Ladies' LP | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also one more little Splat statistic:
NO falls in the top 11 skaters! Amazing. Now those pesky downgrades on the otherhand...

I am so proud of all the ladies. Barring a few little bobbles, they skated solidly and did themselves and their countries proud. I'm especially pleased that both Kim and Asada showed us what they were made of. Asada's triple axels (Golly, axels in the plural! Amazing.) were beautiful and so gutsy, and Kim lived up to her reputation. Rochette was able to do justice to her gorgeous program (possibly my favorite program of the year), and Mirai was a rock! So crisp and graceful and technically acute. Her spins are exquisite, and her jumps were splendid.

I have to say, I'm hugely relieved that everyone was able to rise to the occasion. I thought I wouldn't be watching this year's Olympics with my heart in my mouth, because Michelle and Sasha weren't there. No such luck! I was terrified through the first four skaters. I finally relaxed when Joannie skated. I just felt somehow that she would do well. But when YuNa and Mao skated, I was almost out of my mind with nerves. And I'm not sure if I was rooting for one or the other of them! I just wanted them to do their best, because they're both such extraordinary skaters. And they did! I'm breathing again.

I do hope that Mao will take comfort in her extraordinary achievement and her courageous attack of the routine. She is so delightful to watch. Her skating is so emotionally true, and as Kristi Yamaguchi said, so airy. I hope she stays in for another cycle. And YuNa--well, I feel incredibly lucky to have watched this competition as it happened. A memorable night in every respect.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Yu-Na might as well retire after this. If she completes 3 triples she'll still win with 210+ and just sweep every competition.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Daniel5555 not even close. Michelle has her beat on every level. Mirai will be next. Yu Na is a great jumper. there is so much more to figure skating buddy.

I understand and sympathize with your massive disappointment at tonight's results, but kyla, really, there is no need to put down Yuna Kim's skating every single chance you get.
(And although I agree with you on some level regarding her skating, she is way more than just a jumper. Come on, man.
You seem to refuse to give her a chance.)

And that goes for all the constant Mao bashers, but I guess they are off drinking and celebrating right now.

But I do agree that Daniel5555 was a bit too overexcited.
Was he/she joking?
Michelle is simply irreplaceable!!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Too exhausted to say much. My congratulations and gratitude to the top ladies tonight. I only wish NBC could have shown more of them. :clap:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh come on you guys. Comparing Michelle Kwan to Yu-Na Kim and arguing over which one is better is like comparing apples to oranges. Kim may have the OGM, but Michelle has the record and the titles. The OGM is not a lifetime acheivement award, as Michelle can attest to. IF Yuna skated for as long as Michelle did at the same level she did and had similar or better results, then maybe we can talk. They are both beautiful, amazing skaters with huge achievements under their belts, and they will BOTH be remembered in history; just for different things. Saying that one is "better" than the other is just stupid! Just because Nastia Liukin won the OGM, does that automatically make her better than Khorkina? I think not.

But here's the thing: Kwan was around for what, 12, 13 years? Yuna has only been around 4. The HUGE question now is whether she will "cut and run" like most other recent ladies' OGMs, or whether she will stick it out another cycle (or even another season). She has a World championship and an OGM already- she's gotten all there is to achieve in skating. And now she is basically set for life in Korea. She can retire now and go out on top.

I thought Asada would retire as well but she really looked down on herself. I think she will want redemption, and in a big way. However, I must say considering the circumstances, she did tremendously. Her effort would have won the 2006 and 2002 competitions by a landslide. It was unfortunate she had to come up at the same time as a phenom like Yuna Kim, but then again, it was the same issue in the US with Cohen coming up when Kwan was on top.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
By the way, other skaters were great as well. Especially Mao. Then Mirai really showed a magnificient performance (and that's being at the end). About Joannie, I can't even find the words.
It was all amazing.

UM84

On the Ice
Yu-Na might as well retire after this. If she completes 3 triples she'll still win with 210+ and just sweep every competition.

I think she does just because of all the press she deals with. I know she wants to get away from that

Cadiva

On the Ice
I enjoyed watching Mao and she'll go down in history for performing two 3As but I don't think her linking sequences or her step sequences were as good myself.

Technical Element Base Value Grade of execution Score
Triple Axel 8.20 0.80 9.00
Triple Axel + Double Toeloop 9.50 0.20 9.70
Triple Flip + Double Loop 7.00 0.60 7.60
Flying Sit Spin 4 3.00 0.80 3.80
Spiral Sequence 4 3.40 2.60 6.00
Triple Loop 5.50 0.60 6.10
Triple Flip (downgraded) + Double Loop + Double Loop 5.17 -0.48 4.69
Single Toeloop 0.44 0.00 0.44
Double Axel 3.85 1.00 4.85
Fly. Combination Spin 4 3.00 0.80 3.80
Straight Line Step Sequence 3 3.30 1.10 4.40
Change Foot Combination Spin 4 3.50 0.80 4.30
55.86 64.68

Everyone's mentioning three triple As but both Robin Cousins and the BBC results sheet only have her getting two triples.

