"Canadian gold exposes dance divide" - Article | Golden Skate

"Canadian gold exposes dance divide" - Article

reynycpr

On the Ice
What's a Gold medal win without a little hoopla. :)

"Canadian gold exposes dance divide", Yahoo! Article by Martin Rogers

Article doesn't sound too crazy... except for the quote from Scali.
“I don’t agree with the system. They [Virtue and Moir] are not real dancers. They are very technical and don’t really ‘dance’ on the ice.”

Shabalin:
"We skated the best performance and we have a bronze medal,” Shabalin said. “What can you do? We did everything we could."

I hope he meant that they skated the best that they could have skated and not that he believes they skated the best out of everyone last night, otherwise he's just delusional.

Cadiva

On the Ice
What's a Gold medal win without a little hoopla. :)

"Canadian gold exposes dance divide", Yahoo! Article by Martin Rogers

“I don’t agree with the system. They [Virtue and Moir] are not real dancers. They are very technical and don’t really ‘dance’ on the ice.”

Shabalin:
"We skated the best performance and we have a bronze medal,” Shabalin said. “What can you do? We did everything we could."

I hope he meant that they skated the best that they could have skated and not that he believes they skated the best out of everyone last night, otherwise he's just delusional.

It's already been pointed out elsewhere that his original comment in Russian said they gave the best performance THEY could and did the best THEY could.

This particular web site must employ a special editor whose job it is to make up headlines that have nothing to do with the article. What "divide?" A churlish gripe by Massimo Scali?

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's already been pointed out elsewhere that his original comment in Russian said they gave the best performance THEY could and did the best THEY could.

Let's not jump on the Russians again. I don't like that they used the belts but with his bad knees they probably had no other choice.
They were fortunate to win bronze as both their OD and FD looked far below B/A.

I just saw B/A on TV and they seem happy and were full of compliments for V/M and D/W. I appreciate their exceptional sportsmanship and it is a shame Russian teams can't handle disappointment with the class B/A are showing.

Competition and sportsmanship is what can make the Olympics great. Poor losers full of excuses and accusations is what brings them down.

figuristka

Medalist
I didn't object too much to Plushenko complaining about the system, he is used to the old and the competition was very close. I actually thought he would have won. However with the statement by Scali “I don’t agree with the system. They [Virtue and Moir] are not real dancers. They are very technical and don’t really ‘dance’ on the ice.”complaining about the system is ok, though its unfair to say they are not real dancers.

figuristka

Medalist
I actually think this new system improves the judging in ice dance. I think however iin singles it has more tweaking needed.

UM84

On the Ice
I think B & A are happy because the North American ice dance movement they started is now in full effect

Audrey19

On the Ice
I have sooooo much respect for Tanith, it's incredible how she can be so positive after being robbed off the podium in favor of a team with far inferior performances.
As long as Shabalin meant their own performance, fine, but they were not rightfully on that podium, so he should stop complaining!

Cadiva

On the Ice
Let's not jump on the Russians again. I don't like that they used the belts but with his bad knees they probably had no other choice.
They were fortunate to win bronze as both their OD and FD looked far below B/A.

I just saw B/A on TV and they seem happy and were full of compliments for V/M and D/W. I appreciate their exceptional sportsmanship and it is a shame Russian teams can't handle disappointment with the class B/A are showing.

Competition and sportsmanship is what can make the Olympics great. Poor losers full of excuses and accusations is what brings them down.

I'm not jumping on the Russians, my post pointed out that he actually said, in Russian, that they gave THEIR best performance, not THE best performance. I'm assuming you meant to quote the original thread starter.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm not jumping on the Russians, my post pointed out that he actually said, in Russian, that they gave THEIR best performance, not THE best performance. I'm assuming you meant to quote the original thread starter.

I posted early before my coffee. :)

I didn't mean to disagree with you at all. I thought the headline was bad but the statement as you clarified it from D/s was fine.

