Ladies' LP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Didn't Kwak win Korean nationals if she is at the Olympics? I would think she would have had to win Korean nationals to make the Olympic team, I don't believe she was on the junior or senior GP curcuit.

Nope. Actually the winner was Kim Haejin, who is only 12 years old! (Same age as Yuna when she won her first Korean nationals). So she would be too young to go to either the Olympics or Worlds. (Heck, she might be too young to go to Junior worlds). The bronze medalist is also 12.

Also I believe Kwak was selected before Nationals anyway,

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Nope. Actually the winner was Kim Haejin, who is only 12 years old! (Same age as Yuna when she won her first Korean nationals). So she would be too young to go to either the Olympics or Worlds. (Heck, she might be too young to go to Junior worlds). The bronze medalist is also 12.

Also I believe Kwak was selected before Nationals anyway,

Yea Ji YOON is listed for juniors. Hm ... looks like there is a great future for Korean ladies FS, right, how many new are coming?

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I am looking forward to how the "new" young ladies will perform tonight. Never saw Chelsea Lee before; impressed! Also excited for Kwak and Lafuente. And I think Hecken has a great future(a bit junior skating yet).

Happy for Yan Liu to make the final and for Nagasu to do so well.

The third group is just so exciting. GO Alena, Akiko, Carolina, Laura, Ksenia and Elene :thumbsup:

As for the medals I hope; Rochette, Kim and Asada.

Well, all ladies, skate well, please .....
Give me happy surprises in my last sleepless night :clap::rock::bow: :love:

I don't think Kwak is going to get much better. She doesn't skate with much speed and her jumps are rather small. Her 3F also looks problemetic. She does have very good flexibility and spirals but not up to the levels of someone like Caroline or Mirai. Her artistry is not there yet, hence the low PCS scores. That could improve with better coaching and choerography but that takes money. I predict that she'll have an average career.

I think the stars of tomorrow are skaters like Nagasu (already a star but even bigger with more development)... and perhaps Kanako and Gao if they improve their jumping techniques and polish their presentation plus some of the young up and coming Russian girls.

I like Amanda Dobbs but she needs to decide whether she wants to focus on just one discipline, singles or pairs. If she wants to focus on singles, she'll need to add more jumps to her repetoir and improve her 3F. She has a lovely prescence on the ice and definitely has the potential to be a star.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I think the stars of tomorrow are skaters like Nagasu (already a star but even bigger with more development)... and perhaps Kanako and Gao if they improve their jumping techniques and polish their presentation plus some of the young up and coming Russian girls.

Nagasu, if she can rotate her jumps. It's so frustrating to see her get dinged for URs all the time. She skates like a champion, but ends up runner-up. I'm actually looking forward to seeing those Russian girls in four years' time. I'm sure they will impress me out of my wits. I'm not sure about Kanako and Gao. I'll have to see more.

BTW the ladies LP in, what, eight hours?!

skatemom1122

Final Flight
I cannot believe that the night we've all been anticipating for four years is finally here. Good luck to every skater, from Tugba Karademir all the way through Mirai Nagasu.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Less than 6 hours now.

OK, I know, it is far more difficult to do well in the long program - but let's cheer for the young ones too and for the not-favorites :clap:

figuristka

Medalist
Iam kind of hoping that Yuna Kim, Mao, and Joannie remain in the medal positions after the Free. Will be nervous for each of them but especially Joannie.
If someone is able to later upload Cynthia Phaneuf's Free please let me know as iam in Finland and cannot get up early enough for that group. Thanks to who ever posted the times.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
I have calculated the potential total element score for Mao and Yu-Na... so if they skate clean these are the sorts of technical scores they could get (but really, we're just trying to see the potential to score more than anything else). So yeah, please note that the ladies, in all probability, won't score as highly as this but I thought it would be fun to see how much potential they've got to score - and how close this potential is, technically speaking (and probably in the PCS too).

