Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame? | Golden Skate

Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame?

lulu

Final Flight
Yes, another "fluff" question;)

The world figure skating hall of fame is to honor skaters who have brought something to skating.
The criteria are; must be retired from amateur skating for at least five year.
Outstanding amateur record or
Notable contributions to techncial aspects or
Notable contributions to artistic aspects or
Notable contribution as a professional

Here is a list of people who have already been inducted:
http://www.theskateblade.com/reference/hof.htm

Some interesting results, Janet Lynn-whom many people consider to be one of the best figure skaters of all time, did not get inducted until almost 25 years later. Irina Rodnina-the most decorated figure skater ever, did not get inducted until almost a decade later.
Coaches can also be inducted, interesting, Frank Caroll, Moskvin/Moskvina and Tarasova are not in it yet.

Once a skater is nominated, their name is presented to a panel made up of coaches, former skaters, other skating people. they need to get a 2/3 vote to get in.

mpal2

Final Flight
Moskvina may not be in it yet, but she is still coaching. I am quite sure that she will make it into the list. I think that Fank Carroll will also have a good shot at making the list along with Michelle. She has quite an impressive run of medals at Worlds. I would also say that Irina has a shot at the list.

I would expect to see Artur Dimitriev just on the fact of winning the Olympic gold with 2 different partners.

Can choreographer's be included? Most of them have skated at one point or another and I would say they have a lot to do with the success of skating.

I'll have to ponder this a little more, but those are the people that come to my mind right now.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Just a tiny thought, you'd think Lutz would be in there. I was surprised to see Salchow and Axel P. but not him.

Jhar55

Medalist
I think Tara will be at some time, not becasue of her skating but for the reason that she does hold the title of being the youngest world champion not sure about olympic.

icenut84

Final Flight
Jhar55 said:
I think Tara will be at some time, not becasue of her skating but for the reason that she does hold the title of being the youngest world champion not sure about olympic.

She was youngest Olympic champion too.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Bourne and Kraatz, should, in my opinion definitely be considered. Considering the longevity of their career, their ability to end the dominance of Europeans in Ice Dance, and the "invention" of hydroblading, I would certainly like to see them considered.

Michelle Kwan - no explanation necessary

Kurt Browning perhaps, just because I love him and his sense of style :love:

Canuck

Interesting list. Dorothy Hamill was elected only in 2000 -- two years after Kristi Yamaguchi.

I agree about Kurt Browning. He was a four-time world champion as an amateur and the first to do a quad. As a professional he took the sport to new technical (footwork) and artistic (Singin' in the Rain) heights.

Michelle Kwan? She has carried the sport of figure skating on her shoulders for a decade.:love:

Mathman

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Very odd list. I find it strange that Klimova & Ponomarenko got included, but Bestmenianova & Bukin did not.

lulu

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Very odd list. I find it strange that Klimova & Ponomarenko got included, but Bestmenianova & Bukin did not.

Bestmenianova and Bukin might still be included. Some skaters have gotten inducted right after their 5 year waiting period is over, others have been inducted 20 years after their amateur years.

I believe the 5 year waiting period refers to skaters only, not coaches.

Another interesting finding, Irina Rodnina was inducted-but Ulanov and Zaitsev were not.

Last edited:

blurrysarah

On the Ice
anya_angie said:
Just a tiny thought, you'd think Lutz would be in there. I was surprised to see Salchow and Axel P. but not him.

Maybe it's because the lutz is such an irritating jump to learn :D
At least from this skater's view.

berthes ghost

Final Flight

Other than inventing the Lutz jump, Italian skater Tomas Lutz apparently never did anything of note.

I didn't see Werner Rittberger (inventor of the loop jump) on the list either, and he has 3 world silver medals.

The axel was aparently the first jump invented, but Axel Paulsen was not a figure skater but a famous speed skater and stunt skater.

Ulrich Salchow was of course the first Oly champ and still the leader with a record 10 world championship titles. I would be suspect of any list that kept him off.

berthes ghost

Final Flight

I don't know the criteria, but I'm pretty sure that just being the youngest, oldest, fattest, tallest or whatever whatever isn't merit enough for a hall of fame.

