Ladies' LP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

dgel

On the Ice
Sorry dgel. :( I do get carried away at times.
Hey we all do; it's nice to remember that for all the skaters competing this is the highlight of their careers, and we can hope that they achieve their best tonight. I am certainly hoping to see great skates from some who will likely be competing for the last time- Sebastyen for instance, Sara Meier perhaps....

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Thanks Beth. :) I would love a link.

Actually you may be onto something there about Mao getting equal PCS as Kim, given that in the long there's more time to "make up" for the lost time setting up for her triple axels. I just wished that Mao-chan could have a better coach and choreo because she could honestly be doing so much better - costumes, jumps, everything. Guess it's a testament to how naturally talented she is that she is currently matching it with Kim. In fact, I think Mao is maybe a bit more talented than Yu-Na; it's just Yu-Na has been shaped better to suit this current system.

I'm really proud of the way Kim handled herself after she felt the crowd going crazy for Mao, and hearing that she'd scored a personal best in the SP. She didn't flop like I feared, especially not on her flip which has been her achilles heel this season. I want the long program to be awesome, with Joannie (especially her, God she deserves it), Miki, Mao and Yu-Na skating to their full potential.

I feel saddened that there are all these fans of the sport wishing for their favourite's nemesis will fall and splat and for all their hard work to come undone at the biggest moment of their careers. I for one can admit I have had some animosity towards Mao in the past because of her fans and their poor sportsmanship, but after seeing Mao so sad if she performs poorly usually does the trick and I'm back on the Mao-wagon. :lol:

Here is the link: back on the Mao-wagon. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Here is the link: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-their-quot-Yu-Na-beating-quot-LPs&highlight= . It's an analysis of the skaters' current programs, and, for some, the programs they last skated that beat Yu-Na (Miki's 2007 World LP, etc.)

For PCS scores, what Mao does have going for her with the 3A's is that they are at the beginning of the program as well, which means the best transitions into other jumps (as well as her step sequence, etc.) are towards the end of the program and will be more fresh in the judges' minds. I'd have to agree with Mao being more naturally talented... if you go back and look at the programs Yu-Na and Mao did as Juniors, you can definitely see a difference. Things like jumps and extension seem to have come more naturally to Mao than to Yu-Na, who got their with steady practice and coaching... which also has a lot to say about the steady improvement seen in Yu-Na's skating over the years as opposed to Mao's rollercoaster ride over the past few seasons.

LOL When I read your comment about Yu-Na being better shaped for the current system, I immediately thought of Brian Orser (her coach). I just finished watching the first episode of "Be Good Johnny Weir," and while everyone makes all these comments praising Johnny's unique attitutde, they ask Orser about a quote Johnny made regarding required elements in spins (something along the lines of there are so many spins required and changes of edge and position that we get to tired to do the jumps) and Orser responds by saying "You know what, the rules are the rules, and you need to play by them and know exactly how to get points and putting together points. It's all about putting together points. It's math." So if anyone could make Yu-Na a well-oiled machine to fit the system, it's definitely him! hehehe.

For the 3F-3Lo, If Mao had been planning it for 4CC's (assuming the commentators were right), then it wouldn't be too late to put it into her program. Sometimes skaters change jumps at the last minute mid-program if they miss a jump on a combination, they tack it on later, etc., and this is a combination Mao has competed with before (and in the second half of her program! I believe it also was a program that beat Yu-Na), so it isn't completely unrealistic that she could decide to go for it. And it could be the case where she could go into it and NEED it to win Gold, but also be in the position that she will get Silver regardless of missing the pass or a downgrade, etc. (it's likely that Joannie and Miki might not get the scores to challenge her for silver and Mao would have to be terrible to wind up in 3rd); she's also stated she will be "going all out". There's definitely no way she will give up on the 2 3A's, and since she never considered ditching them at any point in the season, "going all out" could be adding that 3-3. Who knows, she could just "feel it" while skating and go for it. Either way, we'll know soon enough :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Nope. Plan your skate, skate your plan. It doesn't matter what anyone else does. :cool:

ITA.

Why doesn't Mao try a 3F 3L seq instead of 3F/2L? Atleast a 3F 2A seq.

Good point.

BTW, it would have been more exciting if the scores among the top three were closer to the rest. This is similar to the situation in the men's event. The rest of the skaters are so close to each other fighting for the top 4 or 5 finish (I forgot, is it the top 5 or top 4 that makes the gala?), but it just does not excite me as much as the fight for the podium.

miki88

Medalist
Marrymeyunakim, I hope your feeling is right :). Although, I still don't like Mao skating after Yuna and with "Bells". Too much contrast and perhaps not a good one for Mao.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Marrymeyunakim, I hope your feeling is right :). Although, I still don't like Mao skating after Yuna and with "Bells". Too much contrast and perhaps not a good one for Mao.

At least the Bond Girl isn't her LP.

Yuna's LP is less in-your-face lightness and fluff campy fun that was Bond Girl SP.

I couldn't imagine the mood if Yuna was doing Bond LP and Mao Bell LP right after that.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Meltdown Predictions

It happens in almost every major competitions, though I don't enjoy seeing it. :disapp:
Here are my predictions.

1. Ando Miki
She looked totally lost in the SP and did not have usual height in her jumps. Chances are she will forward-land some jumps.
She appeared way too skinny and made me wonder if she has overdone trying to loose weight. It doesn't help that Morozov was jinxing her by trash talking about coaches adequately conditioning their athletes shortly before the games.

