Ladies' LP | Page 66 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

christinaskater

Medalist
Yu-Na KIM was absolutely exquisite! She simply delivered one of the greatest performances in history!!!! Simply beautiful

Mao asada also made history by landing 2 triple axels in the Olympics

Joannie so well deserved is her ode to her mom who just passed away!

Mirai was simply phenomenal! Her first major competition and she scored 190 points! WOW!!!! She is definitely the one to watch out for in Soichi!

pshla

Rinkside
I think Yuna retires for sure, I think Mao will be around as long as her body allows her to

I agree. I think for Mao, skating is truly her life. She's still young. She has another shot at the olympic gold.

You think Mao would have won under 6.0 system?

Absolutely.
6.0, for all its faults, was a system that rewards difficult elements that push the sport forward.

However, since I think Yuna is such a wonderful all-around skater, she deserved her win today 100% (but not the score)

UM84

On the Ice
*Sniper*

Ok, whatever :) But Yuna is the best for me!
Really she is at least legendary now. She may retire if she wants. There were legendary skaters who never had gold. She has every gold medal in existence and world records, and historical importance. Nothing else can do much to her. Nothing else she needs. But still if she retires we as fans of skating will loose a lot. But that up to her what to do with her life.

You can't use records though because some of the greatest skaters competed under a different system.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
If Mao's staying, I hope she gets a major makeover reg: music cuts/ choices, costumes, coaching situation, jump layout and overall polish.
B/c otherwise someone young will overtake her very soon.

gold12345

Medalist
Yuna was great but who else thinks Mirai had the best performance of the night? ;)

Yes, I think I agree. Yu-Na seemed pretty reserved while she was skating. The entire performance was beautiful, but I didn't feel much real emotion from her. Usually, at the end of a brilliant program, the audience is so captivated that they are already clapping well before the music ends. Now, I certainly didn't expect this Canadian crowd to go wild for a non-Canadian skater, but it kind of felt like they didn't even realize it was the end of the program because Yu-Na was so reserved emotionally throughout the program. Does that make sense?

Justafan

On the Ice
Well watching it on NBC was a letdown...I missed most of the earlier skaters and had to sit through Nordic Combined (which is about like watching paint peel) before I could see the last groups.

mhu714

On the Ice
I think Yu na will retire but Mao is hopefully staying and yay again to Mirai.

Why in the world would she retire? I know she's been under incredibly intense pressure but that should be at least a little less now that she stood up to it and won the gold in smashing fashion. I guess she could tour with SOI or some Asian equivalent but there's nothing like competition and she's totally in her prime. She could win in '14 easily as long as she stays in shape. Mao is the one who should go. She'll never beat Kim unless Kim makes several errors, and Mao has some serious flaws in her skating even though those 3a's are stupendous. I'm really excited about how great Nagasu skated, and that her triples were not UR. If anyone can catch up to Kim, it's her (though I doubt it).

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Okay I can't sleep at all! TOO. HAPPY.

This has to be probably the best ladies final flight we've seen in a long time. What started out as a splatfest, ended with 6 great performances. Rachael did her thing and did a good job but was kinda slow. Miki rebound but I wish she had a little more fire. Yuna.... FINALLY!!! I've been waiting for that since she became a senior skater! I love it how she kinda let it go at the end of her performance. I think South Korea is at a State Of Emergency from celebrating this gold! Mao... despite the minor mistake on the 2nd half, I'm very proud of her that she made history with those 2 3As. However, I want to see the old Mao again... the light and gentle version (pre TAT). JoRo once again won my heart. At that point, I didn't care if she finished 2nd or 3rd, I was already proud of her. And to end the night... the amazing Mirai! Mirai's on firah again! Glad she and Frank worked things out after Nationals and skated lights out! She also ended the "Pimp Spot" curse by going clean (no more memories of Hubert or Irina letting gold slip away). She is a force to be reckon with. Unless Yuna retires, I do see Mirai winning a World title sometime during the Sochi cycle (just not in Torino).