Sonja and Dick may have been the youngest, and they may have more titles and gold medlas than an army of skaters, but I really think that the main reason they were elected in the hall was because of the huge influence thay had on the sport and how they left it different that it was when they began.

If Tara gets elected, it will be for her skating.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I totally understand Kristi being there, but IMHO Midori had a huge influence on the sport. She definately pushed the ladies technically and I'm sure was a big reason why figures were done away with.

The list does seem to be a little thin on Canadian Men. Toller, Brian, Kurt, Elvis: I think that one could build a case of any or all of them being there.

lulu

Final Flight
Berthes ghost,

ITA w/you about Midori Ito deserving to be in the hall of fame-she upped the technical level for ladies in a way that had not been matched in the same way.

I also agree Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning and Brian Orser deserve to be in there. I can also see Elvis being in there-for the impact he had on upping the technical content for men.

Dance:
Grishuk and Platov-outstanding record, and known for their speed, technique etc.
Bestemova and Bukin: 2 Olympic medals, brought a theatrical style to ice dance, still involved in innovative ice dance theater today.

Pairs:
Artur Dmitriev (either by himself or perhaps as with M&D)-For the gold medals, But more importantly, for the influence they had on pair teams today.

I can also see Valova and Vasiliev being inducted for their record, and they were the first team to constantly do sbs triples-deserve some sort of recongition.

Lois

Rinkside
Robin Cousins still isn't in the Hall of Fame either. I've long considered their selections to be often arbitrary and political. For instance, John Curry, who I would have considered a no-brainer for instant election as soon as he was eligible, for his enormous impact on skating, wasn't elected to the Hall of Fame until about 8 years after he became eligible (which was *supposed* to happen 5 years after a skater had turned pro--I'm not sure if they've changed that rule now that there isn't a real pro-amateur distinction). In contrast, you have a USFSA favorite like Kristi getting elected almost immediately, and in their most flagrant violation of their own rules the Hall of Fame put Brian Boitano, Katarina Witt, and Gordeeva & Grinkov in the Hall of Fame years BEFORE they were eligible (due to their 1994 reinstatement to compete in the Olympics, none of them should have been eligible until 1999--I'm not saying they shouldn't be in there, just not before 1999!).

There are quite a few skaters who I feel have been snubbed by the Hall for a long time now--besides Robin Cousins, I would definitely include Toller Cranston, Midori Ito, Underhill & Martini, Brian Orser, and Kurt Browning, and probably Wilson & McCall too--but I just don't take the Hall of Fame seriously after some of the things that they have done, like breaking their own rules to get the '94 reinstatees in prematurely, instead of finally electing some of the long-snubbed skaters.

Lois

lulu

Final Flight
Does anyone know who is on the panel? It is made up of former skaters/coaches/other people in skating-but I don't know any of the names on the list.

I too was wondering why the reinstated skaters got in when they did. Again-not saying that they shouldn't be there!-Just that they shouldn't have been inducted when they were.

I don't think anyone is losing sleep over whether they are in the hall of fame or not, but is interesting to see who is chosen.

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
ITA about your reply to me Berthers ghost :)

Salchow does have an awesome record, wonder what it was like to see him.

Yeah, I thought it was interesting that Paulson (arg I can never get the spelling right lol) was inducted even thought he was a speed skater. However what would the sport be like without him? :D

Modern skaters, Robin, Kurt, definitely should have a place in there. Didn't Robin choreograph The Cutting Edge? lol.

frozetoez

Rinkside
berthes ghost said:
Other than inventing the Lutz jump, Italian skater Tomas Lutz apparently never did anything of note.

Actually, the Lutz is named after Alois Lutz who was an Austrian skater.

I find it interesting that Scott Hamilton is in the World Hall of Fame, but he's not in the U.S. Hall. :confused:

Jim Hodges

Spectator
Who should be in the world figure skating hall of fame

I think Grishuk/Platov should be in the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame. Thier record in Ice Dance is unequaled and they did win two olympic gold medals.