2002 Olympics - Irina Slutskaya | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2002 Olympics - Irina Slutskaya

I

icenut84

Re: 2002 Olympics - Irina Slutskaya

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Every skater comes with a program. Yes, some have great programs whereas others have so so programs. If the program is going to be the determining factor of who wins an event...why bother to skate. Why don't the judges tell the skaters to drop off their videos and go home. The determining factor should be how the skater skate in the 4.5 seconds.[/quote]

I understand what you're saying but I don't think that's the point some people are getting at. The programme is not the determining factor, and shouldn't be, but content is an important thing. It's like if one skater does a clean triple toe loop, crossovers for 3 minutes and then a clean triple salchow, with a huge smile on their face, that's all well and good. But if another skater does a clean triple toe loop, spends 3 minutes doing unusual, difficult and varied steps and moves, and then does a triple salchow with a scratchy landing, with a slightly more concentrated look on their face, that doesn't mean the first skater should automatically win. Despite the landing on the second jump, skater B executed a lot more than skater A. Does that make any sense? Obviously this example is very exaggerated :) . It's very similar to the arguments about the pairs. Although S&P skated almost flawlessly, and B&S had an error, B&S performed a programme with a greater degree of difficulty and originality, and variety, in steps and connecting moves etc. That's the argument from those that agreed with B&S getting gold. The question is, does that extra content, and executing things that should get points according to the rule book, make up for an error.

As for Sarah and Irina, my personal opinion is that Sarah deserved to win the LP and Irina second, but I believe it was close between them. While Sarah may have given a good "performance", with a big smile and energy etc, Irina has much better technique and the things she did execute were cleaner (Sarah may have had the jump content over her but her jumps are often cheated. Some on the night were clean, but some were cheated quite a lot). There's a lot of arguments and issues to weigh up, and that's why there's for and against arguments on this result. Nothing wrong with that, it's interesting.

C

Callystarr

Sarah Hughes, yes skated a magnificent program in the LP, but the fact is 2 programs make the medal. Sarah Hughes 4th place in the SP was a blessing...I am baffled to this moment how she was able to place ahead of Maria Butyrskaya:rolleyes:

K

Kasey

The problem is, without giving Irina the silver medal, Sarah wouldn't have won...and Sarah was the ONLY one who deserved to win after the long program. It sucks that it kind of screwed Michelle, who I think did better than Irina...but Michelle winning would not have been fair either......SIGH>

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

It would have been fair b/c a competition is based on who is the best in TWO nights, not juse one.

I still can't understand IS's high pres. marks at SLC, she was awful. At least MK tried to sell her program still, even after the fall. Irina looked like she gave up before she even skated. She had so many bobbles and mistakes that added up.