How many "older" skaters here? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

How many "older" skaters here?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm glad to hear you are back to skating, but sorry to hear about the osteoporosis.

Yschntä

Rinkside
U guys just made my day. I was lately thinking a lot about being to old to start a sport in my age of 19. You proved me wrong!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My mother started skiing (no, not cross country) in her late 40's. She felt it was less stressful than being left as the babysitter for all the grandkids. She & dad continued skiing until he was 80 and she was 76.

treesprite

Final Flight
That's a great story. I hope I'm as energetic at 75 as some of the elderly people I know are.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, it gives you TWO years as adult skating age limit has been dropped to 21 in the US. If we are talking Obertsdorf, though, it's 28. I know many people who have taken skating up well into their 40s (or have returned to the sport 20-30 years later) who have been quite successful.

Also, FWIW, the oldest competitor I am aware of was 82 at the 2008 US Adult Nationals....Quite a nice performance and a SO for her!:)

treesprite

Final Flight
Wow, I can't imagine even being 82, let alone skating well enough for competition.

Today a rink buddy my age and I, who are both in new skates as of today (coincidence) that are split width C toe box/A heel, have concluded that in addition to the other areas, women's feet tend to spread out after a certain age. Anyone else have observations about the way age changes how skates fit?

Actually, it gives you TWO years as adult skating age limit has been dropped to 21 in the US. If we are talking Obertsdorf, though, it's 28. I know many people who have taken skating up well into their 40s (or have returned to the sport 20-30 years later) who have been quite successful.

Also, FWIW, the oldest competitor I am aware of was 82 at the 2008 US Adult Nationals....Quite a nice performance and a SO for her!:)

If she were in Quebec, she could compete as an adult at 18! (It's 25 in the rest of Canada).

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Our ice dancing group is performing next week at a meeting of a healthcare organization (who is hosting their meeting at a hotel with a rink). All to illustrate that it is possible to be healthy and active if you are an adult over 55!

treesprite

Final Flight
Given all the years I was off the ice and having to re-learn everything, I'm wondering if I would be able to do the adult figure skating thing now even though I made money off of skating in the past.