2. Alena Leonova
Though I like her engaging personality on ice, I have seen her falter when she fails to get into her party mood.
During FS of 09 GPF, she botched her first jump and ended up messing up the whole program.
I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen today.

3. Mao Asada
Yu Na jitters might haunt her again. It did her in 06 World Juniors, 06 GPF, and 08 Worlds when she had to follow a strong FS performance by Kim.
If Kim fails to deliver a decent performance, Asada has a good chance for the OGM. (07 Worlds and 08 GPF)

Carolina Kostner might be an obvious pick, but I don't think she will meltdown completely.
She seems to have taken a safer path with easier jumps, and mastered the art of 2 footing as a contingency plan. :laugh:

Lastly, God bless Joannie Rochette's soul and let her have a FS just as fabulous as her SP.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
It happens in almost every major competitions, though I don't enjoy seeing it. :disapp:
Here are my predictions.

1. Ando Miki
She looked totally lost in the SP and did not have usual height in her jumps. Chances are she will forward-land some jumps.
She appeared way too skinny and made me wonder if she has overdone trying to loose weight. It doesn't help that Morozov was jinxing her by trash talking about coaches adequately conditioning their athletes shortly before the games.

2. Alena Leonova
Though I like her engaging personality on ice, I have seen her falter when she fails to get into her party mood.
During FS of 09 GPF, she botched her first jump and ended up messing up the whole program.
I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen today.

3. Mao Asada
Yu Na jitters might haunt her again. It did her in 06 World Juniors, 06 GPF, and 08 Worlds when she had to follow a strong FS performance by Kim.
If Kim fails to deliver a decent performance, Asada has a good chance for the OGM. (07 Worlds and 08 GPF)

Carolina Kostner might be an obvious pick, but I don't think she will meltdown completely.
She seems to have taken a safer path with easier jumps, and mastered the art of 2 footing as a contingency plan. :laugh:

Lastly, God bless Joannie Rochette's soul and let her have a FS just as fabulous as her SP.

At '08 Worlds, Mao won didn't she? Sure she fell before her triple axel but I still thought it was a fantastic performance aside from that.

Agreed about Mao and the possibility of sneaking the gold medal right under Yu-Na's nose.

I think that if Yu-Na doesn't have a good skate, it will be due to things besides jitters. The way she handled the situation after Mao skated was, well, exhilirating and you could tell she put herself into warrior mode. :love:

And I want Joannie to get a medal. Lord oh Lord does she deserve it!

RumbleFish

Rinkside
At '08 Worlds, Mao won didn't she? Sure she fell before her triple axel but I still thought it was a fantastic performance aside from that.

Agreed about Mao and the possibility of sneaking the gold medal right under Yu-Na's nose.

Asada slid into the boards on her face during the FS after a solid performance by Kim.
She lost the FS, but eventually won the competition with lead she had from SP and questionable PCS marking, IMO.

A lackluster FS by Kim i.e. two falls maybe? could give a boost to Mao having a SOHL.
It happened before and could happen again.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Yu Na will win, barring a mini-meltdown like she had at Skate America. But it is worth noting that Yu Na rarely skates a perfect long program. She usually doubles (or even singles) a jump. She even fell at Skate America. She typically wins with only 5 triples. I don't think any of these mistakes alone will cost her the gold. But the ice is slippery. You never know for sure what's going to happen.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I think Yu Na will win, barring a mini-meltdown like she had at Skate America. But it is worth noting that Yu Na rarely skates a perfect long program. She usually doubles (or even singles) a jump. She even fell at Skate America. She typically wins with only 5 triples. I don't think any of these mistakes alone will cost her the gold. But the ice is slippery. You never know for sure what's going to happen.

Mao hasn't skated a clean long program in ages too :shrug:

screech

Final Flight

Me too, but I only want her to get one if she skates like she deserves it, not because of being Canadian or for sympathy. If she skates well she'll deserve at least a bronze. But really, with how things are going with her, I don't think it will matter to her either way if she wins gold, or if she comes in 24th right now. I'm hoping she feels the worldwide hug that was there for her in the SP and skates lights out, but if she doesn't that she still feels the love and adoration everyone is having for her right now and knows how proud we all are of her.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Me too, but I only want her to get one if she skates like she deserves it, not because of being Canadian or for sympathy. If she skates well she'll deserve at least a bronze. But really, with how things are going with her, I don't think it will matter to her either way if she wins gold, or if she comes in 24th right now. I'm hoping she feels the worldwide hug that was there for her in the SP and skates lights out, but if she doesn't that she still feels the love and adoration everyone is having for her right now and knows how proud we all are of her.

:) Agreed.

Mao did a clever upbeat Hungarian Dance in 2007, and she won with it. Imo, she has not had the experience of life's sadness to perform Bells. These Ladies in figure skating lead a sheltered life, and can not be expected to grasp the mood of the music. Nevertheless, I believe the competition will be based on the Technical. One mistake by either Yuna or Mao gives the opponent a big advantage. If there are no mistakes by either skater, the Boards will be flooded with 'wuzz robbd'.

Hoping to see that little Australian Lady skate again.

RumbleFish

Rinkside

Kim could have a meltdown if she botches her first 3Lz-3T, like she did in at SA.
But I don't think it will happen here.
She looked pretty darn solid in her SP.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I hope Cheltzie Lee has the skate of her life! LOL She trains at a rink not too far from where I live, and today my aunt was talking her and the kids going to ice skating lessons. :)