Could a perfect Kwan have beaten a perfect Yu-Na? | Golden Skate

Could a perfect Kwan have beaten a perfect Yu-Na?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Agreed.

Michelle is Michelle and Yuna is Yuna.

End of discussion.

Poor reasoning. Why hold competitions at all, then? Since everyone is special and unique and "shouldn't be compared."

I think the question is valid. Yu-Na has a Triple-Triple and MK did not (outside of the 3Toe-3Toe).

For me, depsite Yu-Na's superior jumping ability, I would place a top MK performance ahead of a top Yu-Na performance. MK has the stronger spiral, so that helps on the tech side, and in terms of musical interpretation Kwan pulls ahead.

It's too bad that Yu-Na's best programs came earlier in her career ("Roxanne" and "The Lark Ascending"). If Yu-Na skated those programs cleanly today, then it would definitely be a much harder decision. In that case I think I would place Yu-Na ahead. However, there's no telling is Kwan could have gotten a consistent 3Flip-3Toe had she constantly trained it earlier in her career. She had the talent, so I tend to think she would have been able to do it. In which case she wins this theoretical battle.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Why do people manage to bring Kwan into every thread?

And no, Yuna has a 3-3 and Michelle never did so Yuna would win. Michelle's spirals are better but in everything else, Yuna wins.

tommyk75

Rinkside
Michelle never had a triple-triple??? Come on, Michelle's combo might have been easier (the triple toe-triple toe), but she's done PLENTY of triple-triples in her career.

It's tough to compare Michelle and Yu-Na's programs because they were competing under different systems, but personally, I give Michelle the edge, because she's done several 7-triple programs with great choreography and a triple-triple combination all included. I think Yu-Na's done that only once a couple of years back, and she had a shaky landing on one of her triples, and her choreography wasn't quite at the level it is now. If Yu-Na ever gets the triple loop back and does a perfectly clean program with either the triple lutz-triple toe or the triple flip-triple toe combo as well as her characteristic speed and artistry, THEN I'd say Yu-Na's better.

katha

On the Ice
Erm, wasn't Kwan laying down 7 triple LPs for years? Has Yu-Na ever done that? I'm just saying, technical ability is more than one (admittedly great) triple-triple combo...but then I also think that Kwan's technical abilities are severely under-appreciated. She had a triple-triple till 2001 and often landed EVERYTHING. I can't remember one single instance where Kim was flawless throughout the competition. But since Michelle became known for and associated with her artistry and connection to the audience, her very, very solid technical basics often get dismissed.

But I agree with some of the other posters: You can't really compare. At least not in the "what if they were competing against each other?" way. Of course Kim would win, she is a great skater at the height of her powers who is perfectly suited to the current judging system. Kwan is from a different era. There were other requirements at the time, so her programs were structured according to the rules of the 6.0 system. It's as silly as saying that Torvill/Dean are inferior to Virtue/Moir because they didn't have the technical difficulty in 1984 that the skaters in 2010 have. All you can compare is competitive record, skating strengths, weaknesses and influence on the sport.

Moxie

On the Ice
I will always wonder how an injury-free Michelle, with more time to acclimate to the new rules, would have fared under COP. Ditto with Ito.

miki88

Medalist
The answer is who knows cause they never got to compete at the same competition under the same rules. In my personal opinion, Michelle tops everyone in terms of artistry and Midori Ito tops everyone in terms of jumps. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think this thread is hilarious. I LOL when I saw it because I knew some people would jump right in and and others would roll their eyes.:rolleye: Should become a GS tradition every Olympics. See how many years it lasts... hee..

I don't know who would win but I still like Michelle Kwan better than Kim Yuna. I love Yuna but she has one or two awkward moments in her programs. Michelle had none, or at least masked them better - probably easier under the 6.0 system, but still. And nobody can match Michelle in term of projecting emotion, certainly Yuna. Yuna is exciting and mezmerizing to watch. But Michelle gave me chills.

Ren

On the Ice
I agree with most of the things you said. The only reason we may not want to compare yuna and mao is that we didn't actually see them compete, though.
It's too bad "the lark ascending" was never delivered to its full potential. The program itself had the BEST choreography. I wished that she used lark ascending for her olympics lp. or just use it again in competetive season sometime.. (highly unlikely since she said in public she doesn't like any birds in general :laugh:)

And didn't Yu-Na say she has come to associate "The Lark Ascending" with her injury that year? There was pain when she skated it, IIRC. Such a shame, because it was a beautiful program.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Um...This is a Kwan thread. ;)

I don't know how many triple-triples Yu-na has done in major competitions, but Michelle did it eleven times in her career. :yes:

Pretty sure Yuna has done it more times. But I thought toward the end of her career Michelle didn't do 3-3s anymore? Anyways, because Michelle skated under 6.0 I think it's hard to tell how she'd score under 2010 CoP.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Pretty sure Yuna has done it more times. But I thought toward the end of her career Michelle didn't do 3-3s anymore? Anyways, because Michelle skated under 6.0 I think it's hard to tell how she'd score under 2010 CoP.

Who said it would have to be under 2010 CoP?
Why not under 1990 era 6.0? :)

And who said it would have to be Michelle at the end of her career? I think the premise was if they competed in their prime. That doesn't mean 30 year Michelle vs 19 year old Yuna.
Is that how you saw it in one of your dreams? ;)

How about this? We take Yuna, Michelle, and Mao and put them against 1976 Dorothy Hamill.
There would be school figures and no triple jumps.
How much would Dorothy win by?

Dorothy would win by a whole lot :laugh:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Who said it would have to be under 2010 CoP?
Why not under 1990 era 6.0? :)

And who said it would have to be Michelle at the end of her career? I think the premise was if they competed in their prime. That doesn't mean 30 year Michelle vs 19 year old Yuna.
Is that how you saw it in one of your dreams? ;)

How about this? We take Yuna, Michelle, and Mao and put them against 1976 Dorothy Hamill.
There would be school figures and no triple jumps.
How much would Dorothy win by?

Dorothy would win by a whole lot :laugh:

That's actually kinda intriguing. When I read that I picked instinctively without even thinking too much.... Yuna! I was surprised at my own choice but I just think, Yuna would have always gotten 5.8 and probably a whole lot of 5.9s for technical merit, wouldn't she? And her artistic marks would have been very high too. I think it's a situation sort of like Tara-Michelle in 98 where Tara was just good enough artistically that the judges had to put her first. Only Yuna is way better than Tara.

Yet, I still prefer Michelle. A lot.

prettykeys

Medalist
Under 6.0, probably Michelle. Under CoP, YuNa.

Michelle's 11 triple-triples over the span of her career is peanuts compared to YuNa, who has likely done it more than 20 times since her senior debut (considering YuNa usually does 2 in every competition, participates in the Grand Prix, 4CC, and Worlds, etc.) YuNa would have a huge advantage over Michelle with her SP and its carry-over effect into the final scores under CoP. It would still be close, but yeah, YuNa > Michelle under CoP.

Under 6.0, Michelle would have the edge, unless YuNa went back to the Roxanne/Lark level programs, in which case it would come down to whoever delivered better technical elements/jumps.