I'm assuming both will get level fours on their spiral sequence and spins, and level 3 on their step sequences. This is because at these Olympics, it's been quite easy to get the highest levels. I'm also assuming that both of them will get similar GOE to what they got here at the Olympics (or if they haven't performed it yet here in Vancouver, previous competitions).

Feel free to correct me.

Mao
3A
8.20 0.6 8.80​
3A+2T
9.5 0.6 10.10​
3F
5.5 0.2 5.7​
FSSp4
3.0 0.5 3.5​
SpSq4
3.40 2.00 5.40​
3Lo
5.5x 1.00 6.50​
3F+2Lo+2Lo
9.35 0.4 9.75​
3T
4.4x 1.00 5.40​
2A
3.85x 1.6 5.45​
FCoSp4
3.00 0.6 3.6​
SlSt3
3.30 1.0 4.30​
CCoSp4
3.50 0.5 4.00​

Base values: 62.50
Total: 72.50-74.0

Actually Mao plans 3F+2Lo for her 3rd jump element!! She did 3F at the 4cc but because of a slightly over-roated landing!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I cannot believe that the night we've all been anticipating for four years is finally here. Good luck to every skater, from Tugba Karademir all the way through Mirai Nagasu.

In 2006 I could barely keep myself together that day. Today, I'm getting around just fine. :laugh: So strange. I anticipated US Nationals a lot more...

This will be a great night nonetheless. And I'm glad the coverage is LIVE this time! I'm also glad Flatt is skating first out of the last group. If she can repeat what she did at SA/Nationals she could possibly get a medal if any/some/all of Rochette, Ando and Asada mess up. However, Asada is the only one in position to really catch Yuna now. Everyone else is too far back IMHO. Interesting that it's Kim that goes first this time. Not convinced Nagasu will be a factor after what happened at COC and Nats...

katymay

Medalist
I really hope Miki rocks it tonight, but I do find that her weight loss has maybe hurt more than helped her. She looks so thin now and her jumps aren't as huge as usual - please eat Miki! I think she might go all out tonight though and may sneak onto that podium.

Also, didn't Joannie and Miki beat Mao with two ratified 3a's in the LP at worlds last year? Maybe Mao only did one...I don't quite remember

Thank you for being another person that has noticed that. But it isn't just Miki-a numberof the japanese ladies, over the years, seem to shrink from month to month. And no names here-but some of those who were once strong jumpers with energy to spare now skate with little energy or stamina. Even our last Olympic winner from Japan seemed to drop a great deal of weight before the Olympics-not that it hurt her performance-but I do find it disturbing and wonder what is up with the Japanese culture? Federation? And looking back, this seemed to start with the most famous skater from Japan of all. (hint: great jumper)

Trewyn

Medalist
She's 18. But she's still young enough to go to juniors (19 is the age limit, I believe). She was sent to juniors (for the fourth time?!) as a consolation prize for not getting on the Olympic team.

Third time.
2007 -> Jr Worlds -> bronze
2008 -> Sr Worlds -> 16
2009 -> Jr Worlds -> bronze (after having heart trouble all week and falling on a sal in the FS)
2010 -> Jr Worlds -> gold pretty please? :D

About tonight; I'm really really really crossing my fingers for Joannie. Other than that I think there's going to be little to no surprises. Like the Men's event. Top 3 remains top 3. In this case I wouldn't mind that much because I really want Joannie to podium.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I really hope Miki rocks it tonight, but I do find that her weight loss has maybe hurt more than helped her. She looks so thin now and her jumps aren't as huge as usual - please eat Miki! I think she might go all out tonight though and may sneak onto that podium.

Also, didn't Joannie and Miki beat Mao with two ratified 3a's in the LP at worlds last year? Maybe Mao only did one...I don't quite remember

Not sure if any of us are cannibals ;)

I agree that she will come out and attack tonight. If she does I think she'll be on the podium somewhere. Depends on how Flatt and Rochette do, though.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker

I'm sure Miki eats enough!

:laugh:

I read an interview that she eats lots sweets without Nikolai knowing! Miki does seem thinner than last season, but she's a bit heavier than Yu-Na.