And finally, :clap: at the judges for once again judging fairly! However, I do have to ask this... how in the heck Lovely Laura scored so high?! :eek:

This has been a fun night and I'm sure we'll be remembering this final flight for a while. :agree:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
UM84
You can't use records though because some of the greatest skaters competed under a different system.
Not comparing them, she just has them as they had them. It means they were the best in their time and she is the best in this time.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Agree that I think Yu na will retire. She's got what she came for, and as someone else said, she's set for life. If she kept competing, I'd seriously fear for her safety; media attention was at such a frenzy before Vancouver; can you imagine what it will be like now?!?! If I were her, I'd go find some nice secluded hole to hide in for a little bit until things calm down and the crazy fans have come off their high.

Mao, from the look on her face, she is NOT happy. I could totally see her going for redemption in Vancouver, especially since she has a Russian coach to back her up.

Caro; she'll retire. I think Rachel will retire, or do the Emily Hughes thing. Miki will retire. Joannie will probably retire; I can't imagine her even considering topping this Olympics in any way. Her skates were like sacred skates; you just don't mess with that.

I don't really know where Mao will go from here; except that I'm sure she'll still compete. Compared to Yuna, she still seems very much like a girl, even though they are near the same age. Maybe it's just her physical appearance, but Yuna skates like a woman, whereas I thought Mao's skates looked a little heavy and contrived. I don't know if she can improve on that; if I were her I would try something TOTALLY different next year; something a little lighter and more joyful and draws the audience in. I'd think she'd do SO much better that way.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Going through the NBC coverage now. I'm at Yuna Kim's skate. Nice to have all this stuff in HDTV.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Everyone's mentioning three triple As but both Robin Cousins and the BBC results sheet only have her getting two triples.

PS: Now I really am going to bed

Actually let's give credit where credit is due. Mao did four triples

Which brings me with more STATS!
Triples count:
Joannie Rochette: 7
Alena Leonova: 7
Yu-na Kim: 6
Mirai Nagasu: 6
Miki Ando: 6
Ksenia Markrova: 6
Larua Lepisto: 5
Rachael Flatt: 5
Akiko Suzuki: 5
Cynthia Phaneuf: 5
Min Jung-Kwak: 5
Mao Asada: 4
Kiira Korpi: 4

Complete Triple-Triple combos
Yu-na Kim - 3Z-3T
Laura Lepisto - 3T-3T
Alena Leonova - 3T-3T
Ksenia Markrova 3T-3T
Sarah Hecken 3T-3T
Elena Glebova 3T-3T

mhu714

On the Ice
Who's gonna go to Worlds? I hope Rachael and Mirai go so we can get 3 ladies for Worlds next year.

lavender

Record Breaker
Why in the world would she retire?

I don't know how yu na's back really is but that is the reason she said she was retiring after the Olympics no matter the result. She made this comment like 2 years ago so who knows if things has changed.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
If you're comparing the stature of the two skaters, rather than their skating and performing ability, then I'm afraid there is no one in figure skating you can compare Yu Na Kim to. She is the biggest celebrity in her country and revered to a degree that goes far beyond sports fandom. You'd have to compare her to such national treasures as Pelé and Wayne Gretzky, and even that sells her a little short as Pelé and The Great One shared their achievements with a team.

And this was long before she won the Olympic gold. The pedestal they're going to put her on now is going to be so high it will be a space tether.

breeze

Rinkside
Yuna was great but who else thinks Mirai had the best performance of the night? ;)

I did enjoy Mirai's performance the most tonight. She surprised me, and what a nice surprise it was!
(I didn't see what she did in Nationals, and as some poster said here that it had even more fire than tonight, I am so going to go watch it.)
I have to admit, though, I could enjoy it more because I got less nervous after Yuna and Mao's programs.
My eyes were tied at the TV screen throughout Yuna's performance, and I'm not sure if I was breathing when Mao attempted the second 3A!
Oh, and I was so much touched by what Joannie did..