Ladies' LP | Page 71 | Golden Skate

Ladies' LP

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yup. Let them have their lovefest.

It's encouraging for Americans that we have two skaters in the top 10 again...the medal streak of 30+ years comes to an end, bummer but everyone was expecting that, really. I hope they can both stay healthy and rock it at the world championships. I also hope Rachel doesn't retire because we need someone like her. Apart from Mirai, there's nobody else that is top 10 material...MAYBE Christina Gao in a couple of years but Wagner? Hit and miss...Zhang? Hit her peak already I think...Czisny? Don't need to say anything.

sson4won

Spectator
I want Yuna to stay in FS.

I have not seen her 7 triple program, her with 3-3loop program, her 3axel and the various programs she'll bring in.
Everyone said that she has some room to develope which I also agree.
I want to see more developed and perfect YUNA.

So please please don't leave us. Stay here.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
That'd be amazing. Some of the South Korean commercials are just so much fun!

Btw, did Kwak Min Jung make the finals? I haven't caught any of her performances yet. My Korean friend just emailed me and called her the "next Yuna Kim".

Bby Yuna was thirteenth!

aurora100

Final Flight
This is the best damn Olympics ladies figure skating competition in terms of the top 4 skaters ever. The winner skated two monstrously difficult programs back to back with ease and even a sense of humor. The silver medalist landed 3 triple axels! The bronze medalist landed 7 ratified triples, the most out of anybody in the free. And Ms. 4th place skated a perfect short followed by a perfect long to come in 4th at the Olympics despite having a dismal season internationally prior to this. We have got to do this again. :biggrin:

totally. watching Mirai skate I was thinking in another Olympic event, she could have won the gold!

breeze

Rinkside
I like what the woman on NBC commented on ladies free skate a few minutes ago (sorry don't know her name) - "There's only one winner, but there were a lot of victories." I find it especially true for the last group of skaters. They all showed what they could do. I am saddened to look Mao disappointed because she didn't have the perfect skate, but she also wrote history landing three 3 axles in an Olympic competition.

And regarding Yuna's performance not having the 'fire', which would stir up the audience toward the end, I think her free program was designed to have more flow like water streams than fire. This is more like her Lark Ascending than Scheherazade, you don't really know when is the climax, (there's no place in the program you can clap to the rhythm of the music) but you can't take your eyes off of her until you realize the program is almost over. And I find it extremely attractive, which I don't see much from other skaters. Now that's an opinion from her fan, but I just wanted to say that I think a program can be still very gorgeous with less powerful music.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We will never agree on who the best female skater of all time is because figure skating doesn't have a single number attached to an athlete like 100m dash.
However, I do believe that, in order to be considered as one of the best skaters of all time,
the OGM is not a sufficient, but a necessary condition.

Sorry Michelle. I know it's just a piece of metal with a strip of nylon (polyester?), but in my opinion, it bears that much significance.

I don't see how anyone can dispute that Michelle is one of the best skaters of all time. In my opinion, she is the best in terms of her body of work, her technical ability and her competitive record, Olympic gold or not.

treshot

Rinkside
That'd be amazing. Some of the South Korean commercials are just so much fun!

Btw, did Kwak Min Jung make the finals? I haven't caught any of her performances yet. My Korean friend just emailed me and called her the "next Yuna Kim".

She did make it into top 24 and skated free, and was placed 13th, which really exceeded everyone's expectation. I haven't seen her skating yet (not counting some really low quality videos), including this Olympics, so I can't comment on her skating but everyone I know has said that she has great potentials - she's a better spinner than jumper at this point, so different style from Yuna. This Olympics was just her second senior-level competition (first was 4CC) so we'll just have to see a little to know her.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
Hey, the good news is that at least no one will ever need to record gold medal performances here :) We'll get another replay of the entire competition again tonight too, along with plenty of Yuna I'm sure. They also replayed Mao's short a few times Wednesday... and once of Joannie's

pshla

Rinkside
And regarding Yuna's performance not having the 'fire', which would stir up the audience toward the end, I think her free program was designed to have more flow like water streams than fire. This is more like her Lark Ascending than Scheherazade, you don't really know when is the climax, (there's no place in the program you can clap to the rhythm of the music) but you can't take your eyes off of her until you realize the program is almost over. And I find it extremely attractive, which I don't see much from other skaters. Now that's an opinion from her fan, but I just wanted to say that I think a program can be still very gorgeous with less powerful music.

These types of Yuna programs are my favorite. She just has the "it" factor. She could be doing nothing but crossovers for 30min, and I'd still be glued to the TV.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I don't see how anyone can dispute that Michelle is one of the best skaters of all time. In my opinion, she is the best in terms of her body of work, her technical ability and her competitive record, Olympic gold or not.

NO! What did I say about comparing Yuna and Michelle?!

THIS IS YUNA'S NIGHT. SHE DOES NOT NEED A COMPARISON ON HER NIGHT!

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
They're not.

Now they're hounding that poor girl, demanding to know about why she popped 3T, etc. etc.

And they've already started a bunch of specials, analyzing Mao & Yuna's LP side by side to determine why Mao lost gold.

NHK newsroom mood was very down after Mao's silver.

It's a travesty.

Sh*t. That's not good. Didn't they crucify Miki after Torino? Please tell me they're not going to treat her as bad as that.

cocopuffs

Spectator
Although Yuna won gold, which was well deserved, I didn't really enjoy her performance tonight. Her program was not as exciting as Mirai's and Mao's. Yuna looked beautiful on the ice, and I liked her makeup and costume, but I was not captivated by her program tonight compared to Mirai's.

jeanettetan

On the Ice
I'd love that. However, after watching Mirai Nagasu skate like that as a 16yo, I can't help but think the next OGM is hers to lose. Aside from a little more strength and maturity that will surely come with age, her skating just has it all. Her performance brought me right out of my seat today.

4 years is a long time. remember all the hype about mao during the previous oly season?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one is comparing Michelle and Yu Na. Yu Na is one of the best of all time, too.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to YuNa, Mao and Joannie. YuNa was perfection, Mao was fiery and made history, Joannie was pure elegance on the ice. Best darn Olympic Ladies event I have seen and I have seen quite a few. Also congratulations to Mirai and Rachael for placing 4th and 7th, they brought their A game tonight and kicked some butt.