They looked like they did give it their best shot and this wasn't an easy season for them between the lack of training time and the distractions over the controversy.

They should be grateful IMO as it was hard to tell which was worse in their OD - the costumes or their skating. Most comments I am hearing is that the judging - for Ice Dancing - was pretty fair.

I congratulate them on their Bronze but would have gone a little nuts had they received Silver or Gold.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
I think B & A are happy because the North American ice dance movement they started is now in full effect

I don't think you can credit B/A for starting the North American Ice Dance movement. They certianly are significant contributors but there have been a number of other teams that deserve equal credit for the rise of dance in North America.

Judy Blumberg / Michael Seibert
Tracy Wilson / Robert McCall
Naomi Lang / Peter Tchernyshev
Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz

All should get some credit for their contributions.

Cadiva

On the Ice
I posted early before my coffee. :)

I didn't mean to disagree with you at all. I thought the headline was bad but the statement as you clarified it from D/s was fine.

They looked like they did give it their best shot and this wasn't an easy season for them between the lack of training time and the distractions over the controversy.

They should be grateful IMO as it was hard to tell which was worse in their OD - the costumes or their skating. Most comments I am hearing is that the judging - for Ice Dancing - was pretty fair.

I congratulate them on their Bronze but would have gone a little nuts had they received Silver or Gold.

I think they knew they weren't serious contenders for gold or silver to be honest, their CD was very impressive but their OD had already received mixed reviews and marks and their FD didn't particularly do well at the Europeans either. I think they just about deserved the Bronze medal spot but wouldn't have been out of sync in performance terms if they'd ended up fourth either.

mishieru07

On the Ice

I'll never understand this. Are we even watching the same team? :unsure:

I can get that their music choices and style may not appeal to everyone but to say V/M don't dance ... well I wonder who qualifies under the current system then. Solid technique is important in all styles of dance.

Chris and Nicky (or is it Simon? :laugh:) said it best: "They really dance with each other".

Well what's a gold medal without some hoopla? This is figure skating!

I'm prepared to run after the ladies event.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think you can credit B/A for starting the North American Ice Dance movement. They certianly are significant contributors but there have been a number of other teams that deserve equal credit for the rise of dance in North America.

Of course you are right and B/A have built on the legacy of the teams you mentioned.

It is nice to see that B/A are enjoying themselves this morning and that they are being treated like winners by the American media.
Not winners of a medal, but winners for their fine career and also the great sportsmanship they are showing after a 4th place finish.

They haven't ruled out competing again - and said they need a few days to think about it. For now they said they want to enjoy themselves, watch other events and take lots of pictures.

I will miss them but wish them best of luck in the future.
Thanks for all the memories Tannith and Ben.

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
Since Max and Oksana were unfairly on the podium, I don't think he has any room to be complaining. Max and Oksana should've been in 4th at the highest. Not to mention they cheated their way onto the podium. If he thinks they deserved gold or silver, then he must be out of his mind! Tanith and Ben are handling this whole situation with grace.

Cadiva

On the Ice
Since Max and Oksana were unfairly on the podium, I don't think he has any room to be complaining. Max and Oksana should've been in 4th at the highest. Not to mention they cheated their way onto the podium. If he thinks they deserved gold or silver, then he must be out of his mind! Tanith and Ben are handling this whole situation with grace.

Did you actually read any of the rest of this thread? He didn't say anywhere that they deserved gold or silver.

UM84

On the Ice

No disrespect to any of them, but B & A are the reason the popularity of Ice Dancing has risen and North America. The others may have started it, but Belbin and Agosto took it to another leverl

rain

Record Breaker
Scali's comment (if, indeed that's what he said — see Maxim) is absurd and put's him squarely in the sore loser pile. I think ice dance has improved leaps and bounds under the new system and to say Virtue and Moir don't actually dance is so totally ridiculous it's laughable, really.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tanith must have had a conversation with Johnny on how best to behave when being cheated out of a bronze medal! What great sportsmanship!