PS: Now I really am going to bed

silverlake22

Record Breaker
OMG I'm so excited for Sochi 2014! Ksenia and Mirai did so well and Min-Jung is one to watch, and then of course there's Kanako, Christina Gao, Polina Shelepen, Elizaveta, etc and likely Yuna and Mao again.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
me. the components are not there yet but they soon will be. OGM favorite for Sochi in my opinion.

Oh, I don't know about the NIGHT, but definitely a VERY close second! Mirai did the best performance FOR HERSELF. I was so scared for her at first; when I saw her talking to Frank I thought she looked like a scared kitty, lol! But once she started she seemed a lot more confident and relaxed than she did in the SP, and I think it showed in her scores. Still not the same spark that she had at Nationals, but she NAILED all of her elements. I think she was so intent on not letting the same thing that happened at Nationals happen again and she didn't quite perform as much. She hasn't quite got the whole package together yet but once she strikes the perfect balance between performance and technical ability, WATCH OUT WORLD.

Of anything, I think the fact that she got no downgrades was HUGE for her. We all know what a reputation she has for them and just how long it took for her score to come up (you know the judges were eyeballing ALL her jumps) but for her to get ratified is really big and bodes very well for her future!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
What the hey, I'm wide awake so I'll jump in. For me, totally subjective, Yuna moves me emotionally much like Michelle did, maybe even more. And Yuna does it under a system that produces a lot more programs I DON'T like than ones I do because of the point system requirements -- but Yuna can get all the requirements in and still make a program watchable and fun and complicated but not overly busy.

Michelle at her prime I think would have done well with this system, but Michelle's later programs got a lot of criticism for being crossover, crossover, jump, same basic program layout year after year (of course many skaters do the same), which brings me to what I truly believe is significant, and that is Michelle skated under 6.0 and Yuna under CoP. I really think comparing them meaningfully is somewhat difficult because of that. For me, Michelle is the Michelle of the 6.0 era <g> and Yuna is the Michelle of the CoP era. If Yuna were to stay in longer and win more world gold medals, then Michelle might become the Yuna of the 6.0 era in my mind. But Yuna already has an amazing percentage of medals, as it was just posted today in another thread -- isn't it like 100% in senior competition of medaling, many of them gold? it would be great for her to continue but really that record is pretty impressive even if she doesn't have anywhere near Michelle's # of World Golds, of course. So I could understand if she feels she's done all she wants to do in competitive skating and is ready to move on.

Hmm, well, now I think about it, in terms of number of World/Oly medals maybe Yuna's the Kristi of the CoP era, but in terms of me subjectively feeling she has so much "it" factor and all around wonderful skills (yes, I know, not perfect in the spins and spirals but still pretty great, no one's perfect) she is for me the Michelle of the CoP era, but I can't pick one over the other because their results are under very different eras in figure skating.

Yah, and that and $4 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Why do I post these ramblings?

pshla

Rinkside
First post! Congratulations to Yuna, Mao and Joannie.

Joannie, oh Joannie......you have made me so proud as a Canadian. You deserve this bronze medal and so so much more, for your skating and

There's no doubt that Yuna Kim is the greatest right now. She's really got it all. Well deserved medal, but that score of 150-something is an absolute disgrace to the sport, imo.

Mao....Cheer up! A silver is nothing to be ashamed of, but I guess it's hard to watch somebody else live your olympic gold medal dream. To be honest, of all the ladies skaters, I think Mao loves skating the most and wants the gold medal the most. (Just my impression, please don't kill me!) I know everyone else cares too, but it just kills me whenever I see Mao look so disappointed.

Mirai: The next great American female skater. She's really got it all too! I've watched Yuna since she was a junior, and I've got to say....Mirai is even better than the younger Yuna! She's got the jumps, artistry, positions and flexibility (last 2 being Yuna's greatest weakness imo)!!!!! So proud that she did so well!!

I am of the opinion that the triple axel and quad should be worth more under the COP. These are tremendously difficult jumps and can take so much out of a skater's transitions, stamina, etc, for which the skaters should be compensated accordingly. Obviously it's too late to discuss COP's influence on the olympic results, since the rules have been in place. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be amended to give figure skating a more exciting future. I know edges and footwork are important, but we already have a sport that stresses these things. It's call ice dancing.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
*Sniper*
But I do agree that Daniel5555 was a bit too overexcited.
Was he/she joking?
Michelle is simply irreplaceable!!
Ok, whatever :) But Yuna is the best for me!
Really she is at least legendary now. She may retire if she wants. There were legendary skaters who never had gold. She has every gold medal in existence and world records, and historical importance. Nothing else can do much to her. Nothing else she needs. But still if she retires we as fans of skating will lose a lot. But that up to her what to do with her life.

Last edited: