. Fabulous fairy balls.